Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bird Problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pipester101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipester101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bird Problems
    Posted: November-08-2007 at 3:41pm
Anyone else have problems with birds, ducks, etc... polluting your boat cover or ski platform?

Anyone know how to keep them off? Unfortunately it is not in a covered dock.

Thanks in advance
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 4:00pm
Borrow one of Billy's (Boat Doc) bird dogs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 5:01pm
I don't have this problem, but at the marinas at the lake where sea gulls are a problem, I have seen several attemps to discourage birds.

1. The marina uses a propane cannon that shoots off on a timer.

2. Artifical Owls

3. Artifical Snakes

4. Whirlly gigs with long arms that spin in the wind. would not work well on a swim platform

Most of this stuff can be purchased through West Marine
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 5:26pm
The dogs will only "point them" not flush and retreive.The blow up OWLS work good down here , but we have dumb, redneck birds with no education and a family tree that does not fork........
Pgaski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 5:46pm
               Shotgun

A semi-auto 12gauge works nicely.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Pgaski Pgaski wrote:

Shotgun

A semi-auto 12gauge works nicely.

Youd shoot one of those at the birds sitting on your boat? I think Id prefer a stained cover!
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 6:03pm
Use a .177 cal pellet rifle.

Heat 1/16" extra virgin olive oil very hot in a heavy skillet. (Paul Newman's Own Olive Oil is suprisingly good.) Cut birds in half. Season with salt & pepper. Place halves in slightly smoking olive oil. Reduce heat to medium. Add sliced fresh garlic. One 1/8" slice of salt pork. Add tablespoon of real butter. Add 3/4 cup of good red dry wine and cover for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to simmer. Add sprig of fresh sage. Cover & simmer until meat falls off bone. Serve with fried pollinta or hot french bread and your choice of wine. Garnish plate with fresh sprigs of sage.

Your friends and family will love this recipe.

They will begin to help you catch the birds. Your boat will remain clean as long as everyone is hungry.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 7:36pm
I was in Warsaw, Indiana, doing some footing when we saw seagulls on top of a crap covered boat hoist awning, ducking as the arms of one of those whirly gigs went over their heads.
Laughed our asses off.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 7:48pm
We also have a problem with the gulls on the clubs ski jump. There are times when we have to send our younger members in training out there with brooms to scrum it off the fiberglass deck!

Steve, you're correct that they ignore moving things meant to scare them off. The plastic owl worked for about 2 days before they figured it out!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 10:05pm
Steve that's too funny. Damn sea gulls are too smart, why is it they pick out one boat and attack it! Must have been a pissed off neighbor threw bird seed on top
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 11:35pm
I used to keep my old Chris Craft under a covered boat slip on Fish River near Fairhope Alabama. One Sunday afternoon when docking, there were several ducks gathered around where my slip was. As I eased up closer they were scared away. I did kinda intentionally "goose" a few of them though to get them to move. They didn't scare that easily as they were there almost year around. The next day I returned to the marina and found my interior and decks covered with poop. Until then I hadn't had a problem with them. It made me wonder if they did this knowingly for revenge.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 2:27am
Thanks J_I_H.

You never seem to run out of different (unusual?) answers to questions.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 11:17am
My In-Laws place in Minocqua had huge issues with gulls on the boat lift. He finally attached a vertical rod at each corner of the lift. Each rod was about a foot tall. Then strung fishing line around the circumference of the lift and then corner to corner at the tip of each rod. Haven't had any issues since then, and that was five or six years ago. Others around the lake have done that too with the same results.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
pipester101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipester101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 11:27am
Thanks for the replies. It is a real pain but oh well, what can you do...

Grabs rifle...

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 12:00pm
I use JIH's meathod...though I'll pass on turkey buzzard for dinner! LOL I also like what backfoot said; I can see where that would throw them off.

These neo-dinosaurs are smart. The turkey buzzards come in a large group of 50-100 maybe, and they have trashed a neighbors pontoon boat. They get on the dock tops and crap in a projectile manner and claw up eveything they choose to perch on?!!?

I've found that by watching for a few minutes, the boss or pecking order can be deciphered. In the beginning of this I'd pop the tree right next to the top group a few times and maybe get a flight feather if they had to be stubborn. And they will be stubborn! I watched them stare back at me a make fly overs with binoculars. The look in their eyes might be compared to that of a spurned woman.

Anyway, we've had 2 peaceful years and my neighbors are grateful!

just my 2 cents
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 8:06pm
Pigs? now turkeys flying too......50 to 100????

you gotta lay off the stuff Greg, lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 8:30am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Pigs? now turkeys flying too......50 to 100????

you gotta lay off the stuff Greg, lol

I still want to come see your shop sometime after the new year, but now I'll have to bring this book I have. It's called '101 practical jokes to play on transmission shop owners named Eric'!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 10:58am
Lifes to short, to not laugh
your more than welcome, this is absolutely the worst time of year, i go from 14 hour days to nothing and it drives me crazy, i have work to do and dont feel like doing it, this dead spot comes every year and it gets harder to deal with every year, i unknowingly will pace in the shop, wont sleep, skip meals, its a good time for a laugh
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 11:10am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Lifes to short, to not laugh

To laugh is the better choice I think!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 11:13am
i was tossing that around and was tongue twisted, its a symptom from what i described above
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic