NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

foam

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2010 at 10:53am
"I've cut it 3 times and it still isn't long enough!"
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2010 at 9:00pm
Hi those are some very inspiring words. I feel pretty comfortable with the wood. It is the layup and which material to use, The vinyl ester seems pretty straight forward and has a high heat tolerance where the epoxies do not. I am not sure which material to use yet, Pretty sure on the CPES, and the fasco epoxy, That leads to another question will the vinyl ester resin bond with the CPES or the fasco? The difference in price is about 5 dollars a gallon, The epoxy comes with 7.5 where the polyester comes with five gallons. It says if I go with the slow hardener (2 to 1). I will not have to worry about blushing any comments?
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2010 at 9:12pm
Why I am here I am going to pull the prop. Do I need to get the key out first and if so how do I go about it?
Lakedog55
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2010 at 9:31pm
Mike,
My suggestion is to stick with the epoxy. It's been proven (as in the links provided) to be the best resin for repair. Heat is not a factor here but the epoxy's strength is better. Yes, the vinyl wiil stick to epoxy. I consider it more of a conversion coating if you're not doing a complete hull with it.
Where are you shopping for resin?

Getting the prop off has nothing to do with the key. It will come off with the prop when you use a puller. A prop puller is a must. It's (should be) seated and locked onto the shaft with the tapered bore/shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2010 at 9:16pm
Mr. P
Thanks for the info, I think I will stick with the epoxy, That is good advice on the prop, I was going to attemt to get the key out, Was not really sure which way to punch it out it looked as if it should go towards the strut. I did manage to get the drive shaft and trannny apart, I could have made a couple of runs without any bolts, That baby was together. Post a picture of florida winterization, tarp + lightbulb
Lakedog55
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2010 at 9:36pm
Glad you went ahead and got the DF. Epoxy is the no brainer decision for your resin too. When you weigh all the different qualities it is the best. I thought it was easy to use too.

I was talking to my buddy in Tallahassee this morning and he said it was cold there. We hit 15 this morning in NC!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2010 at 9:43pm
Yeah we are in Ocala a litle south of tally and it is going to be around 24 for a low with high around 55, I was talking to a guy in Western NC and he said they got about 8 inches of snow and was about 9 It seems like the weather cycle is getting more and more dramtic.
Thanks Mike
Lakedog55
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2010 at 10:54pm
Yeah I was up there backpacking between Newfound Gap and Smokemont Thursday through Sunday. Woke up Sunday with all that snow on top of the tent and hiked 8 miles out in a winter wonderland. The road was closed so my Dad's truck is still parked at the trail head. oops! La nina is a beatch!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 12:54am
Originally posted by lakedog55 lakedog55 wrote:

Okay guys The material is ordered no turning back now
order consisted of
2@2x8x14
1@2x8x8 offset for motor cradle
1@2x6x10 instead of installing a gap in the rear of the secondary
6@1x6x12 for secondary and other
1 2x4x8 for something ( will use this for banging my head on repeatedly)
If anyone is in Florida I found a a local company out of Leesburg, wood is supposed to be vertical clear Douglass fir purchase was made for $340.00 Will post pictures when wood arrives.
Thanks Mike

Mike,
Can you post the name of the lumber yard you are getting the fir from. Leesburg is not that far from me.
Thanks,
Jack
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 12:28pm
Jack,
The company name is Romac, My salesman name is Roger Sansdorf out of Ocala, But they could order the material in at leesburg, almost everything comes in there anyway. They have been one of my primary suppliers for around 15 years, so it is possible my pricing may be a little different. Before you order lets take a good look at what the material they ship me looks like, over the years I have been let down a couple of times and usually it is on stuff I am buying for myself,Why is that? Rogers number is 352-622-7099.

Special K,
That is along walk, Did your Dad get his truck back? My family has a cabin in Balsam. We spent 2 weeks there this summer, very nice It was the first time in 20 years I did not go up there to work on the house. I did feel a little guilty it needs paint. What lake do you guys boat on? This summer we went over to lake Fontana and another lake Near Robinsiville but the name escapes me now. The kids had a blast.
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 12:45pm
Jack,
Romac has not made the min for order to come in yet, but the ir supplier is out of Tampa and they have the wood looks like I may be going to Tampa. They said it was no problem to do the pickup there. For me thats great more wood to choose from, If their yard will let me. One thing I forgot was a 1x8 for the floor to sit on next to the motor cradle a 1x6 may make it but I am not sure.
Mike
Lakedog55

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 3:29pm
Thanks Mike, Tampa is even closer for me. Do you know the name of the supplier?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 5:21pm

Jack,
Special K,
That is along walk, Did your Dad get his truck back? My family has a cabin in Balsam. We spent 2 weeks there this summer, very nice It was the first time in 20 years I did not go up there to work on the house. I did feel a little guilty it needs paint. What lake do you guys boat on? This summer we went over to lake Fontana and another lake Near Robinsiville but the name escapes me now. The kids had a blast.

Pops is hoping to o back up there this weekend and grab the truck.

Fontana is a special place. When my buddy used to own my boat we camped for a week there. Not exactly roughing it since we could go to the marina for cold beer. The water was so clear we spent a lot of time snorkeling watching the trout at the mouths of the streams. There were also huge schools of fry that made you feel like you were on a reef. My main hole is Belews creek but there are about 5 lakes I can be on in an hour.

1973 Skier
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 6:22pm
Yes the water was very clear, not sure what kind of fish a fry is though?
Jack,
I do not know the suppliers name in Tampa but should by tomorrow
Thanks Mike
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 6:25pm
Jack,
even better than tomorrow is today, Logan Lumber Company.
Lakedog55

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 7:19pm
Thanks, Mike
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2010 at 8:48pm

Yes the water was very clear, not sure what kind of fish a fry is though?
Jack,

Fry are baby fish

1973 Skier
yuanyelss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yuanyelss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2011 at 7:06am
There will be a definite line that shows the floor height all the way around the hull so here again you have a good visual indicator.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 9:58pm
Hi guys,
Everything is finally out except for the pylon, It will not budge Any suggestions? Going to start grinding this weekend. And hopfully get some stands made and the boat level.
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 11:39pm
Hi, What a Pita? I really do not like the sanding and grinding, not to mention it takes about a milion of those flappers to get anywhere? But I really think working on the boat is more of the hobby than actually boating. I really have had some funn cant wait to actually put some water under it. but anyway here is the stringers glued in! once again not a great picture. I was going to run one layer of roving and one of mat for the secondarys, and roving,mat,roving, biax for the mains any problems 635 resin
Lakedog55
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 11:28am
I have never used roving, but my understanding is that it is very thick- so that would make it absorb a lot of resin and be pretty tough to work with (going around corners, etc). I believe US Composites describes it as a "good way to build thickness quickly if cost is a factor", or something to that effect.

I think you would be much better off with a few more layers of cloth rather than using roving. It will be easier to work with and should end up stronger. The cloth tapes are great- only having to cut them to length (rather than ripping them into strips) speeds things up ALOT. I used 6 layers of cloth followed by biax on the BFN, and plan to use the same schedule on my upcoming projects, as it seemed to work well.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2011 at 3:50pm
I never considered that the original stringers where the engine cradle sits would be not be that great, But When I cleaned the cradle, hidden in the caulk were some washers. So I placed the cradle in the boat and whata ya know it does not touch the stringers in that area. But I guess that is what the make mat for. So if you are doing a stringer job and measuring to the top of stringers you might want to consider how well the top fit first.
Mike
Lakedog55
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2011 at 4:11pm

Hi, What a Pita? I really do not like the sanding and grinding

Really?

It is a labor of love, dude.    Looks good so far. I would, however, go back and fillet the joints a bit wider. Make up some peanut butter and get a spoonula at your local Target or Walmart. It will save you some headaches laying the tape.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 12:15am
^^^Mike's right about those headaches!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 1:19pm
almost done with the stringer repair
Lakedog55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic