Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 tripping 60A breaker

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
moto132 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moto132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 tripping 60A breaker
    Posted: June-08-2014 at 8:58pm
Was having a good day on the water yesterday until i went to shut my boat off after a set in the afternoon. Instantly everything shut off including my stereo. I found that the 60A breaker on the front of the motor had tripped. I reset it, started the boat back up and then perfect pass was going on and off and my volt gage was reading 13-14 bouncing back and fourth. Shut the boat off again and nothing. Had to reset the breaker again I am getting 14 volts with the boat running to I'm ignition switch. Anyone have any ideas what would cause the breaker to keep tripping? I also tried it with my stereo shut off and the problem did not go away. Any help would be awesome.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 10:01am
What year is the boat?

Really what I'm wondering is if you have pushbutton breakers like the early ones or if you have a "smart-pod" dash setup that's more computer driven.
moto132 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moto132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 2:46pm
It's in a 97 Super Sport with the push button breakers on the dash pod
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 10:39pm
Have you made any changes to your electrical system recently?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 10:45pm
Breakers do go bad,I don't know how to test them.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 11:20pm
^^That's true.

Also, check all the wiring connections for cleanliness, tightness and corrosion. Check the quick disconnect plugs too.
moto132 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moto132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 1:20am
I have not made any changes. From what i have dug up on other topics in this issue it sounds like my main ground/power wires going to the dash may be the culprit. Other guys have found them to be undersized having the exact same issue. I am gonna try and order a new breaker and also run 10 G wire for power/ground to the dash and see if that solves my issues.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 2:34am
Not sure I have ever heard that on newer boats seems like more of an 80s thing. I would change the breaker to see if that fixes it first,you are in for a big job to run wire to the front of a vdrive if you follow the original harness.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 2:17pm
Check the condition of your battery as well. And make sure it's not a deep cycle.
LjonSF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjonSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 3:01pm
wondering if/ how you solved this issue.. having a very similar problem.

Jon
how to buy a boat:
tell your sweetheart you're going to look at a boat.
come home with a boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic