NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

first oil change

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first oil change
    Posted: July-23-2007 at 11:37pm
i want to change the oil for the first time since i've owned my 1982 american skier. i was just looking for a drain plug and couldn't find a plug under the oil pan. what i did find was pictured below

also, i'm planning on using mercruiser 25w-40 conventional motor oil. think that's good? the engine is a ford commander 351w. How many quarts 5 I think??

I have pump that i found in my bilge too. i'm assuming
that's for pumping the oil out. it's just a clear tube with a hand pump half way up it.

i've changed oil in my harley and cars several times..... just don't want to f*** my boat up.

thanks for the input.

cfk280 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cfk280 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 11:40pm
If your boat is on a trailer or on a lift, run the hose in your hand out the drain hole in the hull and drain the old oil. This is the easiest way. Pumping is a longer process and sometimes you do not get all the oli out. Good Luck
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 11:51pm
so that is definitely the oil drain though right?
i idled along for like 2 hours last weekend and am paranoid that i have gas in the oil and it couldn't hurt to change it anyways.

thanks!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:00am
The oil plug is located at the rear of the pan ...I can.t tell whats in the picture , but I am guessing someone rigged a drain hose to the pan...thats good! After the engine is warm run the hose through the hull where the t- plug screws in and drain it into a pan(etc).

5 quarts for a PCM Ford 351...be sure to get a new filter too!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:11am
sweetness. how about the fuel/water seperator filter? should i change that while i'm at it? just unscrew and put the new one in right? don't have to bleed the fuel line or anything do i?

thanks guys.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:23am
No. Today's motor oil is eating cams left and right, not enough zinc-d. look it up, you will need an off-road or diesel oil or a suitable additive.

Pumping the oil is just fine
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:28am
yes, phospher, that is definitly the oil drain. you don't have to bleed the fuel line, although, you will loose a little fuel when you start removing the filter. is that a one piece fuel filter there in the picture or do you have a cannister with a fuel filter inside with a water drain plug on the bottom?
bill
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:43am
gottaski, i don't get your comments. are you serious about getting an off-road or diesel oil?
i called my local inboard marina and they recommended he mercruiser oil.

bill1,

it's a napa gold 3225 filter. there is no drain plug from what i can see. just screws into a mount that has the fuel inlet and outlet.

-phil

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 1:15am
use rotela 15w40 and leave the mercruiser sh*t for mercrusiers.

Or if you want to spend some more cash use royal purple, or lucus racing oils.

yes seriously

as in don't listen to the i/o dealer's/mechanic
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 1:31am
rotela 15w 40 it is. thanks. another concern of mine......

i smell a bit of gas in the oil. this scares me but i hope it's nothing to big.....

boat runs like a top. haven't noticed the oil level fluctuate at all.....

i realize it could be worn rings but someone give me some hope here... tell me something that won't make me cry.

i did spend a LONG time idling around the last time i was out...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 1:49am
well if the rings are worn they can let some gas into the oil not good, a compression test needs perfromed before it's too late and your buying a new motor.

Also the first place to look is the fuel pump expecially if it's an automotive pump and not a marine version, if marine then you need to look at the clear tube going to the flame arrestor from the pump and see if there is any moister or fluid inside of the tube if so the pump's shot and needs replace ASAP.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 1:58am
phospher,I had issues with the 15/40 with an FL1-A filter. After 15 high speed passesin excess of 5000 rpm's oil press. dropped to 10 psi and developed a lifter tick @ 400 rpm's.
Motor is 331 stroker ,less than 30 hrs.Changed to 40 weight Rotalla T,with a Wix filter.She now holds 30@ idle and 60 @ cruise.Do not know if the filter or the oil or combo of both, just telling my story...............boat dr

Chris, there is nothing wrong with the blended 25/40 M/Cruiser oils,have used it inthe black motors for years and never saw an oil related failure,bur I will not run it im my 331...nuff said on M/Cruiser oil....
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:03am
Is that duct tape on that supply line from the tranny cooler?

cfk280 on some of the older boats,drain plug under the front seat ,pumping is the only option.Does not matter if you gravity feed or suck it out ,the end result is the same............boat dr
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:20am
it's actually electrical tape. and i put it there so that the hose clamp from the fuel/water seperator doesn't cut into it because it rubs a little.

it's not patching a hole or anything.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:23am
79nautique,

i don't see any moisture in the clear tube that runs into the flame arrestor. so if the piston rings are worn would I need a motor rebuild or possibly just the rings replaced? how much would a rebuild run me in a shop because that's way over my head.

oh, and i'm selling my harley. just want to focus all my funds to boating...and i'll probably need those funds!

thanks,

-phil
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:26am
you need to look for fluid at the base of the tube at the fuel pump not at the flame arrestor.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:41am
ah ok. i'll go check.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:50am
79nautique,

no i didn't see any. the tube isn't very clear so i couldn't really tell. so i disconnected the hose from the flame arrestor and put the tube below the fuel pump so that any moisture would drain out. nothing came out nor did i see any.

thanks,
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 8:38am
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

gottaski, i don't get your comments. are you serious about getting an off-road or diesel oil?
i called my local inboard marina and they recommended he mercruiser oil.

That's because he makes the most $$ on the Merc oil!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 10:51am
Stinky oil could also be carburation, pisin gas after shutdown, or you smellin that dangerous puddle of gas on the back of the intake. When running, the jugs are typically under vacuum, the gas would have to go the wrong way to get in the oil.
A compression test is in order before calling the engine toast.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 11:45am
Where are you smelling gas in the oil? Hard to tell where the smell is coming from until you drain it. I'd do the oil + filter change, see if you smell gas in the drained oil or if the oil seems very thin, then run for a few days and drain a cup of oil out to see if its getting contaminated. Since you have the drain hose its easy to hold the hose up, take off the cap, lower it to drain a bit, then raise it and re-cap it.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:52pm
I think that's exactly what I'll do 63 skier. I'm going to change the oil this weekend. I'm smelling gas on the oil dipstick.

If the rings were bad wouldn't i see a loss of power or rough running? Or perhaps the problem isn't bad enough to affect the engine. I'm hoping it's fine for a while because if I tell my wife I need a new engine a few weeks after we bought the boat she'll kill me. I've put 20hrs on the boat since I bought it with 600hrs.

thanks
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:37pm
If rings are going bad, you might not notice the loss of power, might be only one cylinder, might be bad but not completely shot, who knows. So, the compression test is needed to tell you what shape each cylinder is in, and from there you'll know whether you need a rebuild or not.

To maybe cheer you up a bit, at 600 hours, assuming the prior owner did reasonable maintenance, I think there is a good chance the engine is OK. Run a bit on the new oil and see if the oil has the gas smell, and do the compression test. Ask a local repair guy if you can trailer the boat over so he can do the test, won't be expensive or take long.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 3:04pm
thanks 63 skier. i'll do that and follow up here.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 6:54pm
my wife's dad has a few compression testing tools. i think i'll get one from him and test the compression. i read a post in here on how to do it and it seems pretty easy.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 10:28pm
i just replaced the fuel/water seperator. now that the new fuel filter is emtpy will i have any problems starting or will it just fill up right away. obviously the one i took out of there was full of fuel.

i also drained a little oil out and i didn't really smell any fuel.....

the whole dam boat smells like fuel to me... sitting in my garage, but that's probably the vented fuel tank and the little bit of fuel i just spilled replacing the filter. next comes the oil change then i'll keep an eye on the oil for gas in it.

bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 12:20am
probably won't fire right up, but after the engine turns over and the pump starts pumping, it will start up. that is if it has been starting easy before all this servicing you are doing.
bill
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 1:48am
oh yeah, always fires right up... so just keep her cranking to let the fuel filter fill with fuel? should i have filled the filter with fuel like an oil filter?
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 2:00am
no, it fire up in a few seconds when the gas gets to the carb.
bill
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 10:43am
phospher,

I changed my fuel filter on mine last night. Boat started up with one crank. Make sure you check for leaks on the filter as soon as you get it started.

Also, if your smelling that much fuel please check your rubber fuel lines all the way back to the tank. On my 81 I had to change them all out as the were dry and cracking.

Wash the bilge out with a good bilge cleaner/degreaser then deodrize everything, bilge carpet seat bottoms. Get it good and clean and that might help because these things can stink like an auto garage when they're messy.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic