FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back from Shoulder Surgery

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back from Shoulder Surgery
    Posted: May-27-2009 at 3:07am
Memorial Day weekend marked 6-months and 3 days since I had surgery on my shoulder for a torn labrum (SLAP tear). The air temp was 59 and water temp was 61 but all went well. Still have a lot of strengthening to go before I'm 100% but feels good to be back on the water.

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2009 at 10:56am
What a great shot! Glad you are feeling better. I look forward to seeing that wall of spray at Green Lake!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2009 at 1:12pm
Excellent. How long until you can barefoot? BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2009 at 1:50pm
Looking good Keith. If you're ever looking for someone local to foot with, I know someone that's dying to get out there.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2009 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

How long until you can barefoot? BKH

I'll probably foot the next time out - most likely with Brad (Barracuda). Maybe as soon as next week. I won't be with out trepidation however since a footing fall was what caused the injury back in August.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2009 at 12:15am
Keith

It might be worth checking out the Shoulder Strap that Footin' Gear can make up for you. I ordered one a couple of months back and have started the season off with it to avoid re-injury of my shoulder. I'm quite happy with the support it gives me.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 1:56pm
Well, finally got a chance to barefoot this morning and things went well. Made it over to Brad's (Barracuda) this morning for 6:30 am. Temp was 45 degrees on the way over! At least the sun was out.

Took it very easy and started with some boom runs and then some tumble up starts on the shortline. Shoulder held. It's a bit sore now but I think that's just muscle fatigue. Very happy to have the first barefoot since my surgery (and accident) out of the way. Felt great and I was reminded why I like footing so much!

Managed to get in a few slalom runs after. Not a bad way to start a Wednesday.

-Keith

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 2:33pm
Congrats Keith, I'm sure it must be a Great Feeling! Wishing you many more,
Steve
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Busted Knuckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busted Knuckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 6:39pm
thanks for the plug!

I'd be happy to work with you on a custom made shoulder strap, keep in mind almost every barefoot fall is forward and almost every fall positions your arms forward ( or backward if skiing backward) meaning like it or not your arms are being extended towards the boat during a fall to me that means OUCH

good luck

Dan T

www.footngear.com
Volante Barefoot Skier built by American Skier Boats -
www.footngear.com
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 3:35pm
I have the same problem....

Going back to wearing the jump sling again myself....after D/L last monday again.

Tim

Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 3:44pm
Tim,
You re-injured it again on Monday? Man, that stinks. I did my first long-line barefoot run since my injury at Green Lake behind the Orange Crush. I'm not going to lie to you, I was nervous. Have yet to have my first hard fall since surgery. I hope the shoulder holds.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

Tim,
You re-injured it again on Monday? Man, that stinks. I did my first long-line barefoot run since my injury at Green Lake behind the Orange Crush. I'm not going to lie to you, I was nervous. Have yet to have my first hard fall since surgery. I hope the shoulder holds.

-Keith

Kieth-

I have had problems with it since I was about 18 or so (I'm 31 now). Fell over doing a one foot way outside of the left wake holding on with my right arm...fell on the left arm and popped it out. Got it fixed a year or two later. It was good for about 4 years until somebody fell on me in a pyramid.... Last couple of years it has popped out twice...and then again last week.

I'm going to get it tuned up again this fall. It sure is tough keeping the muscle on that shoulder once it has been atrophied (sp?). Having the muscle do the work vs. the ligaments...etc. is what will save it in the long run.

I have had plenty of serious hard falls with it....but my body is trained to hold my left arm in (you know the position where it is super stable) when I fall.

Anyway.... I'm back to skiing tonight with the jump brace on my left arm....

Tim

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2009 at 1:55pm
Went to the doc yesterday. Labrum torn.

Another MRI tuesday and then one more doc visit and he wants to just get it fixed and then some aggressive muscle building/therapy over the winter.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2009 at 1:45am
sorry to hear that- but the sooner you get it fixed the sooner it'll be better again. good luck on surgery/recovery.
This is the life
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 2:53pm
Second MRI. Doc doesn't want to do surgery since he already repaired it once. He said it would be very likely that I tear it again. He mentioned not skiing anymore. I left with a churning stomach.

Skiing is my release in life. Don't want to give it up.

Tim

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 2:59pm
Heard that! Some people do drugs to release. I foot!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic