Forums
NautiqueParts.com2025 Calendar Photos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting '78 Ski Tique running after 5 years

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
thegadgetguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegadgetguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting '78 Ski Tique running after 5 years
    Posted: October-14-2024 at 11:27pm
Hi all,

Working on getting the family heirloom '78 Ski Tique running again.  It hasn't been out for a season in about 5 years now.  It has the Ford 302, with what i believe is the 4 barrel carburetor.

Planning to replace:
Anything else I should consider replacing to get it running reliably?

One issue I've already run into - it doesn't seem to be getting fuel to the carb.  When I turn the engine over with the supply line to the carb disconnected, no fuel comes out.  Does the system need to be primed or something?  I'll already have to pull the system partially apart to replace the fuel filter.  There's no pump in the tank, right?  Just the mechanical one on the engine?

I think the starter solenoid my also have died while I was messing with the fuel pump, so there's another thing to try and figure out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Photo from 11 years ago:

'78 Tique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2024 at 8:26am
I'll guess that since you already ordered the fuel filter and impeller, you had some numbers already written down from sometime over the years.

That Jabsco impeller number makes me think that you have a Commander 302 Ford and not a PCM 302 Ford in the boat.

Distributor tune up kit looks right, make sure you get the 10% discount using code PND

Your carburetor probably needs some attention like you're thinking after sitting for 5 years.

If you get the list number from the carburetor it'll help you get the right kit for it

Here's a picture of where to find the list number

You probably have a 450 cfm carburetor and with the list number you can figure out what it had originally for jets and power valve etc.

Here's a link to your thread from 2016 with some questionable info on power valves and main jets. Your 450 cfm carburetor most likely came with an 8.5 power valve but like mentioned, the list number will make it easy to look up power valve and jet sizes.

As far as not drawing fuel, if you prime the carburetor with a couple squirts of gas down the primaries, the engine should kick over and the fuel pump will suck a lot better. You'll have to do this a few times especially after changing the fuel filter.

like you said......no pump in the tank, just the engine mounted mechanical pump

There could be other reasons for not pumping, but this is a good place to start.

A picture of the engine from the passenger seat area would help figure out what you have and a closeup of the air horn will show the list number Wink 
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2024 at 11:27am
A recommendation from the peanut gallery, try to get the boat running as it sits before messing with both fuel and spark.  Once you have it running (even if it is running poorly), change/tune one of them at a time...probably fuel first.  I'd bet that the distributor will work to fire up.  Once running, a distributor tune up would be great.  Same with the carb.  Just my $.02  Changing all the rest is great to start (oil, batt, fuel filter, plugs, etc).  I would want fresh gas too if 5yrs old.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
thegadgetguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegadgetguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2024 at 6:32pm
Yes, it is the Commander 302.  We had an old box for the impeller, and I was able to find a chart online that cross referenced the fuel filter model from the part number on the side of the fram filter housing.  Hopefully it is accurate.

That would be great KENO if you can help spec out the right carb rebuild kit.  Getting the wrong kit last time caused us quite a bit of trouble, as your digging in the archives turned up Smile

The Carburetor says:
D4JL-9510-F
LIST-7159

I will look into draining the tank and disposing of the fuel.

I pulled the starter solenoid out and am going to bench test it to see if it's working or not.  It is a Motorcraft D2AF-11450-AA for reference.

'78 Tique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2024 at 6:53pm
Nice boat, hope it runs again soon.
5 year old gas will have turned into a gel like substance.  If you run the engine on that stuff it will cause many issues if it starts at all.  As it trys to burn it turns into a sticky substance, this will stick to the pistons and valves and can cause the valves to stick in the heads forcing you to do a valve job.  Best to remove the old fuel and dispose of it before it does damage.   
If you speak to any Automotive Machine shop they will tell you horror stories about old gas damage.
Best of luck with the project.
Mark
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2024 at 7:26pm
Your carburetor renew kit from Holley is a 703-33. It's a pricey little thing.

That's from a Holley numerical carburetor list from quite a few years ago

It's in the link below so you can find all the other info too. Just look for the R7159  line  Wink

I'm not sure what you get for a power valve with the kit, since it fits a number of carburetors. 

There's a good chance it won't be an 8'5 like the original.

You might want to buy an 8.5 when you get the kit to save making another order if what's in the kit is way off from the 8.5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic