NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Footing and Pain

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 1:29pm
Easter or else weekend here, I´m leaving out of town, to the country, so no boating this WE....   
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
SkiNautique 200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNautique 200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2010 at 4:28pm
Barefooting like any watersports can have nasty crashes. Its true that you don't have a board to "launch" you, but you can fall very awkwardly with arms out, injuring shoulders and knees, but the biggest issue would be concussions. I have taken thousands of falls, several with concussions, but that didn't stop me from continuing my set. Anyone who says they got dinged, or see stars and stuff like that is on the verge of conscussion. Scorpion falls hurt as well, thats where your legs touch your back or very close. That one will send you to chiropractor. I would say for me however, is when I was learning to backwards barefoot. That was like getting into 35 car accidents everyday for a month. Needless to say my neck lost its natural curvature. I know there are more talented skiers out there than me, but stuff happens. It doesn't stop me or slow me down yet, I assume there will be some reprocussions in the future, but it is what it is. I rarely fall now, a few times a summer, but I don't push the envelope anymore, maninly working on a few new tricks, but mostly just in maintenance mode. You can successfully learn how to barefoot, with very few falls at the professional schools in Florida. Its when you go out with some buddies (who know how to foot) so that makes them an expert that you really get yourself into trouble. Learn properly and you won't have too much trouble. Again, you can avoid obvious crash situations like, letting go before a set of rollers instead of trying to foot through etc, that will make it much more enjoyable as well. Also not doing endurance will help as well, losing the fatty tissue in your heels, is not my idea of fun, I have seen it happen, pretty gross.

I would take a lesson from an acredited coach, then once you get proficient, you can perform many tricks and rarely fall. Even so when you do fall those crashes will usually be anticipated and not be very violent. However, you can still take the crash, that comes out of no where. Do 1 foot wakes, or backwards hit a set of rollers that you couldn't see. Show skiing and endurance footing is a recipe for disaster with rough water being the norm. However, in controlled settings, on a boom and shortline, you can do a lot of footing without incident.

I hope you take up the sport of barefooting, when done properly its a ton of fun, and great for the whole family. However, if you learn from joe blow, it can be rough.
Take Care and Happy Footing
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 2:51pm
Barefooting = pain

Simple formula. I do not embrace the pain, but there are a few ways to avoid a headpacker. Plan for it: be smart, ski in best conditions, stretch, ski within your means, and most of all, wear a neckbrace!

For kicks, I put together a wipeout video of me and my guys. This is about 8 months of skiing represented here:

Barefoot Wipeouts!

Enjoy!
Got Foot?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 3:21pm
Excellent compilation Roy. Lots of fun!! For some masochistic reason, it makes me very anxious to get out and hit the water...so to speak. Finally due to happen in the next few weeks...I would hope.

It's funny, a lot of those falls you can see why they happened. Others, there is absolutely no apparent reason...other than the barefoot gods coming up and biting you in the arse, just for the fun of it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 3:58pm
Good video roy, lots of legendary falls in there.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 4:01pm
That makes me want to foot BAD!!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 4:21pm
those falls that have no explanation I thing are a hand that come up from the murky depths and grabs your foot! Good observation 75, that's why I video so much is to see what is really going on. A lot of times it is a slight out of position body combines with catching a toe. Often i look down (go down!) and the shoulders and hips move slightly forward, catch a toe, then BAM!

Wearing a neckbrace has taken SOOOO much pain (and risk) out ov my falls. God also blessed me with an instinct to let go of the handle quickly when I start to fall. Hanging on too long, or trying to pull it out really increases the pain of falling.
Got Foot?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 5:17pm
5 points to Andy for hangin' on to that jump-off-the-back-of-the-boat start....that was a pretty good hop.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 5:25pm
If I recall he bit his lip on that one. Even Andy was surprised how much he bounced. I start thinking about trying one of those and think the better of it.
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

Barefooting = pain

Simple formula. I do not embrace the pain, but there are a few ways to avoid a headpacker. Plan for it: be smart, ski in best conditions, stretch, ski within your means, and most of all, wear a neckbrace!

For kicks, I put together a wipeout video of me and my guys. This is about 8 months of skiing represented here:

Barefoot Wipeouts!

Enjoy!

OUCH!!! that gotta hurt!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 1:58pm
Well, here is a good one for footing and pain. Hit a small roller while tumbling:

Tumble Turn Wipeout
Got Foot?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2010 at 12:27am
Think I'll be sore tonight too. Footed today with bad form and posture, paid the price.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 12:43pm
OK. You guys get to see all the good runs in a session via SacFooter videos. Here are a few runs from Sunday that did not make the cut. I was off a bit that day, but still had fun. If I did not wear a neck brace I would have gotten hammered.

Hard Day of Footin'
Got Foot?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 1:49pm
"Some days are diamonds, some days are stones"
                            -John Denver

SkiNautique 200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNautique 200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 3:11pm
Hi Sacfooter,

Those falls are brutal, but if you backfoot, its going to happen eventually. The main reason for those falls is that you aren't transfering your weight before you lift. Even your best transfer is about 50%. You need to be at 90% transer + before you lift. It seems counterintuitive, because when you have all of your weight transfered your foot is deep in the lake. However, the reason you are catching is your lack of transfer before you lift. I love the boom cam! Always makes for a cool shot, keep working it!
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 7:53pm
Thanks for those observations. I know what you mean about the weight transfer. It is hairy sticking most of my weight on that foot, especially my reverse. I also learned over the weekend if I bend my knees a bit more, get more arch in the back, that my foot glides better and it is easier to pick up the one-foot. I took a few headpackers over the weekend. Always glad I wear the neckbrace.
Got Foot?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic