NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barefooting Willie Farrell 56 yrs young

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barefooting Willie Farrell 56 yrs young
    Posted: March-04-2012 at 7:25pm
I am lucky to ski with one of the best barefooters in the world, one of the true pioneers of the sport. He turned 56 last year and his barefooting is still awesome to watch. He's quite a character. He's known around the world by a few different nicknames, Bayou Boogie Barefooter, Channel Cat, One Way Willie, but one thing is super consistant: his barefoot skiing speaks for itself.

What will you be doing when you're 56?

This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2012 at 8:24pm
[QUOTE=GlassSeeker]

What will you be doing when you're 56?

/QUOTE]

Drinking a cold beer and wishing I could ski as good as Willie....still.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2012 at 9:03pm
Happy Birthday to Willie.

I saw Willie foot at a Tournament on the San Jacinto River outside of Houston in about 1983 +/-.

Me at 56 years old.

Not a great picture but you get the idea, only picture I had from 2011, my 56th year. I am definitely no Willie Farrell, but at least I'm out there making the effort.

Need to hear from JBear and Bill, too, they're still doing a pretty good job and they got a few years on me.
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2012 at 11:00pm

Impressive footing whether you're 26, 36, or 56!! Andy is a very fortunate guy to be able to go out with someone like Willie on a regular basis...guys like that sure reduce the learning curve. Case in point: my bro' hooking up with Eddie [Backfoot 100] and finally learning backerds at the age of 58.
     I've given up the trick stuff long ago and at 69 I'm happy to still take my daily run and do some multiples with my son, brother, and anyone else willing to join in. Still a thrill to get that first run of the year in each year and realize I can still get it done!

Happy Birthday to Willie from here also!!
Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 3:00am
Happy Birthday to a guy we all grew up watching...you are lucky to be able to ski with someone like that...like being able to play Baseball with Sandy Alomar or Kenny Lofton.

As for me..my 'Willie' has been backfoot100..Eddie Olson. Sure wish I had met him 20 years earlier.

But for real skiing pleasure and thrills it don't get no better than this:

3 man run with 2 of my sking mentors/heros...my brother Bill and Ralph Shick who were, at the time of this picture last summer, ages 69 and 72 respectivly.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 5:46pm
Happy Birthday Willie! All you guys are an inspiration. Its great to see that if you put your mind to it, you can enjoy this sport for many years to come! By no means am I a pup anymore (Starting this barefoot thing at 42), but its encouraging to know you actually can learn new tricks as an "old dog"!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 7:50pm
Steve - Roy just started at 45, you have seen how much he has learned, he even learned he needed a Sanger to get better at wake slalom. He's pushing for back wakes this summer, a sideslide, and back toes.
This is the life
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Happy Birthday to a guy we all grew up watching...you are lucky to be able to ski with someone like that...like being able to play Baseball with Sandy Alomar or Kenny Lofton.

Only a cleveland boy would make that reference
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 3:55pm
Wow, that is impressive. Bill, I'm equally impressed that you are out there every day at 69, just great to see what staying active can do for you.

I'm 50 and plan to learn this summer. I took a few tries on the boom in October but ran out of time and weather. I did manage to end up with a huge black and blue raspberry on my side though! If I struggle I'll call on Larry and that MA crowd to get me started in the right direction.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
eenaecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eenaecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:20am
I have a 1979 barefoot skier with a pro built 460 .030 kieth black pistons and an OFFENHOUSER   SONICPORT INTAKE AND750 DOUBLE PUMP HOLLYIT HACAN ANY BS A BIG POLE AND ZERO TIME ON THE MOTOR     I NEED AN ENGIN COVER CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIND ONE     samedayearl@gmail.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 3:18am
Post some pics of the boat/engine...you might also post in the parts wanted section. Does your old engine cover not fit the big block?
Let's see this thing.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 3:36am
This is from 78. World Barefoot Comp #1
Willie jumps and gets interviewed.
This is the life
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 4:35am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

This is from 78. World Barefoot Comp #1
Willie jumps and gets interviewed.

Amazing old video did not know the 78 World Championships were held in Australia. Canberra is our national capital.
The TV personality that interviewed him Ian Turpie sadly died a few weeks ago from cancer.

I do not have long to catch Willie in age but have no chance of getting anywhere near his barefooting ability.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 4:49am
the funny part was the other guy calling 67mph!
This is the life
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 11:33am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

the funny part was the other guy calling 67mph!

Cant see the video- maybe meant kph? 67kph = 41.5mph
john_33612 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_33612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 1:41pm
guy I ski with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lghVz4W_Y
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by john_33612 john_33612 wrote:

guy I ski with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lghVz4W_Y

Followed that link. Good for that guy, I like to see that at that age. I need to conquer a long line back deep this summer.

When on that page, I spotted this one. Not that big a deal, but a pretty cool twist to a start. Looks like a Hollywood move.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:35pm
Same guy who called for 67mph also made the stroke-n-it move as he approached his second jump. That's like throwing out the Shocker during high school commencement (which my son did )
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:37pm
I also like the guys pounding beers while running the measuring devices.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:50pm
I must be getting old (well duh!) But I find myself having to go to the "urban dictionary" to find out what you guys are talking about. Sometimes, like just now, I wish I hadn't.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 5:23pm
Tim,
yes it was a max speed of 67kph by rule in jump and the interviewer asked if he had requested 67kph and he responded that he requested 67MPH

At the tournaments I've been to you will hear guys request 99mph for wake slalom because they want the boat to go wide open and get as much speed as they can, of course they already know they will only get 46 or 47,sometimes less, very few boats will pull faster than that when loaded with 5 adults(driver, videographer, 3 judges) and towing a barefooter.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 5:24pm
Sorry Tique, but with 18 and 22 year-old sons, I am constantly inundated with these terms. I couldn't figure out why they would snicker if I mentioned having an Old Fasioned at the bar.   
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic