Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Normal amt of rust at drain plugs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2015 at 1:07pm
Pete,   Are these the bushings that you recommend?

McMaster-Carr Bushings
Item # 4429k418

3--4921K2 Drain-Handle Brass Stop Cock, Removable Handle, 1/4" NPT Male, Internal Seal $6.85 each     

2--4921K3 Drain-Handle Brass Stop Cock, Removable Handle, 3/8" NPT Male, Internal Seal 7.82 each

2--4429K418 Low-Pressure Brass Threaded Pipe Fitting, 3/4 Male x 3/8 Female Pipe Size, Hex Reducing Bushing 4.33 each     

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2015 at 1:13pm
Hey guys, it's just a drain . . .

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2015 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by malcolm2 malcolm2 wrote:

I have a business account with them. You are correct, their catalog, retail, prices are way up there. It was maybe 8 years ago, so maybe it was not Grainger. But they are nice brass valves and bushings, I also have an account with McMaster & Carr, could have been them.
Clark

Clark,
Not wanting to steer anyone in the wrong direction could you please clarify what type of drain cocks you used. Were they the removable stem or the cheap cocks used typically on radiators? A picture if possible would be fantastic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2015 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by spiralhelix spiralhelix wrote:

Pete,   Are these the bushings that you recommend?

Yup, those are the parts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2015 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Unless you drain often, I don't see the benefit over a plug. Seems like a more complicated mouse trap.

So Bruce, you like to get the wrenches and thread compound out every fall and then fumble with getting the plugs back in? What's complicated with using your hand to tighten up a thumb screw? I have to ask, do you have T handle garboard drain plugs or square heads?

Jeepers, if I can't handle a drain plug I've got no business working on the engine. The drain plugs are hex heads, except for the FE which has little tiny plugs with square heads. Doesn't sound like a bad system if you use your boat late into the season and you have to drain after each use, but once a season, seems unnecessarily complicated, but some people like to put all kinds of gadgets on their engines....
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2015 at 8:17pm
The reason quite a few people install the fancy brass drains, is when the threads in the block and manifolds start to erode to the point where the hex plugs are bottoming out.
The fumbling is about the same with each.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2015 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

The reason quite a few people install the fancy brass drains, is when the threads in the block and manifolds start to erode to the point where the hex plugs are bottoming out.
The fumbling is about the same with each.

Al,
Thanks for bringing that up. I forgot the corrosion of the tapped holes when I was working Bruce over about wrenches, pipe compound and of course the fumbling! I have to disagree with you on the fumbling being about the same. I'm sure you've tried to thread a fitting into a tapped hole that's on an uneven surface like a block before.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2015 at 11:44pm
Someone asked earlier in this thread why the new fitting rides higher than the old fitting in the block. The Tapered pipe thread fittings like those used in the stock block plugs seal on the points of the threads. As these are used time and again the points flatten down and the plug tightens deeper in the block. Eventually a new plug is needed and the new plug will ride high in the hole like the one pictured early in this thread because it has new fresh threads and the points are not flattened down yet. If you have one leaking after you tighten it buy a new plug or use Teflon tape as a band aid till you get a new plug.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2015 at 12:07am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Someone asked earlier in this thread why the new fitting rides higher than the old fitting in the block.

Mark,
I think you had better read up on taper pipe thread tolerances!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2015 at 8:04am
Mark,
Just in case you didn't find the information, here's an sentence explaining the gaps at the major and minor diameters of a NPT thread that you refer to as the "points ot the threads"

From the Engineers Toolbox:
"With NPT threads, after a wrench is applied, slight spaces at the major and minor diameters exist that would allow the assembly to leak and therefore a sealing compound is used to fill any gaps."

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2015 at 2:57pm
So after just pulling the plugs and sticking a screwdriver in the holes at the end of each season for the last 23 years now I have to add drain cocks, bushings, hoses and use teflon tape. I should stop reading threads like these.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2015 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

So after just pulling the plugs and sticking a screwdriver in the holes at the end of each season for the last 23 years now I have to add drain cocks, bushings, hoses and use teflon tape. .

You may want to consider it. After me winterizing for 50 years, I sure appreciate the convenience!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2015 at 11:51am

The manifolds should be 3/4" so you'll need some bushings. I suggest brass and 3/8" drains so you'll need 3/4" x 3/8" bushings.

Pete, does this look like what I need? Looked at some hardware stores this weekend but no luck. Probably just order some.
99 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2015 at 12:17pm
Glen,
Yes, those are brass reducing bushings. Have you ordered the removable stem stop cocks yet? If not, you can order the bushings (link at top of page) at the same time from McMaster.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2015 at 12:24pm
Yeah, I already have them but Ill check their prices too. Thanks.
99 Ski Nautique GT40
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 4:17pm
OK guys. I tried to install the drains yesterday and ran into a few problems. On the exhaust drain, it sticks out so far with the bushing on it that I couldn't get even close to screwing it in because of the exhaust slopping down right behind it. Even if I can get it in, I don't see how I could turn the handle to open the drain? Been trying to upload a pic but having issues. Ill see if I can do it straight from my phone.

In the 1/4 block drains, I couldn't get the threads to catch. I know you guys said new threads will be tighter and it won't go in as far, but It felt like it was not going in straight and was going to screw in at an angle if I forced it. I didn't get too aggressive with it because I didn't want to mess up any threads. Perhaps I didn't give it enough force, but Ive always thought you shouldn't force them avoid messing up the threads. The regular plug catches the threads and goes in easy.
99 Ski Nautique GT40
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 5:53pm
Cumby, I've never seen drain cocks on exhaust manifolds, but this system is common on both Correct Crafts and Malibus. Both manifolds are connected to each other by a hose with a union in the middle for easy disconnect and draining. I'd do this rather than put a drain cock in each manifold if you want to eliminate the plugs.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 6:00pm
Cumby, I should qualify that I've never seen drain cocks on modern manifolds with the big hole at the end. They are common on 1950's and 1960's stuff.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 6:09pm
Glen,
For some reason with pipe threads on brass fittings, it's common for them to run over (male) and under (female) sized. I have always found a need to set the pipe threader to cut undersize threads on male pipe because the female threads in the fittings where under. The same is true with purchased male threaded fittings. I've had to run a tap in and open up the females many times which is what you'll need to do. What compounds the problem on the block or any casting is the rough uneven surface which makes it hard to get the male thread started. Chase the threads cutting 1 full extra thread and see if you can get the drain cocks started.

On your exhaust manifolds, I think I know what the problem is but it's too bad you are having picture problems since that sure would help. I remember someone having a problem with swinging the drain cock because it hit the elbow. He installed brass 45 degree elbows solving it and with the 45 was still able to probe the drain with a wire to get to the sediment. How far is the bushing going into the manifold? That may also be a problem requiring some tapping. Rule of thumb when fitting pipe threads together is you should be able to turn them together 2 to 2&1/2 times by hand before needing the wrench.

It's not a bad idea to chase the old threads anyway to clean them up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Cumby, I should qualify that I've never seen drain cocks on modern manifolds with the big hole at the end. They are common on 1950's and 1960's stuff.

Bruce,
Of course you haven't since he is adding them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 7:03pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
poz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 8:00pm
I have owned four used inboard boats. Three of them had problems with the drain plugs. Two of them had rounded drain plugs and one I Had to remove with a bolt extractor. The other one the threads were so loose in the block the plug bottomed out so I installed the cheep radiator drains and used some locktite on the threads. I wonder if this problem isn't a combination of corrosion and over torque. I sure like the drains that you guys show from McMaster Carr. I am thinking these drains would save the threads on a lot of boat engines water drains. Another thing I have found that Whink will remove those rust stains on your carpet.
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 10:23pm

How far is the bushing going into the manifold? That may also be a problem requiring some tapping. Rule of thumb when fitting pipe threads together is you should be able to turn them together 2 to 2&1/2 times by hand before needing the wrench.

It's not a bad idea to chase the old threads anyway to clean them up.

Not going in far at all. Probably not even one full turn by hand. I was a little nervous about chasing the threads, because it didn't feel like the tap was going in smoothly and I didnt want to force it and mess the threads up. Sounds like thats what I need to do though,
99 Ski Nautique GT40
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 10:24pm
That looks like it would work. I will try to post the picture from work tomorrow and see if I have any more luck from my PC.
99 Ski Nautique GT40
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 11:31am
Here we go.

99 Ski Nautique GT40
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 11:39am
How about taking it apart and installing it in pieces,thread in the reduction bushing first, remove the T from the drain,install it's body,then put the T back in?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

How about taking it apart and installing it in pieces,thread in the reduction bushing first, remove the T from the drain,install it's body,then put the T back in?

Tried that. If you look at the pic the bushing is not flush with the opening...it's tilted down a bit so it would have to go even higher than where I'm holding it. I think the only possibility is to try the angled pieces Pete posted.
99 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 12:02pm
The bushing sure has to go deeper into the manifold and then with the 45 it would work however, it looks like that would require the glass exhaust tube to be removed. That must have been what the member I mentioned did to install his.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 12:20pm
With the amount and size of rust and scale I tend to get out of my cast iron manifolds, I would have the same concerns with the massively stepped down drain of Pete's as the quick drains from SkiDIM that he dislikes so much, ha. Both seem to be bad ideas to me. They're probably fine on the block drains though, those seem to get plugged up with much smaller sediment and could be probed effectively through the smaller orifice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic