NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Correct Craft Trailer Fenders

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ok Kev, I'll take you up on this one! You haven't been doing to well on your bets lately! You will have to wait until I get up north and that won't be until Memorial day. You do realize that a drop axel is the forged offset from the spring seat to the centerline of the wheel.

I'm not sure I follow. I better be clear since we are getting into double digit $$.

Not this.

This.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 1:49pm
Kev, If the center of the axle is bent down, it is to clear the keel of the boat. On a low boy with a dropped axle it lowers the complete trailer frame (usually 4") in relationship to the road. Here's the picture again so you can look at all 3 on the same page.

Don't worry if you want to change your bet. I certainly will not hold you to it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 2:13pm
Ok I get what you're saying now, but confused as to why you even posted that pic. I see where the spring mounts are different. On a "real life" drop axle they mount on the drop, on the one I made the springs mount on the high end, just with a dip for the keel.

I thought what everyone called a "drop" axle around here was the pic I posted, which I guess really isn't a drop axle like you have made clear. All the CC trailer pics posted all look to have the high spring mounts, irregardless if they dip/drop.

So...if standard and low-boy trailers all have the same spring mounts from the axle, they must have different upper mounts and/or different springs themselves?

HW:0
Pete:2
Still drinking Sam Adams right?

Check out the fenders

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 2:48pm

Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

COST.....................
CC was not in a cash flow mood during that time, and any means to save a buck.......

Yes
Or making their own fiberglass vents with left over glass/resin.
Or on the cheaper models using 2 step pads instead of 4.
It all adds up!

I kinda doubt it, round bolt on stamped fenders could be gotten much cheaper than what it cost CC to make these fenders and the corresponding structure that holds them up. My bet they are square and reinforced as a result of CC succumbing to the reality that trailer fenders serve as boarding steps on a regular basis, something round fenders are not well suited for...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

CC was not in a cash flow mood during that time, and any means to save a buck.......

Yes
It all adds up!

I kinda doubt it, round bolt on stamped fenders could be gotten much cheaper than what it cost CC to make these fenders and the corresponding structure that holds them up. My bet they are square and reinforced as a result of CC succumbing to the reality that trailer fenders serve as boarding steps on a regular basis, something round fenders are not well suited for...

I agree- note how cheap you can find round fenders on ebay. These square ones take a lot more fab. Bruce, I agree that I probably wouldnt choose this style for a new boat, but any CC from the mid 70's to late 80's doesnt look quite right sitting on a trailer with any other fender.

Now that we've got the type of fender squared away (I think), does anyone else need a set? Ill confirm if they are compatible with the 2001 trailers, but I am confident that they will work on 1977-1982 #2 and #3 single axle (not Lowboy) trailers.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I thought what everyone called a "drop" axle around here was the pic I posted, which I guess really isn't a drop axle like you have made clear. All the CC trailer pics posted all look to have the high spring mounts, irregardless if they dip/drop.

I too refered to that pic as a drop axle but I understand that is not really what it is. I will have to check tonight but I believe what CC does with the low boy trailer is to mount the axle on top of the spring as opposed to the spring on top of the axle as on the standard trailers. That would drop the trailer frame down the thickness of the axle then.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Yes
It all adds up!

I agree- note how cheap you can find round fenders on ebay. These square ones take a lot more fab. Bruce, I agree that I probably wouldnt choose this style for a new boat, but any CC from the mid 70's to late 80's doesnt look quite right sitting on a trailer with any other fender.

Now that we've got the type of fender squared away (I think), does anyone else need a set? Ill confirm if they are compatible with the 2001 trailers, but I am confident that they will work on 1977-1982 #2 and #3 single axle (not Lowboy) trailers.
Bruce, I agree that I probably wouldnt choose this style for a new boat, but any CC from the mid 70's to late 80's doesnt look quite right sitting on a trailer with any other fender.

I hear ya. I guess I've just got a thing for those '60's boats. Even the trailers get me excited. Of course, they've got to be painted white, which mine will be eventually.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Yes
It all adds up!

With the fenders and vents, you all may be missing the point that the Doc first made that started this. Cash flow! The bean counters will look at the payables and in a effort to reduce them will pull purchased items back in house. They may or may not know that manufacturing a item will cost more but it will no longer be a payable. They may have the people and during slow times can put them to work in this case making some fenders or sanding vents. No layoffs and no paying the employer share of unemployment.

Joe, If a half circle (the round fender) is firmly attached at the ends, I will say it is stronger than the square one. You do realize that the strongest structural shape is a circle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I too refered to that pic as a drop axle but I understand that is not really what it is. I will have to check tonight but I believe what CC does with the low boy trailer is to mount the axle on top of the spring as opposed to the spring on top of the axle as on the standard trailers. That would drop the trailer frame down the thickness of the axle then.

My (what I feel is a #3LB)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 7:09pm
This is all well and good, but I'll stick with my square fenders. There is less chance of me slipping off the square fender and spilling my beer.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 7:39pm

I will have to check tonight but I believe what CC does with the low boy trailer is to mount the axle on top of the spring as opposed to the spring on top of the axle as on the standard trailers. That would drop the trailer frame down the thickness of the axle then.

Pay the man! Which is exactly why the fenders on the LB trailers need to be taller, since they are mounted to the frame.

Steve, in an emergency situation where you'd have to put your beer down, the square fender top is convenient.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 7:45pm
So, Tim, how many orders is that you have now?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 7:52pm

With the fenders and vents, you all may be missing the point that the Doc first made that started this. Cash flow! The bean counters will look at the payables and in a effort to reduce them will pull purchased items back in house. They may or may not know that manufacturing a item will cost more but it will no longer be a payable. They may have the people and during slow times can put them to work in this case making some fenders or sanding vents. No layoffs and no paying the employer share of unemployment.

Joe, If a half circle (the round fender) is firmly attached at the ends, I will say it is stronger than the square one. You do realize that the strongest structural shape is a circle.

Believe me I understand cashflow and the structural benefits of the arc but we started off with a question about the move from the 60's round fenders to the later fugly fenders and its not even a contest on cost or strength beween the two. The round fenders were one piece bolted to the side of the trailer in two places sometimes with a support rod. The later ones are flat with six bends and bolted in four places to two welded on square stock pieces front and back each supported in most cases two welded support straps added to resist bending towards the wheel or down ward which have also have added brackets welded to them for outbound yellow lights. You couldn't buy the metal for the later setup for the cost of the fender and bolts on the earlier setup. I think they were trying to provide a safer more functional trailer in this case and spent the money to do so. If they were saving money it was in the quality of the welders they employed....
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 8:15pm
OK, OK!! We have now determined that CC made the change to the flat top fenders so you can put a beer on top!!

Sorry Tim as this is certainly not the direction you wanted this thread to go.

We need some people who need fenders so Tim can proceed!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 8:26pm

Sorry Tim as this is certainly not the direction you wanted this thread to go.

We need some people who need fenders so Tim can proceed!

No worries, Pete- now we have a better idea which trailers these fenders will work for! I dont *need* anyone else to order them, but I figured it would save us all a few bucks if there were others in need. These fenders arent available anywhere, and I cant be the only one with a rusty trailer! I thought the price was very reasonable for a custom fender, too.

Anyone interested can just post here or shoot me an email: TRBenj@gmail.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 8:40pm
Tim,

Aren't you glad you didn't just purchase a 3LB "Custom" with the fiberglass skirt. I investigated having a plug and mold made so we could reproduce the skirt. They would't even give me a firm price until he say the actual piece because it is such an odd item but he extimated $5000 for a mold. I thought if I had a mold made I could make them up and sell a few and make my money back, gave up on that one real quick.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 8:43pm

My (what I feel is a #3LB)

Pete, Are those springs and axle original? I've never seen a single leaf or that round axle on a CC trailer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 10:10pm
Alan, The axle is original but I re-sprung the trailer with the mono leaf. It is the trailer I use for my X55 and with the stock 3500lb. springs it rode real hard. I seem to remember these mono leafs have a 2200 lb. rate. Helped out big time. I recommend everyone with a hard ride to take a look at the springs. The trailer manufacturers have a tendency to use the same rating for the springs as the rating of the axle. IE: 3500 for a 3500.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 10:30pm
Wow, hard to believe that a thread about a trailer fender is well on its way to becoming a CCFan classic BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 12:35am
All in a days posting Brian...never know which direction these things are gonna go.

One reason why I miss 79. Now he could spice up these kinda posts.

Pete: What is the funny white stuff on your trailer?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 1:10am
John thats how we store water up here so we have it when we need it.For that reason thats why Georgia dosen't have any.And don't kid yourself,you remember all too well what that is
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 2:06am
Well we store it here too...all these alligators have to have some place to sleep.

You better start sharing some with our buds in the Paech state or they ain't gonna be able to boat.

And...right you are. My memory ain't that bad yet. When I see the weather up north on the tv...its always big news down here... I can't believe I worked out in it all that time. As you know..it isn't really all that bad.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 12:55am
Tim- Did you try Brideau sheet metal in Leominster?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Tim- Did you try Brideau sheet metal in Leominster?

I didnt. The place I found in CT will be at least $20 cheaper per set based on what Keith paid a few years ago.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 11:06am
Does anyone know where you can buy a new "bent center" axle, like the one HW was talking about. I have looked around the internet quite a bit and only found the regular 4" drop axles, which won't work on my trailer.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 9:24pm
Update: Ive got a fender off and will be dropping it at the machine shop this week. Here are the dimensions. Can someone with a 2001 trailer measure theirs to see if it is the same?

As of right now, no one has contacted me about needing a set- so unless I hear something this week, Ill only be making a set for myself.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by azeus17 azeus17 wrote:

Does anyone know where you can buy a new "bent center" axle, like the one HW was talking about. I have looked around the internet quite a bit and only found the regular 4" drop axles, which won't work on my trailer.

To my knowledge, it is not a standard axle. You will need to weld stub axles into the tubing you bend to the needed shape. What are you doing? Do you have a trailer without the bent center?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 1:09am
TRBenj,

My trailer is a 1980 (per title) and my fenders look just like yours, so I went out and measured one.
My measurements are the same with the exception of the bolt to bolt being 31 inches instead of 31 3/8 and the total length was 33 1/2 instead of 33 3/8.
Other than those to minor differences, they appear to be the same.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 11:31am
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

TRBenj,

My trailer is a 1980 (per title) and my fenders look just like yours, so I went out and measured one.
My measurements are the same with the exception of the bolt to bolt being 31 inches instead of 31 3/8 and the total length was 33 1/2 instead of 33 3/8.
Other than those to minor differences, they appear to be the same.

Roger, thanks for measuring. With the amount that the fenders can flex, my bet is that ours are the same. The bolt holes are actually slotted, so theres a little bit of room for adjustment.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 10:51pm

Well I forgot to get the angle but its about 15.5 across the top, 9 for each angle and the mounting flange is about 2.75 on each side.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic