NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

excel/barefoot engine rebuild rotation

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 12:13pm
Where is Karras??? I'm no v-drive expert but I'm not following Riley.

v-drive boats still have transmissions

The 89-94 PCM BBCs remained RH. Yes, the 454 HOs were LH but those only appeared in the mid 80s.

The small block Ford powered Excels were LH with reduction/reversing transmissions and RH props. (this is contrary to what Riley is saying?). If he's right the LH fords had NON-reversing transmissions and let the v-drive unit do that. This is where I don't believe Riley is correct.

I'm not sure the PCM reduction/reversing trans was able to fit in the Excel OR that PCM wasn't buildind LH big blocks, but probably the latter.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 12:16pm
Were the 454 HO boats LH props or did they have a reduction transmission?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 12:22pm
RH engine and RH prop I do know that. I thought the {RH} big blocks just had 1:1 velvet drives and then reduction in the V on the order of 1.2-1.5.

Seems like the [LH] Fords then would have the regular old reduction/reversing trans as the DDs and then a different v-drive, possibly not reducing.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 12:47pm
I'm only aware of BFN's running 1:1 transmissions with RH rotation engines and props. You must be talking about the newer VDrive BFNs?   I never knew the HO engines were LH, but if they were in a DD, they must have had a reduction transmission?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 12:54pm
Bruce you are all over the map.

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I'm only aware of BFN's running 1:1 transmissions with RH rotation engines and props. You must be talking about the newer VDrive BFNs?

Uh yes, this whole thread is about the v-drive BFN (Excel) isn't it?

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I never knew the HO engines were LH, but if they were in a DD, they must have had a reduction transmission?

No.
454 HO = LH 425hp, available in early-mid 80's 2001 Ski Nautiques. 1:1 velvet drive, LH prop. GottaSki has some first hand experience with them.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 1:17pm
Gotcha. You said mid 80's HOs were LH so I was thinking there were some LH BFNs out there that came from CC that way and I had never heard of that. I'll get back to work...
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 1:18pm
Karras was travelin' - enjoying the Midwest.......

but you don't need the Excel boys on this post. Hollywood's got it covered.

I thought I saw Rod sent a PM (he's torn into these 454 Excels and prolly will help him with parts too).

The Excel 454s are counter rotation firing with standard rotation camshafts (don't ask me how I know - BTW, thanks to Performance Distributors for incredible return service! )
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 1:18pm
I haven't seen or heard of any 454 HOs after 1986.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 1:21pm
Pretty sure all the 330hp 454s were gear-to-gear crank-cam instead of the typical chain drive setup. So, a RH crank turns an LH cam with an RH firing order. Pretty unique...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 1:26pm
I have a RH 351w out of a '91 Excel so some of the above info is incorrect. Not sure if there was a change along the excels run where LH small blocks were used to turn RH props (like the super sport that followed).

I can think of a few reasons why you wouldn't want a reduction trans in front of a v-drive, space and strength being big ones- you'd have to build a stronger v-drive box of it had a torque multiplier in front of it. Probably why all ski boat v-drives have 1:1 trans and put all the reduction in the v-drive box.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 1:29pm
Ah Tim, that's just like standards . RH engine 1:1 PCM and RH prop. Nothing new there, simply there's also a v-drive along for the ride.

Seems like the 454 [DD BFNs + Excels] get velvet drives throughout their run. I haven't seen any documentation otherwise.

240 hp Excel has to be quite the dog!
dave12gauge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave12gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 1:33pm
I thought I (the shop for $500, I'm planning on resealing it anyways and he is going to check the clutches) could rebuild the Velvet drive model 10-18-002 ratio 1:1 also know as the 72c, so that full power would match a rebuilt standard rotation engine?

Does anybody know how much rotation torque of a Chevy 454 BBC would cause to the hull? If its major than I will build the engine like it came from the factory (reverse rotation). But if you guys say maybe 3% "worse" than maybe I would build the engine standard rotation. I will continue to run the stock rotation prop which is a RH prop.

My distributor would remain because BBC turn the cam in the same direction in a standard or reverse engine. Alternator, circulation pump, and water pump don't care which way they turn. So I think its only the starter that would need to get rebuilt.

My head is spinning, not sure which way though, standard, reverse, automotive RH, automotive LH, marine backwards, I know upside-down. When I'm pulling the motor today, I hope I still remember "lefty loosy, righty tighty".
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Pretty sure all the 330hp 454s were gear-to-gear crank-cam instead of the typical chain drive setup. So, a RH crank turns an LH cam with an RH firing order. Pretty unique...

As far as I've been able to tell, this set up was common to all rev rotation chevies with flat tappet cams from the early 70's thru mid 90's. Possibly more. Not unique to big blocks or Pcm's. I would be careful with terminology as well... Calling them a "LH cam" is a bit misleading as the snout and FO are unique to a RH engine. It's still a reverse rotation cam in that it's made for reverse rotation engines. "Standard rotation reverse fire" is the correct term.

LH used the standard chain timing sets. Reason for the HO's being LH only was the lack of availability on RH roller cams.

Sorry for the detour.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

240 hp Excel has to be quite the dog!

It is - drives and accelerates like a dump truck...... the 351HO is where it's at for Excels. Best weight / power ratios. ......but when I dream at night, it's of 6 Liters in Excels....
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by dave12gauge dave12gauge wrote:

I thought I (the shop for $500, I'm planning on resealing it anyways and he is going to check the clutches) could rebuild the Velvet drive model 10-18-002 ratio 1:1 also know as the 72c, so that full power would match a rebuilt standard rotation engine?

Tim's comment on "full power reverse" was technically correct but didn't quite answer your question earlier. You just have to index the pump for which direction is forward. So yes, a velvet drive can be setup for LH or RH easily. To Tim's point, don't go WOT in reverse. You'll burn up the trans.

Originally posted by dave12gauge dave12gauge wrote:

Does anybody know how much rotation torque of a Chevy 454 BBC would cause to the hull? If its major than I will build the engine like it came from the factory (reverse rotation). But if you guys say maybe 3% "worse" than maybe I would build the engine standard rotation. I will continue to run the stock rotation prop which is a RH prop.

With your transmission and v-drive you cannot rebuild your engine to LH and use a RH prop.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 2:15pm
So there are RH 351 HOs. Randy has one (I removed his name from my post above) as well as TX Foilhead. Safe to say all Excels got RH engines and 1:1 velvet drives.

dave12gauge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave12gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2016 at 3:09am
[/quote]
With your transmission and v-drive you cannot rebuild your engine to LH and use a RH prop. [/QUOTE]

Duh, now I get it. Will build engine correctly. Just to be clear, the cam is/is not an off the shelf part? Its a normal rotation- reverse firing order?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2016 at 11:43am
Correct. For what you're doing, save some money and reuse the stock cam.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2016 at 11:50am
some older CCF cam talk
RH 454
454 Rev Rpt/ Camshaft
good summary here
BBC Reverse Rotation Cams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic