Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No spark=No start, need to winterize!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
matcbr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matcbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2015 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Matt,
See if you can try this test. Pull a spark plug and remove it's wire from the distributor. Remove the main wire off the middle of the distributor and plug the spark plug into it. Ground the plug. (a jumper with alligator clips works best). Turn the ignition switch to run and confirm you have 12 volts nominal to the + on the coil. (don't leave it turned on for long periods of time) Remove the - wire off the coil that runs to the distributor and then using another jumper, ground the - side of the coil. When you remove the - jumper, you should get spark at the plug. Report back.

Ok will try first thing tomorrow.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2015 at 7:27pm
Unfortunately, it is usually difficult to revert back to points... The conversion kits tend to come with their own baseplates and the points-specific plate tends to get thrown away. You can't mount the points and condensor without one. I am unaware of a source for the points plate (but would love to know if one exists).

To determine the parts you need in any case, the year of the boat and engine (marinizer) are a good start. Confirming the manufacturer and style of distributor would be helpful too. Pictures go a long ways.
matcbr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matcbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2015 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Unfortunately, it is usually difficult to revert back to points... The conversion kits tend to come with their own baseplates and the points-specific plate tends to get thrown away. You can't mount the points and condensor without one. I am unaware of a source for the points plate (but would love to know if one exists).

To determine the parts you need in any case, the year of the boat and engine (marinizer) are a good start. Confirming the manufacturer and style of distributor would be helpful too. Pictures go a long ways.

I think ill just stick with the EI, I can install a new one myself just need the coil specs.

http://www.nautiqueparts.com/breakerlessignitionkitforprestolitedistributorswithclipdowncap1986andolderprestolitedistributors.aspx

I think thats the exact IE kit i have. Just need to find the coil now.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2015 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by matcbr matcbr wrote:

Why the coil. Did you confirm it's bad? The test I outlined will confirm if the coil is bad or not but, from the voltage tests you got, I sure feel it's the unreliable EI conversion!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
matcbr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matcbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2015 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by matcbr matcbr wrote:

Why the coil. Did you confirm it's bad? The test I outlined will confirm if the coil is bad or not but, from the voltage tests you got, I sure feel it's the unreliable EI conversion!!

I will test it first, just looking for what type of coil i would have to order if it is bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic