Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drain plug

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drain plug
    Posted: January-22-2024 at 6:46am
My boat currently has a non-standard drain plug fitted that I want to replace. I take it that this is the standard/OEM drain plug:

I'm also considering this lock nut style plug from Perko:

Any pro's and con's to consider between the two different styles? Or is it purely down to personal preference?

Thanks!

Wilhelm

1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2024 at 1:08pm
Since you asked this question a couple of years ago, I guess your transom style drain installed with the flange on the inside hasn't fallen apart yet Wink 

Old thread in the link below

If it's in there and sealed good and you're worried about your mounting  screws pulling out of the fiberglass (I'm guessing they're wood type screws, screwed into the fiberglass  and not a through bolted setup) why not just remove the screws, drill the holes all the way through and use something like Stainless Steel panhead, round head or button head type machine screws with washers and nylock nuts on the inside, all sealed with your favorite sealer.

It won't fall out due to water pressure like you're worrying about in the previous thread or from screws pulling out.

Otherwise I'd say it would be a personal preference type thing if you're replacing the whole thing

Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2024 at 2:30pm
Thanks Ken. Your memory/ability to dig stuff up is astonishing.

Things have indeed held up without any problems in the two years since that last thread of mine. I do notice a bit of movement of the flange when at times I unscrew the drain plug after it's been screwed in very tightly. So I do want to re-bed/secure the fitting properly to put my mind at ease. Also, the current drain is 1/2" NPT, not the factory 3/4" NPT. I installed a drain hose for the oil sump some time ago. The smallest hose that would do the job does not fit through the 1/2" NPT hole, but should fit through the 3/4" NPT hole - which would make the job of changing oil somewhat easier. So I'll probably replace the current drain regardless of concerns about leaks etc.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2024 at 4:59pm
I suppose that if you go with the original style, all the holes are already there, maybe the bolt holes are full of sealer etc that needs to be dug out, but you wouldn't be making any new holes..........and you could do the MrMcD cut like referenced in the thread from a couple of years ago, if you want to drain the maximum amount of water out.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2024 at 9:17pm
The modified drain plug in my 95 Ski Nautique is still working and does not leak at all.   I think this was from 2015 or 2016?   I bet if the screws and flange were bedded with 5200 the drain would be firm till the boat falls apart around it.   That stuff is pretty tough and easy to use on install.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic