NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Right Starter battery for a GT40

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

my 73 911

You have my attention. More on this?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 11:55pm
I tried the 1000 amp battery also and had very poor service. I also talked with the battery rep and got the same story. The really big batteries don't have room for proper support inside and in rough water the plates can touch each other causing failure. They don't do well in the pounding. I now run a 700 amp now with no issues. I don't have a high watt stereo either so I don't have the big need. I do disconnect the battery every winter when I store the boat. A perfect boat set up would be two 600 amp batteries and have them on an isolator so you could switch from one to the other and always have a full back up.
I have had kids go down to the boat on weekend camping trips and relax in the boat, then leave the stereo running over night when they leave. It is a bummer to have a dead battery on a boat. Now with Cel phones and Ipads everywhere it seems people are always looking for a place to charge these and boats are available on camp trips. We are miles from the launch so cars are not an option on our camp/ski trips.
I have added a 800W beach battery to our equipment list now to avoid the boat being used, it has multiple usb plug ins for charging the toys and doubles to run the blender for drinks.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 12:47am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Unless you get an insane deal on the optima and the standard battery lasts 10 years the optima would have to last 20 years to make financial sense. Although I get a pretty big charge out of seeing how long of a service life I can get out of things.

Zach I have a Motorcraft from Dads Lincoln now in its 15th year,it's not in anything important but I want to see how long it keeps going. The Duralast that was in the 95 didn't even make it 6 months,I think it was dated '12. I'm running Optimas in both now since the GL problem and rather than buy 2 more batteries for the Shamrock I haul them back and forth
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 10:02am
Good idea Gary, can't drive two at the same time haha. The truck battery is still going strong at 5 years. Hoping for 10 out of it.I have never really had a daily driver long enough to kill a battery.

The 67 has had 2 batteries since I bought it in 02 one of which being in it before I purchased it. Walllll mart battery. It died over at the car show because the voltage regulator went out at the cruise night. Picked up a Car-quest job over there and it still cranks it right up every spring.

Food for though, ever since I have been working at N3 I went with a company called world wide battery. They are manufactured by Johnson controls like everyone else in the world. in 2.5 years and probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 group 24 and 65 batteries (all 1000CA or greater) I have yet to warranty one single battery. These mostly all power stupid sound systems too.

We do disconnect each boats batteries for winter lay up and give them a charge in the spring if the customer opts to have a summerization checklist completed.

Before me we used to use a lot of interstate batteries. I've seen a decent amount of those come back under warranty or bad out of warranty.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 3:20pm
My experience with batteries has been hit or miss, had dual red top optima's in a suburban that lasted 8yrs, had a motorcraft in my pickup that lasted 13yrs. The 206 came with an interstate from the factory, junk after 3 seasons, replaced with a Blue top which lasted almost 5 seasons, couple seasons on a spare battery, bought a new blue top this spring and returned it this fall because it was giving me problems all year.

I typically pull my battery in the offseason and charge periodically over the winter.

My buddy who owns an auto repair shop says he replaces more young Everstart's then anything else.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 3:41pm
They were buying something at work really cheap, Ameristar I think,went thru 2 in a week. My time lost,2 tows and the mechanics time. Our mechanic started getting Motorcraft's for everything,problems gone. Don't know if they are still good though,you know how all companies can squeeze a dime,what's good one day might not be the next. Just found out AcDelco came out with an economy oil filter the hard way,they have a suffix E in the part number. Stamped end plate ,plastic media retainer,I'm taking it back----
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Just found out AcDelco came out with an economy oil filter the hard way,they have a suffix E in the part number. Stamped end plate ,plastic media retainer,I'm taking it back----

Fram makes them and private labels the filter AC.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 6:36pm
Go figure Pete,they really look cheap I'll have to look what the dealer has put on see if they are trying to raise the bottom line
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
rrichr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrichr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 1:43pm
So I go to Walmart and the only Group 65 batteries they carry are automotive and all marine batteries are group 24, 27 up to 31 before they do into 4 and 8D's. The lady asked me if I matched it to the correct battery for my vehicle and instead of me just saying yes I had to clarify to her that it was actually for a boat.

She told me that Walmart's policy is if you use the battery other than it was intended there is no warranty and I would receive no warranty becuase I said it was for a boat. I told her that it is in fact the required battery for this particular boat but she told me becuase it was a boat and they sold marine batteries it would not receive a warranty.

Now I am not saying I did this but one could go to another Walmart in this scenario and say that you have a 2013 Ford Explorer and it matches to a group 65 battery...
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 1:47pm
Go back another day and pick up the group 65 automotive battery and check out. What they don't know won't hurt them
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 2:00pm
The day I start taking battery advice from walmart employees is the day Pete starts buying all his auto parts from Autozone!

I'd recommend taking the advice presented on this forum and trust that it might be slightly more reliable than your typical big box store clerk.
rrichr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrichr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 2:04pm
It was not advice, it was their policy and becuase they are a big box store their policy does not take into consideration this scenario.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The day I start taking battery advice from walmart employees is the day Pete starts buying all his auto parts from Autozone!

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'd recommend taking the advice presented on this forum and trust that it might be slightly more reliable than your typical big box store clerk.

Absolutely!! You aren't reading the recommendations here and taking a Walmart employee's advice!!! Slightly more reliable???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rrichr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrichr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 2:23pm
By the way, the group 65 fit perfectly and the lid is closed. I did remove the second battery and the switch. Removed a net 100 pounds from the front of the boat and it looks cleaner and starts immediately with no clicking.

Thanks everyone!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by rrichr rrichr wrote:

It was not advice, it was their policy and becuase they are a big box store their policy does not take into consideration this scenario.

Did the "associate" say anything about you needing a deep cycle or a starting battery? If you bought a marine deep cycle and used it for starting, I wonder if that would be against their policy? I wonder if the associate knew the difference??

BTW, Walmart doesn't warranty the battery, the manufacturer does.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 3:50pm
I try to avoid walmart like the plague,but end up buying most of my oil there.The wife and I went there a number of years ago to reprint some pictures,one of them being a wedding picture from over 100+ years ago. Got into a big discussion about copyright laws and ended up walking out mad. Went to Walgreens,the clerk actually helped out. If I recall copyright laws at the time was lifetime +25 years. I can see they need enforce newer professional pictures but if your going to get on your high horse you better know what your talking about. In the end we went and bought our own photo printer so we don't have that trouble again.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 10:08pm
I've been reading the fine print in the USCG boatbuilders guide.

This one caught my eye because a group 65 battery is much smaller than my battery box.

Spacers are recommended!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic