Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tachometer died on 93 ski nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rstevenson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstevenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tachometer died on 93 ski nautique
    Posted: May-04-2004 at 3:19pm
I have a 93 closed bow ski nautique. The tachometer seems to have died on me. It is a VDO guage with a white face and black bezel. I don't know the exact size (and the boat is not local) gauge I need or the exact guage. Looking on egauges.com it looks like the VDO cockpit white series, but I don't know for sure. If so, is it 3 1/8 or 3 3/8? How do I know if I need to replace the sender as well? Is it easy to do it yourself? Thanks for the help........
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2004 at 11:41pm
Are you sure the gauge has gone south? Not much in a tach to go bad. Check for loose connections or a bad wire. Is there continuity between the distributor and the tach? Tachs do not have a sender per se, they pick up the firing pulse from the positive lead off the distributor, usually a gray wire.

Seriously doubt if VDO still markets that tach. Most of the gauge outfits change their lines every few years because the boat manufacturers need variety in the lines to attract new customers. Contact them directly through their website.

As for replacing a tach, hardest part is crawling under the dash to get to the back of the unit.
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2004 at 1:50am
yeah they still make the tach. pt#1809 at skidim. its 89.90. but i was thinking it is probably a wiring problem. im sure reidp and 79 will dispute this info. screw em
trauski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trauski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 8:12pm
93 nautiques are notorious for bad fuel gauges and spiking temp gauges. both of mine are bad. so it could be the tack but check for wiring. check the whole series as the gauges are intertwined with each other on the back. might be a good time to justify perfect pass as you get a digital tack read out that is much more accurate than the vdo. check with ski dealers , they take a bunch of perfect pass out of boats traded in and sell seperate for maybe 500.00 $
1993 ski nautique,pro-boss,14/16 OJ 4-blade,perfect-pass,dual mirrors on top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic