Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Two thermostats?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two thermostats?
    Posted: August-20-2017 at 3:46pm
Doing a bit of maintenance and had a slight leak at a hose clamp on the engine water pump(no big deal). Pull off the hose and found that in the thermostat housing there are two t-stats. Now I know that this engine only is supposed to have only one. It's location is in the upper portion of the housing held in by an o ring. This second t-stat is mounted at the base of the housing which you would find in a typical intake manifold to thermostat application. Why would someone do this? I have been running a bit hot(about 180). I think I'll remove it and change the correct one while I'm in there. Motor is the original Omc 350,260 hp. Any thoughts? Thanks,Steve
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2017 at 5:00pm
Why do people do a lot of things?

I'll answer that , bcause they don't know what they're doing or they're too smart to read a manual

I'd figure somebody before you was having issues, popped the housing off of the manifold and their question was "why don't I have a thermostat in here?"

So using his automotive know how he put one in there and never knew the marine thermostat housing had it in a different spot and ended up with 2 thermostats.

That's my guess
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2017 at 7:23pm
Yeah there's a bunch of em out there.Changed t-stat out and ran it on the fake a lake.Gets to about 170 and the manifolds are cool. Not lake conditions but so far I'm ok with it. Next weekend!
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic