Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2000 Pro air GT 40 not running

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
thecoxshow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecoxshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000 Pro air GT 40 not running
    Posted: June-16-2015 at 11:59am
2 months ago, I uncovered my boat and fired it up for the first time this year. It ran for 30 sec then sputtered and cut off. After a lot of checking, I put a vacuum gauge on the fuel pressure regulator and the boat started running. I figured that the diaphragm must have been stuck. It ran rough for a couple min when I first took it out but it cleared up and has been fine ever since.
This weekend, I tried to take it out and the battery was dead. I jumped it off and it ran for about 30 sec and sputtered and cut off. It would not run at all after that, just turn over. I tried playing with the regulator again and that didn't work. I tested the fuel pressure, and it was at the recommended 39 psi and it dropped to 32 when I put vacuum on the regulator (which I think is correct operation). It has spark, the fuel looks good (no water), and I replaced the fuel filter 2 months ago. I can hear the priming pump running also when I push the start button. I'm kind of stuck now. Any suggestions on where to look now? Thanks in advance.
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 12:51pm
do you see any evidence of fuel in the carb bowls after it dies?
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecoxshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 1:11pm
Its fuel injected. Its a 2000 with a power boss GT 40 351
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 1:18pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecoxshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 4:25pm
I have gone through some of the threads and got some ideas on a few things to try. Thanks for the link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecoxshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2015 at 10:24am
Found the problem. It was bad gas. This was tricky because the gas sample I took looked clean and there was no water. It was just a little cloudy but not bad. After ruling out all other possibilities, I put the feed line and return line into a 5 gal gas tank with new fuel and it ran fine so I guess the gas just died over the winter.
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2015 at 4:00pm
If you put it back together again and have troubles. Check anti siphon valve for a sticky ball, blocked tank vent,and screen on gas pickup clogged.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2015 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by thecoxshow thecoxshow wrote:

I guess the gas just died over the winter.

What brand of fuel stabilizer did you use?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecoxshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2015 at 3:58pm
Stabil marine formula. I also tried a can of SeaFoam to try to clear it up after I found the problem but that didn't work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecoxshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2015 at 4:00pm
yeah, I checked and cleaned those parts when I took the tank out. It is running like new now.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2015 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by thecoxshow thecoxshow wrote:

Stabil marine formula. I also tried a can of SeaFoam to try to clear it up after I found the problem but that didn't work.

There isn't a product made that will completely stop phase seperation or reverse it.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2015 at 12:51pm
I parked my 95 GT40 last year with Premium gas in it.   Forgot to add stabil or sea foam.
This year on the first tank it ran great until I tried to go full throttle where it pinged pretty bad. I just backed off and will wait for the next tank before trying full throttle again.
Today's fuels have no shelf life. After 3 months it is suspect unfortunately.
Glad you figured it out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecoxshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 2:30pm
I agree, when I put it up for the winter this year, I'm going to leave it empty and just dump fresh gas in it next year. I realize that condensation could be an issue, but I'm going to take the risk.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic