Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
riturbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor problems
    Posted: August-12-2013 at 10:29pm
Thanks for the reply. I ordered a new cap and rotor plus points today.Figured At least give it a try
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 11:29am
You could check the dist. by wiggling the shaft - if it has more than a few thousands play, then it is junk. It could just be a bad cap or rotor though.

You can find a points style dizzy on Ebay, but most guys update to Electronic Ignition.

Mallory or DUI are popular brands.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
riturbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 11:16am
I know this is an old tread but my boat seems to be doing the same thing.My son was pulling the tube yesterday and he shut the boat off and when he shut it off and started it back up the boat was running bad. I was checking it out and it seemed like it was skipping. When you put a slight presure on the side of the distribitor it would stall .if you pushed it back it would run better. So after reading this I think that the bushings in the dist must be bad. Its a 1987 2001. Do you know where i can get a new one.Or would now be a good time to upgrade to a newer style set up. Or can I rebuild it myself. The season is almost over so I dont want to have much down time if I can help it Thanks
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 12:26pm
I would like to know who your brother is using. It's probably someone I already know. I took my boat to Chuck Dluzak. He's westside out of Pulteney. I know he does a lot of work out of the 2 marinas in B'Port. The stuff he has at his house, he works out of Harbor Lights marina. He also familiar with my boat as he worked it for the previous owner.

David
86 Martinique
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 12:09am
Originally posted by Keuka Keuka wrote:

My boat has been running terribly. I rebuilt the carb and didn't change anything. After my futile attempts, I took it to a local mechanic..On further investigation, I have 3-4 cylinders missing consistenly. If I put some pressure on the distributor, the other cylinders kick in. If I let off, I loose the cylinders. The cylinders in question are all on the port side of the distributor. Checked a different cap and rotor with no change. Has anyone else had similar issues? What was done to fix it? I take it a new distributor is in my future.

David

If you want an actual mechanic my brother takes his southwind to guy on the lake (west lake) near branchport, excellent work, can get you the name if you want
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 5:43pm
this happened to me last year pete, check the gap on each lobe, mine where drastically different due to wear, I got a new dizzy for 90 bucks on ebay, and swapped with my old gear to make RR. Back in business.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 5:33pm
Sloppy bushings also screws up the dwell. Did the mechanic check it as well as the timing? What did he tell you to do?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 5:28pm
Or you can send it in and have it rebuilt. There's a good chance that the shaft bushings are worn so the rotor isn't where it should be.

One of our members sent his in not to long ago with good results.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 5:17pm
My boat has been running terribly. I rebuilt the carb and didn't change anything. After my futile attempts, I took it to a local mechanic..On further investigation, I have 3-4 cylinders missing consistenly. If I put some pressure on the distributor, the other cylinders kick in. If I let off, I loose the cylinders. The cylinders in question are all on the port side of the distributor. Checked a different cap and rotor with no change. Has anyone else had similar issues? What was done to fix it? I take it a new distributor is in my future.

David
86 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic