Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - For a "out of the water start up" "testing" reason
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

For a "out of the water start up" "testing" reason

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
woodlandsnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodlandsnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For a "out of the water start up" "testing" reason
    Posted: May-24-2011 at 6:30pm

For a "out of the water start up" "testing" reasons...

I just got my 82 2001 last week and I was wondering, when the boat is out of the water do I hook up the house system on, turn the water on then start up the boat or start up the boat then turn the water on?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 7:38pm

I have a Flush-Pro and I installed a shutoff valve along with a quick connect on the inlet side. I turn the water on slightly before starting then once it's started I turn it all the way on.

How are you connecting the water to the boat?
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 3:52am
If you use the bucket trick you can turn on the water before you start, you also have time to start and then turn on the water if you start with a full bucket. I've got a long enough hose to keep the bucket on the ground at the house and its also handy for running the boat on the lift when the water is rough and I don't want to float it.
Nevergrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevergrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 7:39am
I've got an '89 and turn the water mains water on full till I see it running out the pickups, then simply start the boat. Turning the boat off I stop the engine first, then turn the water off.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 8:57am
Turning on the water before you start insures you'll have water at the RWP impeller.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Turning on the water before you start insures you'll have water at the RWP impeller.

+1 however my new boat has no place for any water hook up. What is the bucket trick?
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodlandsnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 12:30pm
The owner told me to hook up the water hose to this adapter on the back of the boat, turn on the water then start the boat. I also had a guy tell me putting the water on with the engine not started could get water in the motor, so I am a little confused. lol
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by sweet77 sweet77 wrote:

+1 however my new boat has no place for any water hook up. What is the bucket trick?

You have two choices, to run house water into the boat, pull off the raw water intake from the through-hull under your transmission. Depending on the ID of the hose, the garden hose may clamp right in, otherwise you may need some fittings. (most fit right in, mine is 1 1/4 so it doesnt.) The alternative is the bucket method as shown in this thread. Benefit of bucket method, it verifies that your RWP is good. Running on a hose shoots water into the motor so your pump might be bad and you would never know.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by woodlandsnautique woodlandsnautique wrote:

The owner told me to hook up the water hose to this adapter on the back of the boat, turn on the water then start the boat. I also had a guy tell me putting the water on with the engine not started could get water in the motor, so I am a little confused. lol

Josh,
Who are you going to believe. The owner of the boat and all of us or the guy who's been smoking something and believes in "old wives tales"?    Seriously, In order for the water to enter any of the combustion chambers with riser type exhaust manifold elbows, you'd need to plug up the exhaust at the transom and then fill up exhaust with water probably at least 12".

Ask that guy what he's basing his opinion on?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodlandsnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 1:43pm
makes sense, I didnt want to screw my boat up a week into it. If the impeller is bad, the motor would heat up pretty quick because its not cooling correct, starting to understand a little about boat motors
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 2:31pm
Well, the bucket trick tests the impeller: Even though the hose is filling the bucket, it's still up to the motor (impeller) to pull water from the bucket. If the impeller is bad, the bucket will never be emptied.

The direct hose connection just forces water in. It's not bad for the motor though, but you'll never know if your impeller is questionable because it's not being made to do any work.

The bucket method is leading a horse to water but allowing it to drink for itself
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by sweet77 sweet77 wrote:

Halston,
The bucket trick is for peolple that may have a low water supply on their garden hose. If this is the case, some have found that the RWP will out pump the supply and collapse the garden hose due to the suction. What you do is place the hose from the RWP into a bucket and then keep filing the bucket with the garden hose. This gives you some cushion with the water needed/used.

I have never run into the problem myself ether on my well water up north or my city water down here. Some must have some pretty low flow garden hoses!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 2:49pm
And, as Brian mentioned, using the bucket is a good way to check the condition of the RWP. You do not fill the bucket with the garden hose so you can time how long it takes the RWP to pump a given amount of water. This should be done with the bucket in the boat to mimic close to the same suction head as if the RWP was sucking out of the lake.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
johnstonad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnstonad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 4:17am
That is really a nice one. I hope that I can also done it with the bucket. Thanks for the information. :D
lank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 6:55pm
I've got a 1972 Martinique with the Chrysler engine. I'm going to hook-up a connection so I can run off the garden hose or from a bucket. My question is, "Do I need to connect into both lines coming from the through hull pick-ups feeding the RWP or will connecting into one provide sufficient water for the engine?" From what I've seen on the posts it looks like just one line used, but I'm new to this and wanted to consult the group. Thanks - the CorrectCraftFan community has been a great resource to me already!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 7:10pm
I put my connector in-line above the transmission before the trans oil cooler. Works great and cost me about $10.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by lank lank wrote:

I've got a 1972 Martinique with the Chrysler engine. I'm going to hook-up a connection so I can run off the garden hose or from a bucket. My question is, "Do I need to connect into both lines coming from the through hull pick-ups feeding the RWP or will connecting into one provide sufficient water for the engine?" From what I've seen on the posts it looks like just one line used, but I'm new to this and wanted to consult the group. Thanks - the CorrectCraftFan community has been a great resource to me already!

Not an expert, but a quick look at the engine manual shows that one intake sends water to the engine, one to the manifolds. Don't know how critical it is for the manifolds to be cooled during testing. But I do seem to recall there was a recent post about someone frying their motor by only running one side (obviously the manifold side vs the motor side. I dont think I would take a chance and come up with some way to feed both sides.)

EDIT: Doh!! See Tim's post below about frying impellers...didn't even think of that.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 7:38pm
Lank, check out this thread.

I am not overly familiar with them, but what youre describing sounds like a dual impeller RWP that Chrysler used for a while. I would definitely be sure to cool both paths when running on the hose- otherwise you could overheat the exhaust, or at a minimum, fry that impeller.

I cant think of a reason why you couldnt tie the 2 lines together between the intake grates and RWP so that you could use a single tee for a garden hose... but someone more familiar with the Chrysler cooling system should probably chime in before you go down that path.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 7:47pm
Both need to be hooked up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2011 at 2:21pm
Thanks for you help guys! With your guidance along with some other online research (marineengine.com is a good resource)- I confirmed that my engine has the dual impeller RWP that TRBenj and 75 Tique mentioned above. The pump is a Sherwood DP60. I even found a print for it that I'd be happy to upload if anybody is interested? For now I've decided to plumb/feed each line independently - ready to get the boat back together and in the water!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic