Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WATER STRAINER- bracket?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WATER STRAINER- bracket?
    Posted: January-18-2015 at 1:58pm
I keep looking at the stress on the hose by the trans cooler from the unsupported weight of the water strainer and hoses. I will be replacing all those hoses in the spring, but I'm thinking of making a bracket to support the strainer. From the strainer inlet side down to the trans mount bolt. Has anyone else done this? pictures? or is there a factory bracket?
thanks for input
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 2:05pm
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

Has anyone else done this? pictures? or is there a factory bracket?

Joel,
I may be wrong but I think you would be the first with the bracket. I have never seen one from the factory but again, I may be wrong.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 2:59pm
Your perceived issue is due to the lack of wire reinforced hose on your boat... Get some of the proper hose on there and the weight of the strainer won't be a concern. I've seen some strainers zip tied in place but never seen that style with a bracket.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 6:30pm
My 87 with a 351 has a bracket, but the strainer is down on the side of the engine, not hanging out up over the back of the engine like yours.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 7:52pm
Nothing wrong with anything in the picture, including the hose type. Make a bracket if you wish or move to wire reinforced hose but neither is factory or necessary.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 8:15pm
Just double checked and the hose has some sort of reinforcement in it, because I can see it on the end. Granted all this hose could be original and "breaking down" rusting inside. I'm really on the fence if nobody else has had issues. I have ordered 12' of 1" ID wire reinforced hose already for all the hose replacement.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 9:01pm
Looks like heater hose, probably fabric reinforced- definitely not wire reinforced, and not original unless my memory is completely failing.

I'd like to see the bracket on your 87, Dave... I've only seen the short lived early 80's style pool strainers with brackets.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 11:17pm
I have never seen an original 80s PCM with wire reinforced pre trans cooler.
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 12:06am
They do make a bracket. I don't know how/where you would mount it, or if it's necessary considering how many boats have the hose as the support. It is basically a piece of flat steel bent in a "u" shape and a hole in each "ear" of the u.   The strainer fits up in the "u" and then the inlet and outlet nipples go thru the ears and thread into the strainer, acting as the "bolts" holding the strainer to the bracket. I wouldn't bother with it.
On a side note, I ordered some replacement hose from one of the "big box" watersports catalogs. I made my order over the phone on a Sunday, which is handled by a call service and not actual company people. When i received the order, it was correct, but they shipped my hose in 15 one foot sections! They did make it right when I called during the week.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 12:22am
Originally posted by marlo14 marlo14 wrote:

I ordered some replacement hose from one of the "big box" watersports catalogs. I made my order over the phone on a Sunday, which is handled by a call service and not actual company people. When i received the order, it was correct, but they shipped my hose in 15 one foot sections!

Brandon,
Is their specialty tubes? You probably would have been better off going to an industrial supply like McMaster Carr. At least they corrected the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 12:32am
Yes, the catalog is about half tubes now! That was about 15 years ago, and it was probably a new order picker and not the answering service like they put the blame on. Made me laugh until I started wondering if their solution was going to be 14 hose barbs with clamps!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 12:17pm
SWANY, in 88 PCM changed the hose routing a bit. I don't know if they really intended to take the torque off the cooler but it definitely does that. The real benefit was probably just less length needed.

The hose curves straight up then into a 90, and a 90 out and down directly into the strainer. The original design has the strainer hanging but I'll bet there's clearance for the doghouse with it upside down, which would definitely make removal easier (and self draining).

I would keep the original routing and just replace with wire reinforced, possibly with some sort of support bracket/tether to make yourself feel better but it's definitely not needed.

Tim, looks like 89+ PCM started using wire reinforced all the way back there.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 1:39pm
Joel, fwiw, my 05' is factory routed pretty much like yours, all lines are wire reinforced, no bracket.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 2:47pm
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll make something like the bracket thats used to hold the blower hose....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'd like to see the bracket on your 87, Dave... I've only seen the short lived early 80's style pool strainers with brackets.

Well , I crawled under the covers and saw whats there. I could only lift the dog house about a foot with the cover still on so I did not have enough hands to take a photo. My cooling routes from the hull intake, just over the port rear engine/tyranny mount, to the water strainer, under the engine to the tyranny cooler, then up to the fresh water pump. The "bracket" is an "L" bracket and a big hose clamp bolted to the engine cradle. Definitely not factory.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

to the water strainer, then under the motor to the tranny cooler, then up to the fresh water pump.

This doesn't make any sense.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:16pm
My transmission cooler sits under the front of engine up near to the bilge drain. Never questioned it till now.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:18pm
Interesting. The transmission is in the square end, but the cooler is in the pointy end.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:21pm
Yes, a very direct cooling water path, but longer lines from the cooler to the transmission I suppose. It has always worked, should I have concerns?
1987 Ski Nautique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:24pm
No. Many other inboard mfgs snug the cooler up on the front of the engine, even post raw water pump. Adds a cleaning step when you frag an impeller.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 7:44pm
One way to go would be to replace the hoses with the new wire reinforced that I got from Zach and see how much it firms it up. Although shouldn't there be anti freeze in those lines from winterizing?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 7:50pm
Joel,
You don't need anti freeze in the hoses as well as the trans cooler. If you did get some back there, it will be between the RWP and the high side of the hose next to the strainer. Just pull them and install the wired hose.

Trust me, the new hose will firm it up plenty. The stuff is even hard to bend in tight areas.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 1:20am
I Replaced the hoses, it definitely made that set up stiffer, enough to not bothering wasting my time making some fugly bracket I guess. Would any of the "upper" hoses have coolant in them, that I could replace now?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 8:19am
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

Would any of the "upper" hoses have coolant in them, that I could replace now?

Joel,
As mentioned, don't worry about having any antifreeze in the hoses. You've got it in the block and it will stay in the low spots which is the key. If you remove hoses and find frozen antifreeze in them, don't worry. Keep in mind that the RV temp rating is burst protection and not the freezing point.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic