NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator swap

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Spievy79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator swap
    Posted: April-06-2015 at 2:02pm
Hello, I've been a member here for several years. I used to have a 68 mustang which I sold due to having a little one. Since then I went to a pontoon for a year, and that was enough! So I came across an 87 ski supreme Sierra ss with a cuddy cabin. It was a meet in the middle sort of thing with the mrs. So obviously I don't have a correct craft but I have nowhere to turn . To make a long story as short as possible the boat was in awful shape when I bought it. Rotted furniture, carpet,floors,stringers etc. But the motor only had 530 hours so $1700 later I had a project on my hands. I tore it down to a shell, rebuilt all the stringers with a lot of reading on this site, new flooring,upholstery,teak and everything in between. I thought I had done pretty well until mid summer of last year out on the water we heard a knock knock on the water and after tearing down the motor discovered shrapnel on two Pistons that apparently came from the intake casting, one cracked head, and a 3 inch crack in the oil valley along a waster jacket . I was able to find a good used pcm 351w out of an 87 supra with 450 hrs. $500 later I swapped the carb,distributor and a few other whatnots and got it in and running. When I bought the new (used) motor the top tab on the alternator was broken. The alternator is a Motorola 8rg2009a. I have a 3wire I believe delco from my parts motor which is an indmar btw that does work well. So my question is can that alternator work? Upon removing my broken tabbed one I had a yellow, orange and a ground coming off. My parts one had only one coming in and one coming out. I'm guessing it's internally regulated? I know that I could just buy new but I have two working alternators and I was hoping to be able to either fix my broken one or use the other if it's possible. I appreciate any and all knowledge anyone can give me on this. Thanks, Joel
Spievy79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 2:06pm
Btw I had to redo my account on here since I hadn't posted in so long. I've been a member on here since 2008.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 11:50am
According to Tim's wiring diagram, a typical PCM alternator has 3 wires, an exciter, a ground and the output. Of course, this is assuming internally regulated.

So, are they both 3 wire internally regulated alternators?

Here is an alternator wiring image that might also e helpful:

Spievy79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2015 at 1:45am
I ended up just replacing the case and having it rebuilt, I've had enough heartache with everything already, it was worth $60 to not play any guessing games on it. I do appreciate the detailed pics though. As always you guys on here are always so helpful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic