Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ballast resister,PCM breakerless Prestolite Dist.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ballast resister,PCM breakerless Prestolite Dist.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TallTex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ballast resister,PCM breakerless Prestolite Dist.
    Posted: September-04-2016 at 4:44pm
Looking for resistance specs for pre-coil ballast resistor;
same for the coil

Thank you if you know these or can point me to a chart/table in on of the online manuals
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 5:30pm
What year boat/motor/ignition system are you asking about? Also, is it stock or modified?
TallTex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 6:37pm
Hi, thank you. OEM. I think I learned it does not have one. Likes full 12 volts and a low resistance coil. PCM Prestolite breakerless induction distributor is on a 99 SNOB, 5.8
Found a great test manual/procedure by Indmar for same distributor. I am following those steps for now. Thanks again.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 7:00pm
damnit. I measured the 87 PCM 351 in my garage and the ballast resistor came in at 1.8 ohm (loose terminal) and the coil was 1.7 kind of as expected. A stock 88 coil I measured over the summer was 1.6. I was feeling like KenO for a moment.

I was far too lazy to uncover my 88 and check it, and was supposed to ski tonight behind a few more late 80s CCs but the rain isn't going to allow it.

I can't think of anyone here with a late 90s carb boat at the moment.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

damnit. I measured the 87 PCM 351 in my garage and the ballast resistor came in at 1.8 ohm (loose terminal) and the coil was 1.7 kind of as expected. A stock 88 coil I measured over the summer was 1.6. I was feeling like KenO for a moment.

Attaboy Hollywood

You're much better looking though

If you really want to feel like me, you have to cut a coil apart to see what's inside

I have pictures of the inside of one, I think I put them here on CCF. I'll have to look for them.

For Tall Tex you should put a link to your find for the rest of the world to see and learn from

It might look like the one below
Bake's online 302/351 ignition
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 8:39pm
Call Vince at Discount Inboard Marine. I'm sure he knows. He told me to look for 1.8 on my 93, if I recall correctly. They are the best customer service I've ever had anywhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic