Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Question
    Posted: January-12-2008 at 6:21pm
Does anyone out there trickle charge their battery without unhooking it ? I Have been disconnecting it every time & was wondering if this is unnecessary.Sure would be easier to hook up the 1.5 amp battery tender trickle charger with the battery still hooked up. I just don't wanna fry something , thanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2008 at 6:58pm
Dan, Keeping the cables hooked up to the boat doesn't hurt anything. It is sometimes a good idea to disconnect them just to clean up the posts and terminals. If you keep a charger hooked up, make sure it is a "maintainer" and not just a trickle charger as they over time will boil out the electrolyte. I'm in a freezing area and do leave my batteries in the boats disconnected making sure they are fully charged and without any maintainers hooked up. This is from Labor to Memorial days and have never had a problem. Some people do bring their batteries inside to a warm area thinking this is better for the battery. I obviously feel this isn't needed and may be a "old wives tale".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 12:29pm
Hey Pete, leaving them on a concrete floor....wives tale?
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Hey Pete, leaving them on a concrete floor....wives tale?

Eric, There is some truth to this one but only if you have a VERY old lead acid battery. The early hard rubber cases were slightly hygroscopic allowing moisture to build up. This moisture in the case would create a electrical path to moist concrete and over long storage times, the batteries would self discharge. Interestingly, a piece of moist wood would do the same thing!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic