NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

putting in depth sounder need help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
85Nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: putting in depth sounder need help
    Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:04pm
So I am getting ready to put in a depth sounder from hummingbird that replaces the clock but I was not sure which way is best to give it power should I do it off the ignition button fuse/ breaker or one of the other button fuse/breaker I have a 85 ski nautique
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:29pm
85Nautique, I installed one on my 88 and I used one of the spare breaker/switches. This way I can turn it on or off as needed. Not sure if your 85 has a spare?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:35pm
Wire it inline with the ign. switch,that way you don't have a dummy moment .Whoops left the sounder on for the last week and the battery is stone dead.Can't ski nor cruise,besides the D/S only is used when the motor is running or you are under power..............boat dr

do not create a problem...
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:42pm
I put mine on in line with the ignition switch.Its the best way,and boat dr is correct you don't want a mistake.If it has a thru the hull transmitter you may find a hard place to mount it.I tried it on my 78CC Mustang and always got erratic readings and I tried multiple places.Finally I had to mount it on the outside by the exhaust and have never had a problem.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:54pm
You guys are awesome thank you I‘ll it out this weekend I am going to duck tape the transducer in place before I epoxy it. I try the Ignition switch/ button

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:58pm
I guess I should clairfy, we boat on the river and sometimes like to drift and swim. It is a river with an original stream that was damed up so there is a big difference between the old channel and the flooded new area so the depths are alot shallower in the new areas. I leave the sounder on all the time while swimming just so we know what depth we are swimming in. Thats why I like to be able to turn it on without the ignition.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 3:01pm
85, fill a baggie with water and place the transducer on the baggie lying on the hull to get a good reading shooting through the hull. You might have to move it around to get a good reading and find the spot where you can epoxy it.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 4:36pm
can anyone post pics of what the wiring looks like under the dash so i can see as it would hung up to the ignition. thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 8:15pm
85, The diagram is in our own ref. section!

85 dash wiring

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 12:02pm
I expoxyd mine and now it gives erratice readings. It worked before. I mounted it by the water inlet. What should I do?
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 12:26pm
With the heavy dense wood cores in these boat it said in my directions that you may not get good readings,and its true.I moved mine everwhere,finally I mounted it on the outside on the back.Sounds like you need a new transducer because you'll damage the one thats epoxied Aaron.Just go back to the manufacter and get a new one.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by 1998Nautique 1998Nautique wrote:

I expoxyd mine and now it gives erratice readings. It worked before. I mounted it by the water inlet. What should I do?

Once you have the transducer epoxied, you're screwed. Brian is correct in that you can get a new transducer and reinstall it where you want. The only way that I know of to get that old one off is get a grinder and go to it. You said it worked before. How so? It worked for a day, a week, a couple years? Or did it work when and where you initially tested it and then didn't work after you epoxied it in place. If the later is correct, you could very well have air bubbles between the transducer and the hull. If it's the former, you might have a wiring issue or the head unit or transducer went south. A little more info might help.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by bmiller bmiller wrote:

With the heavy dense wood cores in these boat it said in my directions that you may not get good readings,and its true.I moved mine everwhere,finally I mounted it on the outside on the back.Sounds like you need a new transducer because you'll damage the one thats epoxied Aaron.Just go back to the manufacter and get a new one.

I'm sorry, have I missed something? Is there a wood core in the hull?

98, You may want to try cutting it off with a hack saw blade. Take the blade out of the frame and wrap some tape around one end to grab on to. Bend it against the hull and you may get lucky and only cut the epoxy and not the transducer. How much $ is a new one?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 4:37pm
Someone correct me if I'm wrong,but it seems theres a wood layer cover by fiberglass that lays under the engine.At least thats what it appears to me.When I had to reseal my drain hole assembly last year,I could have swore I saw a layer of wood there.In fact I'm pretty sure that there it is,but thats on my 78 mustang.I'm sure it may not be true on other models.I can tell you that the transducer does not work good through thick composite materials or wood because the signal can't go through.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 4:55pm
No wood core in CC fiberglass boat hulls (some decks do have wood cores). However, there are various places where wood blocks are glassed in to aid in strength or hold screws better. the drain plug is one such location.

There are several things that foul thru hull transducers. The most common two are:

1. Air bubbles in fiberglass laminate.
2. Water turbulence from running gear or thru hull fittings.
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 5:12pm
Then I stand corrected,thanks David.At least I wasn't wrong from what I saw when I was resealing the drain.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 7:30pm
David, Thanks for the update. I really didn't know if CC had started something new that I didn't know about. The Donzi's were made with a balsa wood core and fiberglass on both sides and don't know if they still are. We think we have problems with rotten stringers but rot in the core of a Donzi is worse!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 7:10pm
Mission complete thank you all for all the help!!!

And it works on the first location died smack in the center of the bilge a little in front of the raw water intake… I duck taped it down I think I might just leave it taped I am scared to epoxy it down because it work as is.

Thanks again
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by 85Nautique 85Nautique wrote:

I duck taped it down I think I might just leave it taped I am scared to epoxy it down because it work as is.

Thanks again

Brian,
I was scared to epoxy mine when I installed it too. The kit that was included with mine was more than enough to do the job though. Just give a little twist to the transducer as you glue it down to make sure there are no air bubbles in there and you'll be fine. Congrats.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic