Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

4 more cylinders to what i'm used to

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GrumpyGeoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 more cylinders to what i'm used to
    Posted: July-27-2012 at 7:19pm
Hi guys back again,
We've got a 5.8l ford PCM 351 I'n a 1980 ski nautique. Recently we've changed plugs, leads, condenser, rotor, full carb refurb, battery and some more

The engine idols great, and engages gear and plods nicely, it's when you put the hammer down there's a problem. The power seams to surge, no shudder or clunking just not picking up smoothly or properly

Were now scratching heads about fuel lines or pumps? Another clue could that today the hand pump ball thing you use to prime or pump fuel in by hand sucked itself inwards while running.

Another strange thing is that out of gear and on land (with hose to intake) the engine sounds like it picks up to high revs 'cleanly'

It's a holley 4 bbl by the way

Any clues anyone

Thanks a lot ps Hi its Geoff this time. The above was written by my sons. The problem really is that the secondary butterflies aren't opening and when forced to open there is little fuel coming through the secondary jets. Wonder if the secondery vacume diaphram has been damaged by trying to find out the firing sequence. Engine plate found in bilge, the reason we had dripping primarys seems to be my fault, excellerator pump incorrectly adusted, i hadn't adjusted the clearence with the pump compressed, at least i own up to my own mistakes
.Have a good weekend, Geoff, Matthew and Tom
....Don't have children, unless you plan to win the lottery anytime soon!!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 7:24pm
so its still surging? Also you should not need a hand prime pump. You should remove this, if its losing prime there are other issues needing addressed (fuel pump/carb)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 7:27pm
Since the primer bulb is collapsing, I'd say something is blocking fuel flow from the tank. Check your anti siphon valve on the tank top and also your fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. With age and the ethanol fuels, it's known to collapse.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 7:27pm
They always sound great in neutral

You have a restriction at the tank, likely the barb fitting, it has a spring and ball in it, tends to clog there

Secondaries wont begin to open until over 3500 rpm, while under load.

Then some carb adjustmet seems in order.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 10:17pm
So do the secondaries not open when the engines not I'n gear (under load) or did you mean something else?

I'm gonna start with fuel lines/ tank blockages
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by GrumpyGeoff GrumpyGeoff wrote:

So do the secondaries not open when the engines not I'n gear (under load) or did you mean something else?

Under load means in the water in gear and turning the engine at 3500 RPM or more. Think vacuum.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 7:29am
Good morning, well it is here.
No 1 The ball pump is just there so when its stood for some time (weeks) you don't need to crank the motor over just to fill the carbs.
No 2 There is an issue with the fuel line from the tank and perhaps there may be a blockage in the internal pick up pipe in the tank. I'll put an air line on that and see ( this wasn't the original fault ) To get the boat back, we put a fuel line directly in to a one gallon gas can. So at this moment in time can rule out anything before the pump.
No 3 Fuel tank connection its not a barb fitting, its straight onto the tank.

No4 Under load, i mean when the boat is on the water and in gear, from 20mph up.
No 5 Correct me if i'm wrong, when the primary butterflies open, a vaccume is created in the inlet manifold, when this vacume reaches a certain negative pressure, the secondary butterflies open. On the port side of the engine, there is a diaphram, is this used as a damper (spring) or does it operatate the butterflies?
No 6 The Holly has what you call a boost valve, what does it control, is it fuel or vacume for the butterflies?
No 7 Everybody has stated that the secondarys don't open while on the trailer in neutral, unless my age is getting to me, i'm sure i see the secondary butterflies open with gallons of fuel coming out of the secondary venturies when the revs have been taken up to max by blipping the throttle (you see the kids at the traffic lights waiting for green thinking they're at the start of the indy 500, thats what i mean) and why did i do it, cos it sounds nice. Thats when i've seen the butterfies open. Thanks all, Geoff
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 11:56am
Geoff - I think it would be helpful for you to read the theory of operation on a holley carb - I am sure it will be on a Holley website.

Keep in mind that the engine craetes a vacuum in take system becuase the butterflies are limiting how much air is let in. When you open the throttle, the vacuum drops. It is when the vacuum drops to a certain level that tthe secondaries open. Same for the power valve.

You might be able to momentarily create a low vacuum when quickly going to wot at no load, but it wouldn't stay there long. Neither should you BTW!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 7:53pm
Still struggling everyone,

Today we've changed fuel line and removed manual bulb, were pretty sure it's nothing to do with that now

(grumpy) Geoff will probably blog and correct me later but the diaphragm in the housing next to the choke that opens the secondaries had blown itself inside out, I think this might be due to some back firing after getting the firing order wrong

Really scratching heads now as we ran it about 2 weeks ago and top end was fine, but it wouldn't idle. That's why we tried changing all the ignition components. Now it seems to idle fine but appears lumpy or like it's missing ( although don't think it is actually missing) when you accelerate.

What about coil? What about vacuum leak? Where should we look for one?

(grumpy) Geoff has tonight revealed he's not 100% about the gasket between the carb and the block itself as the ones to choose from in the kit weren't exactly the same (only for that one )...that's how confused and running out of ideas we are...so depressed now lol :(

P.s he has done his homework on the Holley site as suggested so he can have some brownie points for that

Thanks for any ideas, Matt
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 9:26pm
Hello Geoff, just a quick note or idea. When you were doing you ignition work did you check the distributor for advance function? because what you are describing could be a manifestation of timing problems. IE: no or too little advance. If you have an advance light it could be evaluated quickly and at least be one more thing checked off in your deductive process.
The best of luck.
John
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 9:53pm
Thanks John,

We did use a strobe light for the timing and have altered it, is that what u meant? I know Geoff (my dad) did take the distributor apart today to look inside at the advance/retard mechanism and was wondering about the springs being loose in there..I think he's gone off to have a think about that, it's about midnight here now so I'll ask him I'n the morning

I think he thinks he may have over adjusted the floats to compensate for some of the ignition issues. Do you think float settings might cause some of the symptoms?

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 9:58pm
1 spring is supposed to be loose. Yes, float adjustment is critical so it is best to adjust it to spec. You can take some carb cleaner spray & check for vacuum leaks around carb base.    Also, don't forget to set idle mixture.

Did you check point dwell? Bad Points & condenser can manifest themselves in a number of ways.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 10:11pm
I'll make sure Geoff reads all this in the morning, and suggest we put everything back to default and start again

What your all suggesting will make more sense to him, I'm an office monkey sho just wants to use it, he's the pit crew

Cheers all

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 10:17pm
...one last thought, we bought a points, condensor and rotor kit. The rotor was correct but the points were not the right ones, the condenser seemed to fit. Could it be that the condenser is also wrong? Could it be that the points are knackered?

We've still not tried to contact supplier to see if they supply parts that are not In a kit
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 10:57pm
Although the condenser didn't seem to fit, most likely it will work. It's only purpose is to quench the arc when the point contacts open. When they open on the DC current, there is a pretty big arc that burns up the point set contacts.

I feel you had better go back to your supplier with all the part #'s and find out what happened.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 7:28pm
Thank you all for your replies, and the happy ending is, exceleration like a rat up a sewer pipe and a tick over (idle) as slow as a single cylinder diesel. So what have i learnt? The cutting out when going into gear was the accelerator pump maladjusted, anyone that adjusts must remember to do it with the throttle wide open and the lever pushed down and adjust. In my case, it was a long way out and this, i believe was causing the dripping primary jets when the engine was stopped. the secondaries not opening was cused by me again, by lowering the primary float chamber level.So i would suggest anybody who has engine cutting out when selecting drive, first check the aceleration pump clearance. Anybody who has a good idle speed and ok going into drive, checks the primary float level and if that doesn't work, change the float valve.
Up to now, it hasn't cost you a cent but half an hour of your time, a scew driver and 2 11 mill spanners. If every things ok, then you can go down the road for ht leads and plugs, points and timing.
As for timing, i've checked static timing after using a strobe and its as near as damn it to 10 degrees (for those that haven't got a strobe). The other thing i'd recommend is marking the distributor cap 1 to 8 and the leads themselves 1 to 8 using small tie wraps and while you're at it, write the firing order down on the inside of the engine box.
Well thanks again all, my 2 sons are happy now and all i,ve got to do is get all my tools back oh and the money i spent on bits ahh dream on. Not a Grumpy Geoff, i'm off to the pub (bar)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 8:28pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic