Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1986 BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
LennyBoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2024 at 7:02am
On different subject, does anyone have any expierience with installing an aftermarkt fuel tank?
Can't find an original in the EU, so will probably go for a polyethylene tank because they relatively cheap.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2024 at 8:32am
Originally posted by LennyBoat LennyBoat wrote:

so we can make stickers/paint it back after painting the hull's base colour:
My take on this: after having gone through the whole process of sanding (different grits), buffing and polishing mine, only to have the red go dull again after two summers, I decided to have the red stripe on mine stickered. 
Zeven years later, it is still shiny red as it should be. And, at five yards away, you can't see if it's gelcoat or a sticker.

Originally posted by LennyBoat LennyBoat wrote:

On different subject, does anyone have any expierience with installing an aftermarkt fuel tank?
Can't find an original in the EU, so will probably go for a polyethylene tank because they relatively cheap.
Contact Jo. We have a tank from a later model SN laying around. Take measurements to see if it could fit...
Maybe you can arrange a deal with Jo. I'll let him know later today.

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

LennyBoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2024 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Contact Jo. We have a tank from a later model SN laying around. Take measurements to see if it could fit...
Maybe you can arrange a deal with Jo. I'll let him know later today.

If that fits, that would be amazing. I'm sending him a message right now!
LennyBoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2024 at 12:26pm
Small Update:
Progress has slowed down a bit over the past weeks as we're trying to figure out how to proceed.
I've been reading up on a dash rewire, but as I've never seen the dash and wire loom as it was installed it gets a bit confusing. I'm a bit lost if I should up the wire size for all wires in the instrument cluster or only the ones leading from the battery to the daisy chain. reading a lot about adding extra power and negative wire to the wire loom, just not really sure where to? Anyways, I'm guessing that a lot of things will become clearer when we start working on it.

Not sure what happend to the shaft strut, but the 2 bearing set screws were missing the heads. I drilled a small hole in one and tried removing it with a screw remover, which broke off inside of the screw so I had to drill them out completely to remove the shaft bearing. Bearing needed a lot of convincing to be removed so I used a hand saw to almost cut through the bearing from the inside. With some gentle force everything came out.

The paint on the throttle lever body was quite crusty, so I stripped the old paint, put some coats of primer on it and some coats of black paint.

Also, this morning i received some fresh parts for the engine Cool

LennyBoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2024 at 12:28pm
Kristof,

Thanks for the insight on the sticker, we'll probably go that way as well.Thumbs Up

The fuel tank turned out to be to large, so i'm looking for a suitable replacement.
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2024 at 2:19pm
I'm assuming you pulled the instrument cluster out of the dash.  Put up a picture of the back of your instrument cluster.  I rebuilt my 86 nautique cluster wiring and i've got pictures.  If it looks the same, I can send you what mine looked like finished and some info on how I went about it.

Andrew
Builder
LennyBoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2024 at 3:04am
Hi Andrew,

Many thanks in advance.
As far as I know, the dash wiring should (mostly) be the same between the SN & the BFN.
We bought the boat already disassembled , which is what makes some parts a bit more complicated. herewith the view of the dash/cluster (VDO gauges) as it is:

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2024 at 10:52am
I just rewired my dash in my 93SN.  If you haven't seen the thread, take a look.  I tried to put some good pics in there.  It is current;y on page two and is called, newtome93SkiNautique.  Good luck.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2024 at 4:38pm
Wow, that's in pieces.  Front of your dash looks like mine, so they should be pretty close or the same.

First picture is the back of the dash before I rewired it.  Note there are some repaired wires on the before picture, done when I was replacing the RPM gauge, anything I repaired has marine grade heat shrink terminal connectors.  Most of the old connectors are dark blue.  

Second picture is after it's rewired.  The coiled up wires next to the two terminal blocks will connect to the old power wires under the bow.  I added watertight terminals that I can disconnect to the ends so I can pull the dash without cutting anything if I need to pull it again.  I have to stick my head up under the bow and check where I landed them but I think I ran an additional ground from the engine and a power wire from the solenoid to the dash because the wires supplying power and ground that are part of the old system are too small gauge wise. Good ratchet crimpers are a must for doing this neatly, just FYI.  

I can get some pictures of the back of the rewired dash installed if needed.  Boat is currently under my back deck at the tail end of stringer replacement.  Let me know.

Builder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2024 at 4:46pm
Resolution looks better on my computer than it is after I uploaded the pictures.  PM me and I can email you the pictures, might be able to follow the wiring better.
Builder
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2024 at 7:05pm
Lenny

Since I don't see any mention of dash wiring diagrams, I thought I'd mention that there's a wiring diagram listed as an 86 in the CCF Reference section under manuals.

It was drawn in August  84 so it would be for an 85 you'd think, and carry over to 86.

There are 2 versions shown one for VDO gauges like yours and another for Teleflex gauges

It'll help you keep it "color correct" with the wiring   Wink
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2024 at 3:03am
Lenny,

What KENO said. 

The wiring diagrams in the Reference Section helped me solve some problems on my dash.
For good measure here's the link: '86 Wiring diagram

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2024 at 8:58am
Didn't know there were different wiring for the VDO vs Teleflex.  My gauges are VDO.
Builder
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2024 at 12:43pm
The only real difference is the terminal connection locations on the back of the gauges and wiring hookup to the gauges.

VDO had spade type connectors

Teleflex had studs with nuts
LennyBoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2024 at 8:29am
Thank you all for your input. We started the rewire and in the end it isn't as intimidating as it seemed.
We just needed a little nudge to start and i'm guessing we'll be done by the end of this week.
I'll double check our work with Andrews picture to make sure we dind't make any mistakes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic