NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone Snowboard?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Snowboard?
    Posted: April-14-2011 at 12:22pm
oh don't worry, it was no secret that I didn't know what I was doing...I didn't make it off the lift a single time without falling.

the hot tub pretty much saved the weekend, without it I don't think the snow angels would have been possible.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 10:15am
teflon or not...nothing says I don't know what the f i'm doing like snowboarding in jeans

looks like you spent plenty of time in the hot tub though...which really is the most important part...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 8:19pm
Those jeans are great, they're made by Jeep and have teflon fibers woven into the denim so they're almost 100% waterproof. I spent 75% of my time on the ground and my knees were the only part of me that got even a little wet.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 7:04pm
i like your snowboarding jeans...
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 10:38am
Looks like a good time. And good beer. Yuengling......Mmmmm tasty. You cant buy that up around where i live.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 3:47am
Oh yeah, and I won $50 in the squares game. There were 2 fake injuries and I had one of them.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 3:31am
I promised a recap, just took me a while to get the pics from my girl.

Here's what I learned: I am not good at snowboarding. Yet. I fell 36 times going down the hill the first time (yes, I counted), and nearly got kicked off the mountain by the ski patrol. We did start on Mardi Gras though, which turns out is by far the longest run in the park. By the time we were finished I was much better than when I started, but then again, my flask was also much emptier too. One of my falls was so violent that I broke the high-back off one of the bindings on my buddy's snowboard.

I spent most of my time on my toe-side edge, and found that I had a real problem with trying to transition to the heel-side. It will probably take me a few more trips to get good at switching back and forth between them. It rained all day Saturday, so we actually only made it out on Friday night, which was a little disappointing, but the crew I was with didn't let that get us down.

On to the pics.

Here's the crew right after we arrived at the house on Friday. I'm holding tha drunk stick, the trophy awarded to the individual who succeeds in getting the most drunkest the day before. This trip was its inauguration. It has since been to St Patty's Day, Indians Opening Day, and a B-Day bash in a hotel. I'm not even 100% sure how we took this picture, because everyone's in it.

This is the before shot, just getting laced up to hit the hill. You may notice that both bindings still have the high-back.

Here we are about halfway through the night, the gift shop gave me that ridiculous poncho/trash bag thing with Holiday Valley on the front of it to wear. I thought it would be hilarious to tell my friends I was so good at snowboarding that HV sponsored me and gave me the first thing they could find with their name on it. They didn't believe me. It was also real slippery and made my falls last longer. So bonus.

Our hero at the end of the night. Notice the missing high-back.

Well, not quite the end of the night, we still had business to handle in the hot tub.

Which of course led to snow angels.

And then Saturday it rained and we were sad. But we made up a drinking game to go along with the original Highlander movie. I'll give you a hint, something happened anytime someone said "There can be only one"

I think I'll stick to riding things I have to wear a life jacket for.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 6:48pm
my advice is: get an instructor, let him give you the basic tricks etc, etc, believe me it will be money well spent, you don´t wanna end with a broken wrists after you caught and edge going front side!!!
1 hour is enough for the basics... then its practice...
I started skiing at the age of 7 in 1981 and went all the years to ski till in 92 i decided to give it try on the snowboard...got totally hooked with the sport and never again rode a pair of skis...
First time I tried I hired an instructor to help with the basic, and after 2 lessons i was doing the mountain alone..anyway I had a huge skiing experience..Of course I´ve had lots of bad falls..bruises in knees, butt, wrists..but fortunately no injuries. From time to time I would continue to take a lesson in order to improve some of the movements.
But lately I have put the sport on hold..wife, then kids make it kinda diffucult, mountain is not in the backyard as some of you guys do over there..I have to do a 600ml to get to the nearest ski resort here!!
I started wakeboarding in 1994...also after having been on a slalom ski since I was 9 or 10 yo...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 2:38pm
That's good news, thanks for the input guys. We take off for NY next Friday, I'll be sure to post pics and videos if we take any when I get back home.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 2:28pm
the only problem you might have is when you are "skating" around with only your front foot strapped it...just kick with your back foot BEHIND your board and be mindful of your front ankle and you should be ok...
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 2:02pm
Your ankles should be good. Snowboard boots allow no movement in the ankle area so I think you'll be fine.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

-1 man point for tossing in the pool. Motivation for everyone else to land it!   
Ouch...I did eventually put it down, but it was after several equally frigid, but less spectacular crashes. Does that redeem me at all?

Another snowboarding question: how much strain does a snowboard put on your ankles, particularly on the lead foot? I ride left foot forward and I sprained that ankle about 6 weeks ago playing basketball, and then again last weekend playing football (if you haven't picked up on it already, I don't always make good decisions). Is this going to be a problem for me? Or do the boots provide some measure of support? Will I be able to fit a brace or wrap under them?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 11:51am
i'm not saying don't drink at all...just try not to get really drunk while you're still strapped in...bad things happen that way...
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 11:37pm
-1 man point for tossing in the pool. Motivation for everyone else to land it!   
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

weight on your front foot, steer with your back foot (kind of like a rudder), easy on the sauce until your done for the day...
I like the rudder analogy, Ima use that...but when you say lay off the sauce, that's only until noon, right?

And I promised I'd give the youtube thing a shot, here goes. Try not to scrutinize my form too much, the end's really the fun part...you can tell by my sister's reaction. Unfortunately she cuts the camera off before I start to toss, cause that was not the fun part. At least I covered some distance before my re-entry.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 10:11pm
snowboarding kicks azz...

a few things...weight on your front foot, steer with your back foot (kind of like a rudder), easy on the sauce until your done for the day...inexperience + liquid courage = broken bones...cold beers in an outdoor hot tub afterwords is awesome, consider taking a private lesson for a couple hours your first day, be prepared to be a bit frustrated and sore, watch out for your wrists..what else...pick a wide hill with a moderate slope (maybe a harder green or more gentle blue) you need a little speed to make it work...if all else fails you still have hot tub + hotties which always = good times...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 3:12am
Thanks for the encouragement Brian, you're the first person who didn't at least allude to me wiping out. I have to admit that there's a part of me that hopes you're wrong about it being easy to get mediocre on the first day...the combination of mediocrity, whiskey, and pretty girls tends to make me say things like 'hey, watch this!'

If I ever get smart enough to work that youtube thing I'll post what happened to me at a cable park in Orlando in December. 50 degree water, no wetsuit (that's +1 man-card point for those of you playing along at home), and me saying, 'hey, they got ramps out there, I bet I can do that' led to the first fall I've ever taken that made me puke. I've watched the video a hundred times, its funny every time (especially my sister laughing holding the camera), and I still can't figure out how it happened.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 1:29am
Neat video. I've skied Brighton in Utah. It was great. Solitude in the same canyon is also great. Alta is still my favorite in Utah, but of course, they are one of the few that still do not permit Snowboards.

I tried Snowboarding a long time ago. Spent several days just to be sure my initial impression was correct - it wasn't for me. I will stick with my skis.

I disagree with some of the others here, however. I don't think it was difficult to learn to ride a snowboard. Rather, I thought it was very easy to get mediocre. It would, however, be very difficult to get good.   I find wakeboarding the same. It's really easy to get up and do something on your first trip out. It's hard to get really good.

Sounds like you are going with others have little or no experience. I would not sweat it. You will do fine.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 1:19am
This is a pretty funny topic! I'm on the other side - been snowboarding since 1992 (started on a split tail board!), have only been wakeboarding since Aug '08.

My advice for your first time out - keep the speed down. The pic below is a girl I know after catching her heelside edge and sticking her arm out behind:

The first few times out are going to hurt. That hot tub is going to feel damn good, even without the ladies. There is lots of good advice on this thread - don't try to go edge to edge (link turns) - right away, stay on your heelside edge first (facing downhill), then try toeside edge(facing uphill) for a while, sliding back and forth. Never let the downhill edge touch the snow. You want to think about balancing on your heels or toes, never flat footed. Most of your weight will be on your front leg (exact opposite of wakeboarding). It is definitely a similar feel though. Very addicting.

That is a sweet phone video, makes me wish I was taking a trip out west this year.
Couldn't resist throwing in this video link from last winter, I shot this at Monarch Pass in Colorado of my brother, we were hiking off-resort:

Playing in Colorado powder
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 12:37am
Nice Tim! Great quality for a phone. Heard those shoot in 720. Makes me wanna go ride!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 12:30am
Since you guys are talking about androids and snowboards in the same thread I'll add this to the discussion. Here's a video I shot with my motorola droid in SLC last month. Not too bad for a first time video running down the hill.

Foot's Snowboard Run Brighton Ski Resort.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

If you keep most of your weight on your back foot like on a wakeboard, you're going to be in deep sh*t if you need to turn.
That settles it, I just won't turn. Seems like a minor detail anyway.

I might have to start out riding goofy just because I know my right foot will be the heavy one. I've been told I ride a wakeboard like a slalom with too much weight on my back foot anyway.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 7:43pm
   I was snowboarding before it was cool. Back when I started there were only 3 mountains in New England that even allowed snowboarders(and it wasn't that long ago). I had to drive an hour and a half to even by a snowboard back then, and they only had 2 models in stock. I wish I had stuck it out. My senior year in HS I took up skiing because all my friends would go skiing at mountains that did not allow snowboarding. I gave up skiing a few years later because I didn't really enjoy it that much but until recently did not get back on the board. Now, I occassionally hit he slopes with the kids and had to learn all over again, which at my age can be painful.
As Morfoot said, weight on front foot. If you keep most of your weight on your back foot like on a wakeboard, you're going to be in deep sh*t if you need to turn.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 7:17pm
hahaha on the android phones go to the market and it's call "SPEEDVIEW" uses your GPS in your phone. It is also called that for the iphone as well I believe. The display is just like a speedo in a car. gives you top speed for a trip, live line graph of your speed throughout the trip etc...pretty awesome. Could be very handy with crappy speedos in the boat too.

EDIT: yes it's instant. It is a GPS digital (and an analog view) speedometer.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

I'm guessing if your not going to wear the bucket, there is no way you'll be sportin' wrist guards.
Well, a wrist injury is one of the squares, so I wouldn't want to consciously put someone at a disadvantage by "protecting myself". That wouldn't be very fair.
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

This year we grabbed the android phones most of my buddies have and got the speedview app...GPS speedometer in it, pretty sweet.

One girl on skis topped out at 45mph...pretty dang sweet!
Hold on, there's something I can put on a phone to tell me how fast I'm going? Does it save your top speed or something? Or is it instant? Is it free? We may have just entered a whole new realm of ski trip gambling...
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:52pm
Speaking of the stranglehold on the walkman...

This year we grabbed the android phones most of my buddies have and got the speedview app...GPS speedometer in it, pretty sweet.

One girl on skis topped out at 45mph...pretty dang sweet!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:51pm
Why, when I type Goldsl*ger, does it replace the "a" with an "*"? You would think it would rep[lace it with a " "
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:46pm
Adam
I'm guessing if your not going to wear the bucket, there is no way you'll be sportin' wrist guards. Both of my sons have each broken two wrists while boarding.
When I blew out my knee, I was cranking some Stranglehold on the Walkman, and had a Bota filled with Goldsl*ger (sp). Now it's Mr Cab Driver (Lenny Kravitz), and a flask full of Crown or Johnnie Walker Black.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

First off, I have to say that second picture is freakin cool, I hope you bought the photographer a beer for that one. Did you land it?

And sure, its possible to look cool, but I don't have the top gun goggles and Johnny Cash snowsuit with matching helmet and my name on the back...something tells me I won't look as good in a bright yellow helmet with RENTAL spray-painted across the front in pink letters...hello ladies!

hahaha well said...well said indeed. I did land that I think. It was just my dad using the little cannon diggy cam we had at the time. Worked pretty well though, it was so bright it was hard to take a bad pic.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Jamesons always has a nice medicinal warmth. Funny post. I like Morfoot's advice. You have to really exaggerate throwing your hips to get from edge to edge. Remember- Always on an edge never ride flat. Flat is about an eighth inch from disaster. Faceplants in the snow are not as funny as on the water...

Plus one on all this.. Jameson is already loaded into my flask for boarding this friday..

and as Keegan points out you always need to know and be exaggerated about what edge you are one.. you will only get a microsecond to notice you arent on an edge before one of the edges picks itself.

I found snowboarding relatively easy to pick up after learning to wakeboard.. but get cocky and like wakeboarding the falls the first time our two out are real brain scramblers.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic