NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

check fuel pressure

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: check fuel pressure
    Posted: August-31-2020 at 11:21am
This is probably a stupid question for the guys that know what they are doing...
I want to check fuel pressure and borrowed a gauge but there is no instructions, The gauge only has one connection and I'm not sure where to connect.
Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2020 at 11:25am
John,
One of these in the output of the pump works great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2020 at 11:43am
That looks permanent; this gauge is about as big as a softball maybe a little bigger and also checks vacumn.
Can I just use a tee in fuel line and then remove?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2020 at 12:56pm
John,
What is screwed together can always be unscrewed. Big smile Your gauge most likely has a rubber hose on it? If so, you just put a barb hose fitting in the tee. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 8:05am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
One of these in the output of the pump works great.

One of those little voices in my head says he'll need more fittings than just this one and/or he'll be bending some metal fuel line to be able to make it work assuming he's using the "Pete approved" metal line.

What are the threads on each of the legs of that fitting?

Got a part number from somewhere?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 10:43am
John,
Did I miss something? Why do you what to check the fuel pressure? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 12:34pm
Had trouble with idle and the Holley tech said I had rebuilt with the wrong kit and after I rebuild again to check pressure as the motor is almost 40 ... years old.
Better safe than sorry I guess.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 10:28pm
Here is the tester . The small tube came with the kit, the big one is the fuel line in boat, The hole is much bigger, how to hook up. The small one fits the gauge if that helps.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2020 at 5:46am
John,
Do you have rubber hose from the pump to the carb?  Are the pipe threads on the pump 1/8" or 1/4" going to the carb?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2020 at 8:59am

John,
Do you have rubber hose from the pump to the carb? YES
 Are the pipe threads on the pump 1/8" or 1/4" going to the carb? 1/4
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2020 at 10:25am
JT

Looks like a Harbor Freight kit

The barbed fitting on the gauge is for 1/4 inch tubing, your hose is most likely 3/8 ID hose so if you got a tee like what's in the link, you could tee into the line you have or get another piece of 3/8 line, so you're not cutting into what might or might not be USCG approved rubber fuel line.

The tee, some hose clamps and you'll be reading your fuel pressure.

I linked Pete's favorite parts establishment, but you can find Dorman stuff at about any car parts outfit Wink

link
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2020 at 10:34am

John,
Do you have rubber hose from the pump to the carb?
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

YES

John, Are the pipe threads on the pump 1/8" or 1/4" going to the carb?

1/4

John,
You will need a tee pipe fitting ether 1/8 0r 1/4. Then two threaded barb fittings matching the ID of the fuel hose going to the carb. You screw them into the tee  One more barbed fitting in the tee matching the hose ID for the gauge. This fitting is in your gauge kit.

I'd also like to mention that the hose between the pump and carb must be A1 type and teminated at both ends on barbed fittings to meet USCG regs. It can NOT be simply pushed over straight pipe and clamped. Post a picture of the hose please. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2020 at 10:55am
I'd also like to mention that the hose between the pump and carb must be A1 type and teminated at both ends on barbed fittings to meet USCG regs. It can NOT be simply pushed over straight pipe and clamped. Post a picture of the hose please. 
[/QUOTE]

oops
Is there a problem with clamps? I use 2 per end.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2020 at 12:03pm

oops
Is there a problem with clamps? I use 2 per end.

[/QUOTE]
John,
No problem with clamps. It's the fitting the hose goes on.Are they barbed fittings? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2020 at 12:54pm

Fuel pressure gauge in the fuel log for Quick Fuel setup.  Always nice to know the fuel pressure BUT rebuilding carb will not change the incoming fuel pressure.  The pump puts out what the pump puts out period.   Your HF gauge will work if tee'd into the incoming fuel line for temporary diagnosing Tongue
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic