NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage drop/leak to + side of coil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TallTex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage drop/leak to + side of coil
    Posted: September-09-2016 at 12:43am
99 SN. Fixed the no volts to system issue by replacing 50amp circuit breaker. However, still chasing a poltergeist...

Prestolite Electronic Breakerless Distributor.
Primary system voltage drop test shows mine is dropping or leaking 2.5-3.0 volts from battery to + side of coil. (suppose to be 1-volt or less drop) mine is 9-10 volts at +coil terminal. So I have been R & R battery cables, wires, connections, flexing, moving wiring, etc trying to observe any fluctuation or upside in voltmeter. Batt cables, ignition switch, starter relay, Stumped the chump.

Does anyone know normal specs of resistance for:
batt cable
ignition switch
starter relay
dash volt meter

Thank you.
TallTex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2016 at 11:27am
FYI: I may have discovered my mistake after watching youtube video by "Schrodingers Box", to correctly ID voltage drop, the system must be under the load, not static or "capped" off as Schrodingers video shows or you miss finding real problem and just replacing parts that do not need replacement. (relay, starter, etc.). Now back to the drawing board but with a better understanding of where,what, why to test.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2016 at 11:58am
You can check for voltage drop without a full load. It just won't be as great. Voltage loss is directly proportional to current flow. Sounds like you have a high resistance connection somewhere.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2016 at 3:39pm
Maybe rig a constant (reasonable) load for test. Then use an IR thermometer & look for what is getting hot. Just another path . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic