Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

82 SN problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
383 s10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 383 s10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 82 SN problems
    Posted: March-11-2012 at 2:25pm
Hi guys new to the site. looking for some help I bought my first boat A 82 SN engine was knocking.I rebult the engine got it back in the boat. now the prop shaft stays turning and it leaks water behind water pump and timein chane cover. any help would be appreciated thanks. michael
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 2:34pm
The prop shaft turning is called 'dirty neutral' & unless it is very bad can be left alone. It is a sign that your tranny is ready for rebuild.

The water leak sounds like a bad gasket. Hopefully not a crack from freezing.

Take the pump off & see what you find. Post soem picts of your new ride.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
383 s10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 383 s10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 2:50pm
Thanks for the info. I didnt know if it was something I did putting the trans in. it's turning pretty fast. I replaced the waterpump gasket still leaking.I guss it's back to the drawing board thanks.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 6:04pm
do you have the boat in the water? can it be stopped with your foot?
"the things you own will start to own you"
383 s10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 383 s10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 9:13pm
Have not had it in water.I started it on the hose. did not try stoping it with my foot , but stoped it with channel locks that I clamped down on A rag. Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 11:43pm
Are you sure the waterpump seal isn't leaking?

Ben Franklin
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 12:16am
there is a weep hole between the timing cover and water pump. The pump could be wore out and leaking.
383 s10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 383 s10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 12:27pm
New water pump,is the timeing chane cover gasket the same as on A auto? I used A gasket set from auto zone.Thanks for all the help
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 1:04pm
well the fit would be the same but we usually avoid anything from autozone. Also there are few different styles of water pumps. Are you sure the gasket lined up everywhere? I get felpro gaskets from summit or from skidim.com. At least with the skidim ones I know they are correct.

There is a gasket between the pump and the little metal inspection plate and another between the plate the front of the timing cover. You have both on right?
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 6:30pm
I had the same problem when I used the cheap gaskets that came with the new timming set. they leaked and I went back and replaced with fel-pro no problems now ...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 7:03pm
Michael,
Please stay away for Autozone!! Yes, they really do not have a high quality product line.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 7:12pm
First thing I thought of Pete when he posted Autozone gaskets was that I wonder if he got his pump there too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 7:20pm
Really any autoparts store is going to be less than knowledgeable on these boats. The only thing I would buy there is shop towels or some brake cleaner. Autozone not only will give you the wrong part it will be cheap as well and most likely fail.
383 s10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 383 s10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 7:42pm
Thanks guy's. I think it was a felpro set.but the water pump was orderd off line from A local boat dealer.i'm sure I can get the water pump stoped.the trans is what bother's me thanks for all the help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 11:28pm
Eric can rebuild that tranny for you.

Ben Franklin
383 s10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 383 s10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 7:27pm
That sounds like who I need to talk to.How can I get in tuch?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by 383 s10 383 s10 wrote:

That sounds like who I need to talk to.How can I get in tuch?

In "tuch"? I've done it too!!

Fantastic finnish marine

BTW, Eric has been our on site trans guy for YEARS!! He has always done good on all his trans rebuild,

Please do some exploring on CCfan and you will read plenty!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 7:56pm
not eric anymore, vince now, but they will take care of you.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 7:59pm
Justin,
Was Eric serious when he stated he sold the business? I thought he was joking! I must have missed some posts when I was off line up north??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 8:15pm
sorry to threadjack, but Eric asks if the dirty neutral can be stopped with a foot. Does stopping with a foot indicate the severity of the tranny problem or estimated life left before a rebuild? Inquiring minds.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic