Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alignment help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alignment help
    Posted: March-31-2013 at 7:56pm
I used a dial indicator and checked the shaft in two places between the strut and shaft log plus I checked again at the shaft taper and the shaft appears to be perfectly straight. I'm not able to check the straightness of the shaft up by the coupler because I can't turn the shaft when the couplers are tightened and if I leave them loose, just touching the shaft skews the measurements.

The problem I currently have is the coupler gap follows the shafts coupler and is about 0.013" more than the opposite side. I've gotten the engine alignment so that the same gaps follow their respective position on the coupler regardless of orientation (hope that makes sense). The shaft coupler wiggles a bit which I think may be the primary culprit here.

What are my options? Would a new coupler fix the problem?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2013 at 8:10pm
The coupler wiggles on the shaft? If so, time for an ARE shaft.

You could get a new coupler, but you have to have it fitted & faced.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2013 at 10:22pm
John,
Chris is correct that it would be a good time for a ARE shaft system. The coupling on the shaft is a heat shrink (.000" to a -.0005") interference fit. It should not be loose. It also sounds like the shaft is bent since the gap between the coupling faces follow the shaft rotation. I would also question your engine to prop shaft alignment since it should turn freely when the coupling it tightened up.

How's the strut to the log alignment? Remember, alignment starts at the strut and then you move forward.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2013 at 11:33pm
I will check on the strut alignment. I did have to heat the coupler to get it on the shaft so I know it has/had some interference fit in some places but it may have worn in its "happy place" where it needs to be causing the slight wiggle.

One thing that I just thought of was I had the coupler bolts in the whole time so I was always spinning the tranny and shaft together. Is it possible that a misalignment could cause the tranny coupler and shaft coupler to wear equally? Before surrendering to a new shaft system, I'll go out and see if there is a sweet spot between the two couplers as well.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 8:11am
John,
The coupling should not "wiggle" on the shaft at all. The coupling is worn from fretting due to misalignment. An interference fit is when the coupling is locked onto the shaft after it cools. Heating the coupling expands it so it will go onto the shaft. You have missed what an interference fit is. The coupling is trash. The "happy place" or "sweet spot" is when the alignment of the strut is correct so the shaft spins freely {coupling halves not bolted) in the strut and is centered in the log.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic