Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Borg Warner Rebuild?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Nautique Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Borg Warner Rebuild?
    Posted: November-15-2007 at 11:34am
Hi Gang-

My 1:1 Borg Warner Trany has developed a good size leak on the shaft end. It also does not engage as smoothly as it once did so I think its time to have the 30 year old baby rebuilt.

I have bought a full seal kit from DIM and now want to find a good tranny guy close by to my NH location to do the work.

Any thoughts on a good rebuilder?
What should I expect to pay for the work?

Thanks alot!
NM
Nautique Mike
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 12:00pm
NM, Don't you trust Erik? He's not that far. If you found a shop, they might just ship it to him anyway!! A plastic milk crate makes a great shipping container. Make a plywood lid for it and bolt it in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 12:47pm
plus with the CC discount and winter rates i probably would be sending you a check lol   eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 2:06pm
I know Eric is the man with these trannies- start with him But if shipping it back and forth becomes an issue, there is a great local shop with a great reputation.
Atlantis Marine Gearin Topsfield, MA. They rebuilt the tranny in my 65. In and around the NE area, they have a reputation as the best.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 2:57pm
I found the shipping reasonable. It was $43+- from Maine to OH, which included $13 to put the milk carton in a cardboard box with bubblewrap.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 3:44pm
Riley how (what carrier) did you ship? I have three BW's I want to ship to eric and I am wondering if it is cheaper to strap them all to a pallet or come up with 3 milk cartons.

Eric I am looking to ship you 3 bw, one working, one working but leaking, and one that I haven't touched in 4 years but was working. What I want back is one of the BW rebuilt and beefed up for my 67 mustang (worst case about 375-400 hp with the supercharger), a 1:23:1 Pcm rebuilt and beefed up (if possible to handle if possible about 500hp occasionally). I will also need two dampers. I don't really need them back till the april time frame but if you can give me an email and we can talk about prices, when you would want them, etc. I have been ignoring my transmissions for a few years and this is a good year to take care of them before something happens that costs me a summer.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

my 67 mustang (worst case about 375-400 hp with the supercharger)     

Joe, you know that we're not going to let that slide by without asking questions. Lets hear what youre planning!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 4:14pm
nitrous?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 4:29pm
Joe, I shipped UPS ground. I went to the UPS store with the tranny in the milk carton. I was told to expect high rates, and from past experience, I know they really beat you on the packing. This place told me they have the same rates for UPS whether you bring to the terminal or ship from there. The guy stuffed bubble wrap around the tranny and put the milk carton in a cardboard box and padded it with bubble wrap. 52lbs package for about $43. I thought it was very reasonable. Price also included $500 insurance.

I should note, I never saw the package. The guy told me how he was going to do it, and I left. I assume he packed it right because Eric said it arrived safely.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

nitrous?

He's already alluded to adding nitrous on the 408. Im curious about how hes going to fit a SC under the '67 motorbox.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

nitrous?

He's already alluded to adding nitrous on the 408. Im curious about how hes going to fit a SC under the '67 motorbox.

Heavy Modification, and the box will probably not tilt back and will have to lift off. Will probably just use it as a mold for a new box and sell off the old one to someone looking to be a little more original. Thats a longer term project though considering all that boat needs before it will see the water and how far down the list it is. I had a used mustang paxton supercharger kit fall off a truck in my general direction and even though it is for a late model fuel injected I think I can weld up an acceptable carb box out of aluminum. Worst case I could get those parts from paxton. I was eyeing the 408 when I came upon the kit but a few of my friends talked me out of screwing around too much more with the engine on the nautique and reminded me that the reason I had the mustang was for such nonsense. It should work out better anyway because the 408 has compression that is on the high side for anything more than 4-5 lbs boost.
    The nitrous kit on the 408 is a leftover from the days when I had a lot of points on my license, I still need fuel system and ignition system upgrades before I will even consider getting the bottle filled. All just talk and parts at this point, I will definitely post when they either run or blow up.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 10:32pm
My shipping was more. I sent my BW to Eric UPS in a milk crate that I already packed in a box. Weighted in at 107 #'s, I think it was like $78 and I live in Ohio.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by 2_Nautiques 2_Nautiques wrote:

My shipping was more. I sent my BW to Eric UPS in a milk crate that I already packed in a box. Weighted in at 107 #'s, I think it was like $78 and I live in Ohio.

Riley's trans was the aluminum cased Dearbomatic.

Matt, You must have a cast iron Velvet drive.

Joe, With 3 Velvet drives, I would think the pallet and a trucking line would be the way to ship.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautique Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2007 at 2:03am
Eric-

I would like you to do the work but I thought the shipping was going to be a killer to your shop.

What am I looking @ $ wise to have it rebuilt?

Thanks-
NM
Nautique Mike
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2007 at 1:40pm
NM- Check out Atlantis Marine Gear. Where in NH are you? Depending on how far north your are (Sunapee area?) it's probably worth a ride down there. Most of the local shops just send the trannies to Atlantis anyway...
The rebuild on my 65 was around 400 bucks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2007 at 2:35pm
I send mine over there
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2007 at 3:08pm
Eric, How's my Dearbo looking? You think it wasn't working for the PO because he was trying to run it full of water?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2007 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I send mine over there

I think I see the price difference then...you're the middle man?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2007 at 8:25pm
Greg, i was kidding, they do general overhauls probably, i taylor fit these transmissions to work in ski boats, it depends what you need in these tranny's if you have any hard part damage i guareentee you wont get a rebuild for $400.00. a basic open her up and slap some clutches in is around that price, it is more of a tear down and quote, i rebuild my planetaries, I chrome the input shafts and so on. it all depends on what the trans needs
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2007 at 8:50am

Greg, i was kidding,

...as was I, note the wink. I am more than happy with my reman...for as long as I got to use it. I wish I had thought to order a few buckets of water with it!
Speaking of, it comes out today and won't go back in till spring. Is there a best way to store it while it's not bolted to the rest of the boat?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2007 at 11:08am
are you doing the floors ?, fill the trans to the top with oil and keep in a dry place, living room, bedroom, there was no pun intended with the dry place thing because if you think about ...you are in a dry place
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 1:15am

are you doing the floors ?

I need to do the motor first, and I'm still not sure of the best way to go on it. The floor and stringers do need work...I'll try to get some pics up in a day or so.
1988 BFN-sold

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 3:29pm
It's easier just to take the whole boat to Eric. Right Eric.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 11:27pm
Unless one lives in Florida!

Of course a visit to beautiful Brunswick should be on everyones "to do once" list.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 12:09am
So far I have visited three times with a fourth in the near future.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 2:41am
Next time I am up there I am gonna haveta break a Strongsville rule and go out there to meet eric in person. Might have to wear a disguise so he don't know its me.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 4:08pm
just dont wear boobs
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 10:00pm
eric..I will be sending you the two trannys up to you hopefully by this friday, I picked up the 1/23 trans yesterday, and it looks good!

I will be giving you a call in a day or two..
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 11:34pm
no boobs man...like to look at 'em not wear 'em.

Mark: What is the 1/1:23 tranny for? How is Keith's boat coming BTW?
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 1:46pm
i have a thermal shirt on and as we speak i noticed im getting moobs, they are getting pointy
we laugh cause my brthoer says his wife has 36L's and i asked him what the L stood for and he told me 36 longs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic