NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reid, Your new 390 in the Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reid, Your new 390 in the Classic
    Posted: April-25-2007 at 9:21am
Doesn't the classic have a 12" prop? Are you doing any mods to the shaft/strut to swing a larger dia. or just counting on higher RPM's and more prop pitch. I'm just thinking about how you are planning on getting that much HP to the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 9:33am
I figure this thread would be a better place for these pics that Reid posted.

Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Here's MY 393 (390+.020") which I just picked up from Holman Moody Friday afternoon. It's off to the painters tomorrow for some vintage INTERCEPTOR green paint. The painters are actually me and buddies at the local wooden boat shop who have the color custom mixed since you can't buy it anymore. This 390 was born in '63 as a 300HP engine with high-for-a-marine engine 9.6 compression. It's now up to an honest 10.3 according to Silvolite, who provided the forged flat tops. HM reground the cam to a more aggressive .480" lift pattern and we went with the Edelbrock Perf RPM intake shown and are hoping for maybe 340-350 solid HP. They would dyno it, but guess what,... the standard dyno won't do a rev rot engine.     

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 11:17am
Good question, I would be very interested in hearing how your prop selection/testing goes, that thing is going to be a monster.
Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 7:38am
Reid, I was starting to worry that something happened to you but as you stated in your other post you have just been away for a week. Glad to hear that's all it was. So now, how are you getting that HP to the water?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 5:45pm
Pete, Sorry I missed this post the other nite when I returned home. While I believe Classics originally had something like 12x14s from the factory with 312 engines, this boat came to me with a 13x14 which is on it now. Before the rebuild it would turn about 42-4400rpm. As you can see from this photo, a PO added this adjustable angle strut. There's evidence of a run-aground with glass repair above the prop, so I don't know why this was added and whether it was a replacement for a bent strut or installed when the engine was installed in '63 in order to gain more clearance. Someone else with an original strut Classic may be able to tell us how much clearance there is with whatever size prop, or mainly a 12" dia. Multiple previous owners ran it for years with 300HP and I'll assume a 13" prop but you never can tell. For a 17' boat she's on the heavy side at 2400-2500 lbs from what I've read, so it won't be a crazy amount of HP I don't think. If the boat runs 50-55 mph I'll be tickled. The engine is now a pretty light green with "Brainard approved" detailing. I lost a week on the project because of "Work" (I hate that stuff), but will be back at it this coming week. Gotta go to dinner now, catch back up later.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2007 at 7:29am
Reid, Do you know if the hull damage above the prop is from grounding and not erosion from the prop being to close to the hull? I can't really tell from the picture how much clearance there is.

What boat are you bringing to Green Lake?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2007 at 9:35am
Good Sunday morning all. Pete, the hull damage looks most definitely like a repair. The clearance between prop and hull on this boat, about 3/4", is actually greater than what I have on several Mustangs with 12"ers.
I'm currently like a kid anticipating Christmas morn on this project so I'll keep posting progress.

As for Green Lake, I'd love to bring this boat, esp with the fresh engine, but I don't think it'll fit in our toy hauler camper which we only measured and verified for a Mustang before buying and the Classic is somewhat wider. The camper is still down in FLA and yet to make it to our home for actual fitment testing. So it looks like the little light blue Mustang gets the nod. I'm trying dilegently to enlist another follower or two for the trip up who may be able to tow another boat which would be the 390.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 5:28pm
Well the 390 is now green and back at Holman Moody. The pics make it look a little more blue than green. It was sort of hard justifying the painting of the intake, but I wanted the vintage orig look. Plus I plan to loose the wing tip valve cover bolts which were on it from a PO, and may loose the red plug wires also. Can't decide on them yet. I'll find out tomorrow whether it gets re-installed in the boat right there at HM and test-run on site. That will certainly be the quickest route, but you know the downside $$.

While there I also took pics of a couple of neat old Ford race cars, both 427 powered. I won't even try and compete with MM's bikini clad pics, but to some guys these seem to have the same effect.

ReidP
1973 Mustang

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

MM's bikini clad pics

wud I miss?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 10:28pm
Tom, that was a reference to MaddMarxx's remarkably well-updated thread "Signs of life on the sand bar", like you hadn't noticed, and not Mark in a bikini.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 11:14pm
Did I miss the Mark in a bikini pics?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 11:38pm
That looks to be a 64 Thunderbolt. It would make a great tow vehicle for the old '62!

I can't tell which series the GT40 is.
Both machines are incredible, rare and extrememly valuable. Thanks for the 427 fix!

Ah yes, boats. Here is the pic of the strut from my '62 classic. I believe it to be original.

It is 5-1/2 inches from the center of the back of the strut to the hull. I currently have a 12x13 OJ 4 blade. The PO had a 13x14. Hence the hull rash around the rudder.

Your motor looks fantastic! I'm green with envy.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 11:50pm
is that an original GT40 !!!!!!!!!!!... your motor looks nice and shiny:)
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2007 at 4:52am
MMmmmmmmm, GT40!!!
Easily Parted From Money
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2007 at 4:55am
Reid, It sure looks good to me with the exceptions of the non original items you have already mentioned!!! The color correct paint job makes me want to pull my 312 and start working on it. I'll give it a couple more years unless something happens. I like yourself have other priorities / projects going on.

The plug wires and boots on my 4 cyl. Atom were not correct from when I rebuilt it 20 years ago. (white silicone) You can imagine how it drove me up a wall but somehow I put up with it untill it started running poorly. (I found lots of green corroded teminal ends but have since discovered dielectric grease!) It wasn't easy finding plain black wire that wasn't Bling purple or yellow!! I almost ended up having to buy a whole roll plus bags of 100 plug and distributor ends. A friend directed me to Fleet Farm and I ended up with a universal farm tractor set. Runs better with the plain wire than it did with the fancy stuff!! I found out that since it is the original 6 volt that plain wire is the only way to go and I didn't care how many TV's it screwed up!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BlondieGurl1443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondieGurl1443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2007 at 8:15pm
Is this what you guys had in mind???????

By the way, nice motor reid!!!!!!!
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2007 at 8:35pm
Damn...Im hott..You guys need to be careful what you ask for!!

Reid, the motor looks hot, is that the one I get use when we come up??
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 12:43am
Reid, that motor is smokin hot!

MM, so is your body in that shot but you are definitely a 2 bagger, one for you and one for ?, in case yours breaks!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 1:47am
I sure wish you'd taken your shirt off when we were working on the '80 or later when we went out on Lake Shipp. But I realize Blondie must feel she has to keep that bod under wraps.

Blondie: You enjoying being off school?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 7:33am
MM, Yep that's the boat/engine you'll be running when you come up, IF... you're wearing that swimsuit.

Thanks quinner. I'm still looking forward to a day at Blarney's.

About the cars above, they were both build at the HM shop from the ground up just several years back, so not original. The Fairlane, while looking like a Thunderbolt drag car as Raindog mentioned, was actually custom built as a vintage road course racer for a customer.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 12:20pm
Nice looking mill. What area of lkn are you on? We have a place off perth near the airport...maybe I'll see you around.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 1:33pm
Bremsen, Come on by! I thought I'd read somewhere that you were near. We're way down towards the end of Brawley on past The Point. By water you hit marker 7 then turn SE about 10 o'clock across the channel. Look for the white roof boathouse one dock in from point facing north. Normally we're hanging out by the dock on weekends and many weeknites when it's nice.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 2:30pm
Yeh, it was in waterdog's thread....I got confused on who lived up there. May just have to swing by sometime. Would love to get a look at that mustang. We're up in stumpy creek right at the end of the runway (just follow the planes in), grey boathouse.

Oh, and tell Lee the guys at Essex say hello.

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 8:59pm
Are you anywhere near or know Fast Eddie, the world-renowned marathon barefooter with the Python re-powered BFN? This guy has three incredible BFNs. I need to get some picts of his boats posted.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 3:59pm
Just a step closer. Off the engine stand and onto the prep table. The trans, carb, and plumbing are all completed. May be in the boat later this week.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 5:29pm
reid that looks great, clean enough to eat off..
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 5:37pm
Reid,

I think I just found my new screen saver.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 6:04pm
Reid, Are you sure the color is correct? Just kidding! It really is looking great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 6:41pm
Wow, that's looking incredible Reid. Once I get our interior back in I'll have to stop by and say hello.

I don't know fast eddie, but the house was just purchased recently....we mainly stay on MIL. I've seen several barefooters up that way, but never behind a CC. A python re-powered BFN, thats got to be a sight (and sound )
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 7:49am
I think we can label this a cream puff,
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic