Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Installing Alternator Help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kodyind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodyind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing Alternator Help
    Posted: July-29-2013 at 4:53pm
I am helping a friend with his 2006 air nautigue. The alternator is bad so we took the old one out and boy it was hard to get out. Is there a way to loosen up the belt, I could not see one and it will be a bear to get the new one back on the same way it came off. Can anyone help me

thanks
Jim
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 5:36pm
Pictures might help... I'm not familiar with the 06 air, but if it only has one belt on the front, you might check to see what other belt driven accessories have the adjustment (raw water pump comes to mind)
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 6:19pm
If it's a serpentine belt (aka one single long belt) there is most likely a spring loaded tensioner somewhere.

This would be a pulley that rides on the belt, but doesn't drive any particular accessory.

Usually, the tensioner will have a place that accepts a square ratchet drive. Put the right sized ratchet on there, and just pull (one way or the other) against the spring to release the tension on the belt and temporarily remove the belt.
kodyind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodyind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 6:19pm
Its a v drive so its hard to see, not much room to see or work
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 6:29pm
You're looking for something that looks... errr feels like this. The square ratchet drive receive could be on the back side of the pulley, or you may just use the bolt on the front as your leverage point:
kodyind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodyind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 7:44pm
Ok I will look in the morning, so how does that work, If I loosen it do I use a bar or large screw driver to pry it tight

thanks
again
Jim
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 8:51pm
No, no. No large screwdriver. It's spring loaded.

Check this out

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic