NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BBC Velvet Drive flywheel cover

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BBC Velvet Drive flywheel cover
    Posted: January-04-2015 at 3:44pm
Is there an inspection/duct cover on an 87 BBC Barefoot Nautique? If so does it just cover the lower portion of the bell housing or is it a one piece plat that bolts all the way around the bell housing? Can't find a picture of one, or a source for one, and of course mine is missing, assuming it had one originally.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2015 at 4:00pm
Mark,
I have to assume that you are looking for the cover for the bell housing since there isn't a cover on a velvet drive. If so,the cover on the forward side of the bell housing is a flat sheet. If you can't find one,you may need to make one but, they are out there and pretty common. Search for "bell housing" and not "velvet drive".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2015 at 6:29pm
BBC ,SBC,Merc Crusader Ect... all the same I believe w/o hole for top mount starter
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2015 at 11:15pm
I've searched on Bellhousing inspection plate, cover plate, dust cover, big block Chevy, Velvet drive, Borg Warner etc.

I found this one

But its for a ZF Hurth Transmission, which actually may be a stern drive transmission. Since it bolts to the bell housing for a Velvet Drive, not to the engine I have no idea if the bolt patterns for all bellhousing lower halfs are the same or not, and like I said mine is long gone from some work done by a previous owner so I have nothing to go by.
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2015 at 11:24pm
Mark,
I think Zach at N3 has a BBC that they are removing from a BFN .... Maybe while it's out he could make you a template of the cover you are looking for and you could have one made.
Just a thought.....
Old school goin back to school!
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2015 at 11:41pm
All the transmissions bolt to same bell housing.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2015 at 11:43pm
I can make one if I had to I've got a peice of 1/8" AL plate laying around, I'll just use my bellhousing as a pattern, but its just another project that takes time. If I knew what one looked like I can keep an eye out for one until I hhave to reassemble the engine and transmission. If I haven't found one by then I guess I'll have to pull out the tools, cause you wouldn't believe all the crap that was inside the bellhousing when I took it off the engine this summer.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 12:20am
What is number cast in the inside of housing 96938? There are two types flat at bottom and round. If yours is flat that is right one you pictured.That's the Crusader/Merc part.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 12:23am
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

But its for a ZF Hurth Transmission, which actually may be a stern drive transmission.

A ZF is another brand of transmission and not for an out drive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 10:36am
Part number stamped on it is 98460.

Heres the bellhousing on the transmission.

Don't think the one pictured above is correct, seems like the bottom center bolt holes are spread too far apart.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 12:27pm
That plate hides rear main leaks; must have item!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

That plate hides rear main leaks; must have item!

As well as forward trans seal leaks! Just don't seal the plate off to the bell housing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2015 at 12:38pm
Most of you know I was joking; yes...no sealer. That's the first place to find those seals failing.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic