Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water In the Cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mike View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water In the Cylinder
    Posted: August-24-2004 at 2:16am
I need dianostic help. I just had a new Holley 4160 installed on my 351w to resolve a warm start issue. Fired it off immediately and the boat idled great. Took it out on the water and heard several stack fires or back fires (never heard either on the boat before so not sure which). Boat quit at 1100+ RPM in neutral and wouldn't restart. Removed the plugs and discovered water in the 2nd to last plug on the starboard side. Replaced plug turned it over - more water. Removed plug and watched it spit water. Thoughts?

Notes: 79 Nautique; 351w; Holley 4160; electronic ignition
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2004 at 12:14pm
No good thoughts. Sounds like the exhaust mainfold or head gasket is shot.
882001 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2004 at 1:37pm
are there rust trails or water running down the exhaust manifold where the lower meets the upper? is it a salt water boat?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2004 at 12:54pm
Does not sound good. Replacing the carburetor would not have caused the problems you are outlining. Backfiring through the carburetor usually means that the timing is 180 degrees out of phase or you are trying to start the engine backwards. Water in the cylinder usually means either a cracked cylinder head, a bad head gasket or an internally cracked exhaust manifold. If the cylinder accumulated significant amounts of water and you attempted to start the engine, you may have bent a connecting rod.

I suggest you check all items listed above. If you did not touch the distributor, I would focus on the head. Pull the exhaust manifold, cylinder head and see what is going on. Check for a bent rod by carefully comparing the piston travel relative the others.

After reassembly and before starting, put the #1 cylinder at top dead center (compression strock) and make sure the distributor rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic