Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1983 Nautique 2001 with mercruiser 454

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983 Nautique 2001 with mercruiser 454
    Posted: October-10-2013 at 9:01pm
I have a 1983 Nautique with a 454 mercruiser, mechanic has redone crank, he then installed new lifters with old cam, cam then lost a lobe.
I am based in South Africa, and have been struggling with the local mercruiser agents, they not helpfull at all, dont even know their own serial no's.
Any suggestion where I can get a good quality cam, with new followers, no Kong Fong products.
Also any one sure of mark iv/v/vi series this motor is?
engine no:22642
block casting 14015445 gmt14
any help would be much appreciated, my 1st Nautique, and would like to restore it to new.
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2013 at 12:46am
many good cams, I prefer edelbrock and Crane most. Others also like Comp cams. They are all US made. They are most likely the same cam, Edelbrock is the same as summit cams as there is only 3 cam grinders in the US.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2013 at 11:17am
Is that standard or reverse rotation?
Brian
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2013 at 11:40am
That Merc 454 is either non-original (most likely) or a very oddball factory engine (pretty unlikely). The 14015445 casting number indicates that its a Mark IV.

We need to know whether RH or LH. What prop does the boat have, and was it known to move under its own power with it? If thats an unknown, then pull the timing cover off and snap a pic of the timing set.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

pull the timing cover off and snap a pic of the timing set.

+1
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 10:29pm
Tim, I'm not 100% sure of this on big blocks, but most of the GM engines use the same cam LH or RH. They just reverse the rotation direction of the cam by using gears to drive it off the crank instead of using a chain.
Art
"Art"
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 11:10pm
Only thing they have in common is they spin in the same direction.It is a reverse fire and ground totally different.If you put them side by side the lobes are in different positions and the front of cam is different to take the timing gear.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 11:31pm
Well, now I know more than I thought I did before! That's what I get for "ass-uming!
Art
"Art"
sun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 6:51am
sun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 6:52am
Originally posted by sun sun wrote:

Any info on a cam supplier?
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 9:29am
This may help. The part numbers you need are post scripted RH. Crusader parts may be easier to source than merc for you.

http://www.jerrysmarine.com/cgi-local/show_page.cgi?page=42&reset=757
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 11:07am
Since PCM bought out Crusader, they have a good many of the older Crusader parts. You might try www.SkiDim.com and send them an email with the Crusader part # and a description of the cam. (RH 454 and any numbers you can find)
Art
"Art"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic