Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do my plugs say?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 4:16am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Watch out!! There are shops out there that may not be truthfull. They would rather sell you a total rebuild when it only needs a valve job. Worse yet is a re power! Definately get someone else to do a compression test even if you do get a answer for the first shop.

Just to be clear here--the boat shop said the compression was low, and that it was running rich, but they also said the engine itself should be fine. The mechanic told me it could last a long time. They didn't try and sell me a rebuild, a valve job, or anything else of the sort.

I am going to the lake in the morning. I may try and do a new, complete compression test afterwards

Jared

/hoping the boat shop was right.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 6:57am
Originally posted by sjpitts sjpitts wrote:

Just to be clear here--the boat shop said the compression was low, and that it was running rich, but they also said the engine itself should be fine. The mechanic told me it could last a long time. They didn't try and sell me a rebuild, a valve job, or anything else of the sort.

Are we talking about the same boat here? In one of your earlier posts you said that one of the cylinders was down to 20 PSI on the compression. That's a serious mechanical issue with the engine. Are you saying that the same mechanic that knows this also told you that the "engine itself should be fine". If this is true, this person CANNOT be trusted. Take it to another mechanic for another compression test if you don't know how to do one. Didn't you say that you live in the Phoenix area? I'm in Tempe and the offer still stands if you would like help with this thing. Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 2:48am
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

Are we talking about the same boat here? In one of your earlier posts you said that one of the cylinders was down to 20 PSI on the compression. That's a serious mechanical issue with the engine. Are you saying that the same mechanic that knows this also told you that the "engine itself should be fine". If this is true, this person CANNOT be trusted. Take it to another mechanic for another compression test if you don't know how to do one. Didn't you say that you live in the Phoenix area? I'm in Tempe and the offer still stands if you would like help with this thing. Brian

This is the same boat. To clarify, they did two compression tests. The first gave a reading of 20lbs in one cylinder, but they said it could be rust on a cylinder wall, so they said they would first run it for a while and then do another compression test. They did, and said the compression "came up" so it probably was rust.

They never told me what the final compression was, or how much it came up. They just said that there was a decent chance the motor would last a while. And it has lasted 15 months with 50 hours of use since then.

Rust on the cylinder wall actually makes some sense, as the guys on this forum pointed out that the manifold/riser gasket on that side was stained from leaking, and then I saw actual water coming out of that same gasket.

I am Mesa, brown road/gilbert road area. I would love some help sometime. As I said, my next task to learn how to do my own compression test, checking to see what my compression is now, and if it is a valve or ring problem. I could also use some help figuring out why it is running rich.

How do you feel about early morning lake trips? We usually leave for Sag at 4:30 AM, and are home by 8:30 AM. We go on some saturdays, but prefer weekdays.

Jared
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 6:46am
Jared, I'd be glad to go with you to Saquaro in the early morn. I go sometimes on Mondays and Tuesdays. I got your email with your phone number. This weekend I'm going to Rocky Point with my girlfriend and her family. We will be there thru next Tuesday. So we will have to make it the weekend after. When was the last time you had your boat out and how did it run? Anyway, I'll give you a call next week (probably Tues) and we'll go from there. Take care! Brian.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic