Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Wheel Alignment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
goligmj View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goligmj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Wheel Alignment
    Posted: June-07-2004 at 11:19am
Hi,

My Steering wheel is not in alignment (i.e. is not straight when the rudder is straight)is there a why to correct this?

Thanks

Mike
Ryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2004 at 12:28pm
You didn't list the year or model of your boat in your profile, so I dont know what you are working with. On most of the nautiques made in the last 2O years, a quick fix is to line the rudder up, pull off the steering wheel, and reattach it so that it is in alignment. I had to do this on the 98 Super sport last year after replacing the steering cable.
Get me in the water!
thevogt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thevogt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2004 at 6:24pm
Another remedy, at least on my '93 Sport, was to loosen the 4 rack retaining bolts under the dash and move the wheel. Lift the rack away from the wheel shaft just enough to disconnect the rack gear. Worked for me. Just another method-no better, no worse.

Gary
'93 Sport Nautique-351 ProBoss-104 hrs as of 5/15/04 (shame on me)
goligmj View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goligmj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2004 at 1:31am
Thanks for the replys,

My boat is a 1988 SN, I pulled the steering wheel but found out that it has a key way that won't allow the wheel to be mounted any other way....

I am not sure about pulling the rack as Gary suggested... Could you pleas give me a little more detail and is my rack the same as a 1993?

Mike
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2004 at 1:03pm
If you have your rudder straight when you start the engine you will already be turning right. Keep in mind that the torque of the prop means that the rudder must be turned somewhat to the left to go straight. As a result the wheel may be straight when you are underway. I'd try it first.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic