Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where is my oil going?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:52pm
79N, we must have posted at the same time please see the post above your last.

Gabe
Work to live, not live to work.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:53pm
AFR aluminums,(came with the unfinished not fired car) not radical, just fast and turn key, trouble free, i never F-d with TPI and and I am a touch in the dark with it. I dont want to go to much and kill this thing
"the things you own will start to own you"
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

79Tique, Run your engine and get it to operating temp. Then pull your oil filler cap then remove the PVC hose from the valve and plug it. Start the engine and see if you see smoke puffing out of the valve cover. If you do the rings are worn and a valve job will not do you any good. You may be in luck though because a little smoke at startup only usually means worn valves.

This was my first post on this thread and I stand by it! Read back and get the full story before you respond. Flip-flop....don't think so. You're taking things out of context and that's an Obama move (if you want to start a political debate). And what about the rest of my questions?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by 79Tique 79Tique wrote:

Gabe

got it, only thing I would do is pull the valve covers and make sure the oil passages are clear so the oil can drain back down into the pan is has to happen for the oil to leak past the seals and blow smoke on start up.

since the PO ran it hard and did poor maintance the rings are worn and it's sludged up so it's going to burn some oil deal with it and enjoy the boat until you are down on power and it's time to rebuild, doing the heads are only going to do nothing, yea the valve guide seals will be new, but if you remove the oil laying on top of old seals then it's not going to blow smoke like it does at start up and you've only spent 20 bucks on valve cover gaskets.

So my .02 pull the valve covers look for sludge look for clogged oil returns, look for oil dripping as soon as the covers are removed, if you see any of this then clean the passages and flush the motor to clean the internals and call it a day until it really needs a rebuild might be 5-10 yrs might be next season depends on how bad it is and you'll know pretty quick by just looking instead of jumping into the unknown and assuming what it needs.

So all you realy need is to replace the plugs sooner and add oil, but be sure you are checking it properly and not over filling it with oil.

Pull the did stick in the drive/lake after it's sat several days and read the level no need to clean and re-dip oil is all ready drained to the bottom, now go run it and get it hot and turn it off and check the level again first thing if the level is lower than what it was then it's in the top of the motor and not draining back problem one diagnosed, pull covers and clean returns is the fix and oil use should lower but enjoy it and don't get excited because you have to add oil if anything add some tranny fluid to try and loosen the rings as a couple might be stuck but then it just could be ware as well and only a re-build will fix that.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Hey 79, not to interupt our brotherly love but how are you on 1987 chevy TPI, Im going with .210/.165 heads, 65cc chamber, which kicks the compression to 10:1....will the TPI handle it? I am camming mildly and putting a chip in it and an adjustable regulator...anything else? i was close to stroking the motor but held off cause of air volume. can i use the stock injectors and will the chip compensate for it?

Eric I had an '89 TPI 350 with 700R4 tranny that I dropped into an '89 Blazer 4X4. I did a few mild mods to this engine and can give you some pointers if interested. I used it for my daily driver and it ran very strong.

Former boats:
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 2:35pm
Gabe, Chris mentioned the trans fluid to the oil bringing up a great idea. I'd put some Marvel Mystery in the crank case (follow the directions) and maybe even do the Sea Foam treatment (follow the directions) down the carb. You really don't have anything to loose. I've had great results with the Marvel!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Gabe

got it, only thing I would do is pull the valve covers and make sure the oil passages are clear so the oil can drain back down into the pan is has to happen for the oil to leak past the seals and blow smoke on start up.

since the PO ran it hard and did poor maintance the rings are worn and it's sludged up so it's going to burn some oil deal with it and enjoy the boat until you are down on power and it's time to rebuild, doing the heads are only going to do nothing, yea the valve guide seals will be new, but if you remove the oil laying on top of old seals then it's not going to blow smoke like it does at start up and you've only spent 20 bucks on valve cover gaskets.

So my .02 pull the valve covers look for sludge look for clogged oil returns, look for oil dripping as soon as the covers are removed, if you see any of this then clean the passages and flush the motor to clean the internals and call it a day until it really needs a rebuild might be 5-10 yrs might be next season depends on how bad it is and you'll know pretty quick by just looking instead of jumping into the unknown and assuming what it needs.

So all you realy need is to replace the plugs sooner and add oil, but be sure you are checking it properly and not over filling it with oil.

Pull the did stick in the drive/lake after it's sat several days and read the level no need to clean and re-dip oil is all ready drained to the bottom, now go run it and get it hot and turn it off and check the level again first thing if the level is lower than what it was then it's in the top of the motor and not draining back problem one diagnosed, pull covers and clean returns is the fix and oil use should lower but enjoy it and don't get excited because you have to add oil if anything add some tranny fluid to try and loosen the rings as a couple might be stuck but then it just could be ware as well and only a re-build will fix that.

Gabe and Chris,......I'm going to try to say this in a way as to not disagree or step on anyones toes. But this is what I've seen in the past. When the engine gets so sludged up so that it holds oil at the top of the head overnight,....it is also sludged to the point where the oil will not drain back down to the pan for recirculation. When this happens, you start to lose oil pressure. Gabe, are you losing oil pressure?

Former boats:
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 3:06pm
nutty, im buzzing thru the 700 too, got the kevlar bands and red eagles on order,
will end up painting the whole package with base clear for the bling factor. i was going to convert to carb because i can get collector plates and skip e-check, i heard there were problems with the TPI...i dont know
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 4:42pm
Eric, I ran the TPI in stock form except for an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and K&N air filter. I put Edelbrock aluminum heads on and ran dual exhaust (no room for headers). The cam was a Crane unit which was close to your specs. I'd need to research to tell you exactly. I had no problems passing emissions and no problems with pinging on pump gas due to the ESC. I ran 89 octane in it. The aluminum heads probably helped also.

On your 700R4, get the Corvette servo and a 1/2" boost valve. There's also a few holes in the valve body spacer plate that can be drilled and a couple check balls that can be left out for improved shifting. I'll need to dig for my book to tell you which ones. But you being a tranny man probably already have that information. Let me know.

What are you dropping this into? - Brian

Former boats:
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

When the engine gets so sludged up so that it holds oil at the top of the head overnight,....it is also sludged to the point where the oil will not drain back down to the pan for recirculation. When this happens, you start to lose oil pressure. Gabe, are you losing oil pressure?

HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

If it stays up top overnight.... how the hell is it ever going to get into the oil pan to start with? it's not and you will have no oil pressure.

I said let it sit over night and check the oil level in the pan then compare it right after it's been started and ran up to temp then check again and compare? If it reads lower then the oil is stuck in the topside of the heads which leads to it seeping past the valve guide seals and causing blue smoke at start-up.

damn Malibu clown.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 5:04pm

If it stays up top overnight.... how the hell is it ever going to get into the oil pan to start with? it's not and you will have no oil pressure.

Exactly! So that can't be his problem now can it? So who's the real clown?

Former boats:
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 6:29pm
Oil pressure is good by the stock gauge on the dash. Drops a little at idle after skiing for a while, but not more than what would seem normal.

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 6:34pm
I'm heading out to the lake in a couple hours. I'll check the oil before I start the boat as I always do because it will tend to use oil. I'll check it again after it's been running for a while.

On my cars the oil is always lower on the dip stick after running. Then comes back up after a while. Is this not normal? Every car I have ever owned has done this even new ones.

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 6:40pm

On my cars the oil is always lower on the dip stick after running. Then comes back up after a while. Is this not normal? Every car I have ever owned has done this even new ones.

The 'missing' oil is in the top and drains down. You are detailed?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 7:34pm

throw in worn valve guide seals and plugged oil retuns in the head because if the drains are clear oil doesn't pool in the heads and leak down the guides causing blue smoke at start up HHHHHHMMMMMMM

This is the quote is was responding to when I was talking about losing oil pressure. If you say his oil passages are plugged,....well it's going to hold oil in the top of the engine when running all day too. Eventually all the oil will be in the top of the engine and leaking out the valve cover gaskets as well. So if you want to label me as a ***************, you must be labeling yourself as a bigger one. Seriously,....go take your meds and get back to us when everything is all better.

Former boats:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic