NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Issues?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
verdi1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verdi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb Issues?
    Posted: August-07-2012 at 5:40pm
What I have done: Rebuilt the carb with holley rebuild kit, new fuel pump, new plugs, wires, condenser, poits

Problem: when starting up it is having to turn over at least 5 plus times before firing, thought it might be ignition trouble so replaced what I mentioned above and did not solve the problem. I noticed this past weekend that after turning the ignition over and it wasn't firing right away i looked down in the carb and noticed gas was still dripping into the primary for at least 15-25 seconds. I had the throttle in neutral, is this normal for gas to be still dribling down into the carb that long? Thinking is almost causing a flooding situation which may be my long turnover time before cranking?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 6:01pm
try adjusting float, I had to replace my needle and seat in the primary again, that solved my dripping issues. There has been a rash of faulty new ones. There should be no dripping.

Do you give it a pump of gas to start when its cold? Are you talking cold start or warm start btw?
verdi1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verdi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 6:08pm
I had adjusted the float according to specs. (parallel with the casing) will try again.

I pump the throttle twice before starting and the issue is occurring at warm start.

Won't be back to the boat for another couple weeks to try anything though.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 6:13pm
yes, I would imagine on warm start that is your problem, adjust the float a little past parallel so it shuts off a smidge sooner. If that doesnt work, then try another needle and seat, it has to be one of the two if its dripping after its off.

you havent messed with the fuel pump have you? The holley carb can only withstand a max psi of 8, you didnt add some high pressure fuel pump or something right? It would overpower the needle and seat in the carb if you did.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 6:14pm
Level works when the carb is level. But yours in not.
A little front/rear bias to compensate is typical.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 6:20pm
right, so if you are holding the bowl upside down bend the tang on the float slighty so the bowl is higher than level, angled slightly up, this will give it a little more pressure to hold the seat closed.
verdi1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verdi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 6:28pm
Will give it a shot and report back.

Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by verdi1 verdi1 wrote:

I had adjusted the float according to specs. (parallel with the casing) will try again.

Are you using the automotive specs? Remember, a marine sits on an angle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
verdi1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verdi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Are you using the automotive specs? Remember, a marine sits on an angle.

I purchased a PCM manual from white lake marine (which sucks if you need pictures like me because the thing looks like it has been copied about 250 times and I got the 250th copy!) that is what i used for specification.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 8:48pm

I purchased a PCM manual from white lake marine (which sucks if you need pictures like me because the thing looks like it has been copied about 250 times and I got the 250th copy!) that is what i used for specification.

Manual 4201 on the top of this page is a nice to have. I have it and it's a good quality print.
http://www.skidim.com/searchprods.asp?searchstring=manual&pagenumber=1&val=0
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 8:59pm
[QUOTE=verdi1]
I pump the throttle twice before starting and the issue is occurring at warm start.
QUOTE]

You pump the throttle when it's warm?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Manual 4201 on the top of this page is a nice to have. I have it and it's a good quality print.
http://www.skidim.com/searchprods.asp?searchstring=manual&pagenumber=1&val=0

I printed off both the pcm and the ford manuals in the reference section on this site, good to read pictures etc. Put them in a 3 ring binder and keep in the garage with the boat.
verdi1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verdi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2012 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

[QUOTE=verdi1]
QUOTE]

Habit I guess, unnecessary I assume? Did start warm without pumping at all and came up with same result, turning over too long before firing.
verdi1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verdi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2012 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

[QUOTE=verdi1]
QUOTE]

Habit I guess, unnecessary I assume? Did start warm without pumping at all and came up with same result, turning over too long before firing.
verdi1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verdi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2012 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

yes, I would imagine on warm start that is your problem, adjust the float a little past parallel so it shuts off a smidge sooner. If that doesnt work, then try another needle and seat, it has to be one of the two if its dripping after its off.

you havent messed with the fuel pump have you? The holley carb can only withstand a max psi of 8, you didnt add some high pressure fuel pump or something right? It would overpower the needle and seat in the carb if you did.

Changed out the pump after taking it out several times and would fire initially and then when warm and shut down sporadically would not fire back but with a healthy dose of starting fluid I could get it back running. It was like it was losing prime, I put this on another post. Swapping the pump solved it though. I purchased the pump from Nautique parts and it was close to the same pump but not an exact replica of the old, will post pics of them side by side
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2012 at 4:10pm
Pumping throttle on a hot engine will exacerbate your symptoms.

Just hold the throttle open a crack or more.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2012 at 4:29pm
ya as long as you are using a standard fuel pump thatll be fine. Sometimes people more pressure=better, not true in this case.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic