NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New 300 HP Crusader/w Velvet Drive

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 300 HP Crusader/w Velvet Drive
    Posted: January-20-2011 at 12:12am
Just throwing this out there. Been thinking about the future of this motor. Not sure if I want to get rid of this yet, but also dont know if I will ever find a hull to put it in.

It is brand new, (not rebuilt) still in the crate, 300 Horse Crusader engine with Velvet Drive trans. Everything is there down to new 4bbl carb/alternator/ water pumps/sparkplugs and wires/dizzy/ starter/wiring harness/etc.

All it needs is a good hull to load her into!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 12:22am
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 12:54am
Marty,
That ski tique doesnt look like its hardly worth putting a new Briggs & Stratton in!

I keep thinking I will someday find a super nice 73 -76 SN hull, or the like, for this motor.   After getting my 62 Classic a few months ago, Im not even sure I want/and certainly dont need/ another project.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 1:08am
Steve, There is a '74 in Orlando looks purdy clean for 1,200.

Do you mean NOS?   What year is it?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 1:49am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Steve, There is a '74 in Orlando looks purdy clean for 1,200.

Do you mean NOS?   What year is it?

Al, I thought you guys had the market cornered on nice 73/74 SN's... you mean there are more?

When you ask NOS? Year? If you mean this motor . it is a Chevy/350 Vortec based engine marinized by Crusader. I think it is circa 02 or so.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 2:24am
I think you NEED to keep it. It can be used,and I'm sure it has, as an excuse to buy another boat
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 2:28am
Gary,
Sounds like you need to spend a few weeks of your vacation visiting beautiful NW IL!   Maybe we can get a couple of my existing rides done!??
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 9:45am
what kinda $$$$$$$$
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 10:30am
Beautiful, high quality engine, but a modern boat engine. I say sell it and put the money into your projects. How did you end up with it?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 1:09pm
Eric and Bruce,
   I bought the engine on ebay 5 or 6 years ago. The guy I bought it from said he gave over 10G's for the setup. He had bought a 60's Gage-Hacker and was going to use this for power. When he started tearing into the boat found it had dry rot and abandoned the project.

I dont have to sell it, but like I say a lot of things have changed in my life the past few years and after buying the 62 Classic last fall, I just dont know if that SN even fits into anything I need/want anymore?

If I start advertising it, I would probably ask in the $6500 range for it. Might consider partial trades*? Who knows?

*( by trades.... bring me the "right" Barracuda SS in Yucatan Yellow ...we might trade even up ... etc )
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 1:23pm
A blue colored Chebby ??? Steve, isn't there a discount for that??? hahah.. Nice Motor. Problem is it's worth more that 2/3rd of the boats for sale on the site...Stuff it into one of the Cuda's !!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 3:38pm
Moj,
I understand the motor itself is worth more than a lot of the boats. But, it still is what it is.. Dont think I havent thought about stuffing it in a cuda! Even ditching the fresh 312 in favor of this in the Classic has crossed my mind.(please DONT tell Pete.. ) I think the Classic would handle the ponies just fine.

I can tell you if it ever went into one of my 60's rides it WONT be blue and it will have a vintage "dress" on her!

Anyone want to buy a freshly rebuilt 312?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 3:49pm
That 350 is neither heavy nor powerful enough to cause any of your 60's hulls any grief... Marshall's 340 Mustang and Reid's 390 Classic both put out more ponies without any issues.

I think its a cool motor, but probably more appropriate in a 70's vintage boat. Crusaders came painted those colors back then- at least the Fords did!

It would be fun to drop that in something small, but like Mojo said, it would be hard to justify the $$! I say sell it and fund some of your other projects instead... unless you can score that '70 Mustang for cheap.

You dont mention it Steve, but I assume its a RH engine?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 4:12pm
Tim,
It is a "bacerds-runnin'" motor! Like I said, when I bought it I was thinking of the early 70's SN hull. If I happen to score "that" 70's Mustang...I dont think that boat desrves this power?

BUT:
Life for some reason has kept me "lost in the 60's" when it comes to boats. To date the value of the motor vs the finished boats value, is why she is still setting where she is.

If, by chance it went into one of these boats, I have some vintage aluminum exhaust, aluminum finned valve covers, etc that she would be wearing.... ie.... It would look 60's.... decisions..decisions..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 2:10am
Been busy cleaning the garage..trying to get some space back.

Besides the Crusader pictured above I have :

1)a fresh, "needing to be assembled", 283. RH rotation.

2) 318 RH take-out with velvet drive.

3) 1968 Barracuda (aka by some.. "Wildman" )...360 power.. hasnt been run in a couple years.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 10:53pm
How would the hight and width compare to a 302 PCM? I'd love to put it in my Shamrock.

Sam
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 11:14pm
How big a shamrock? The starter location can be an issue in some boats but a standard nip and tuck might get it in.

Steve you are going to need to post some pictures of the wild man people should know the wild man.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 12:26am
My Shamrock is a 87 20ft. WalkThru. Everything is hard to get to on a Shamrock, just ask Eric, but they sure are great boats.

Sam
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 1:51am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Steve you are going to need to post some pictures of the wild man people should know the wild man.

First two pics are from Green Lake 2008...

Pic of Wildman before I bought it.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 1:55am
pic of 360

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 9:44am
it may be beneficial to seperate and sell as different units, i just ran accross this with a Volvo trans, one was hanging on the back of a BBC and the guy was determined that the BBC had the value and didnt care less about the trans....the trans btw are 5300.00 swapped out, he would not seperate, well it was used but rebuildable. but point being, If he knew the value of the trans he surely couldve tripled his money. I didnt tell him i needed just the trans, I got the thing package for 950.00.
i wouldve gave up to 1500.00 for the trans if seperated and he couldve re-sold the BBC.
but i think you could make the package more attractive if you pull the trans and sell it, and lower the price of the engine a touch. if you wait it out though you will get all the money, but rarely does someone need a 1:1 set up
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 12:28pm
Eric,
what do you think the velvet drive would be worth? I'm not against splitting it up.

I really have not try to sell it too hard...part of me doesn't want to, but the reality is- given my current "project backlog" I really dont need it around and gaining the floor space would be nice.

....just kinda playing it by ear.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 1:15pm
Steve,

Here is a motorless boat just calling out for that motor. I looked at it last fall after is came up for sale locally. I saw the VRBS display a couple years ago. It never made it to the VRBS as the then owner in stead sold it to the current owner. For some reason, no one seems to be able to finish it out and get it on the water. Could probably be had for less than $2000. I only bring this up because I think I recall having a conversation with you on here a couple years ago about our mutual interest in Crckerboxes (tho may not have been you) I really dont consider the Glen-L a real crackerbox, but its close and would be a fun ride.

(Note: Its on a better trailer now)

Recent ad
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 2:38pm
Yesssss It was me ...would love to get one of those!

I WOULD SELL MY CLASSIC TO GET THAT! Can you see my 283 with this capping it off?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 2:47pm
Just went to the 2nd page of the listing ... he sold it in October...

(probably a good thing?)
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 3:16pm
Sorry about that...never bothered to go to the second page. Didnt mean to get your hopes up. I would have done it last fall if I was in a position to, but I wasnt. Rare out east. Come up fairly regularly out west.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 9:03pm
in season the trans could fetch 1200.00 to 1500.00 if you catch the right guy, a non internetter....damn internet turns everyone into whores lol, sad but true
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic