NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1819202122 50>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 9:28am
any solidity to soaking wood in water and Dawn soap to bend the wood?
im just curious because this is how an old timer told me how the made the curves on his old trojan. he would take the trim pieces and soak them in a capped at both ends pvc pipe with dawn soap and water???
looking beautiful Alan
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 10:11am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

any solidity to soaking wood in water and Dawn soap to bend the wood?
im just curious because this is how an old timer told me how the made the curves on his old trojan. he would take the trim pieces and soak them in a capped at both ends pvc pipe with dawn soap and water???
looking beautiful Alan

Not good info from that "old timer"! He may have gotten away with it since he was "bending" ply for a lapstrake hull. Solids need heat. The steam bending is the proper way. BTW, the steam is simply a means of transfering heat. The moisture has really not much to do with the actual bending.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 10:52am
Not sure about the Dawn, I would hate to introduce anything that might screw up the finish (stain/varnish)later.

The moisture content of the stock is important in it's ability to transfer the heat. Back when these boats were built the builder had a choice of green lumber at their disposal. Green lumber has anywhere from 20-30% moisture content and bent easily in place then air dried on the boat. Today's lumber is all kiln dried down to 6-8% moisture content and the lignin is cured, soaking is done to help transfer the heat that green lumber would easily transfer.

When soaking the 3/8" planks for the Hurricane, after a 24 hour soak the water would still only have penetrated about 1/16" deep. It is fairly common for someone bending a thicker stock like a chine to let it soak for 2-3 weeks. As green stock disappeared the practice of 2 piece laminated chines came into play not just for Correct Craft but builders like Chris Craft went that direction as well.

When steaming, the lignin ( what the wood cells are full of when live or green), is put back into a compressible state. The wood is bent and let to cool, when the lignin cools it retains the curved shape it has been forced into. Basically compressing the cell on the inside of a curve and stretching the cell on the outside.

Green lumber for framework like white oak is still available from specialty mills and comes coated in wax to slow the drying process.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 11:43am
......and this concludes today's lesson on Wood Boat Restoration 101.

Thanks professor,    Good Stuff!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

soaking his wood in water and with Dawn to bend it?
im just curious because this is how an old timer told me how the made the curves on his old trojan.
looking beautiful Alan

Here all the time Eric you thought he was talking about his boat when in fact he was really proud of his weekend.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 4:48pm
Amazing work, Alan. I love looking at the progress you made. Can't wait to see and hear the final product.

Now that you have the new boat, you won't need to install a tower .

Ken
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I've been able to manage a few days work on the hemi over the summer so here's where I'm at

After getting the motor running I stripped it of all accesorries , intake and exhaust manifolfs, etc. so I could clean up the parts and block.

After a good scrubbing I sprayed everything with a 2 part epoxy primer.

After a little research I came up with what I think is the correct color for the engine and had some 2 part enamel mixed up and started spraying.

I then stripped and polished all the bronze and brass cooling system plumbing and gave it a quick coat of clear laquer.

Also sent the valve covers out for chrome and started putting it all back together.

I was getting ready to install the carbs and thought I should clean them up a little first so I gave them a shot of carb cleaner not realizing they had been rattle can painted, you can imaging the mess as the paint just melted off so now I am going to pick up a couple of gasket sets and detail them as well.

Alan,
where did you get your supplies for your method of engine painting? I am planning on painting mine this winter and want it to hold up and am concerned with the durability of rattle can engine paint. What do you think? Is a spray can of engine paint good enough? Or do you think this is the way to go no matter what. Mind you my boat will never be done to the detail you are going in but I dont want the paint to peel off if some gas gets spilled. Someone else suggested the rattle can was ok if you added a clear coat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 6:05pm
I've always had good luck with Duplicolor engine paint rattle cans. They claim to have a ceramic in the formula that handles the heat better. One thing I do suggest is to use their engine primer first. It really makes a big difference on the finish coat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 6:17pm
I went to the local auto body supply store. All PPG products. I used rattle can on my 81 and one drop of gas and the paint would run. The hemi was painted with an epoxy etching primer ( base,catalist) and the top coat is a 3 part enamel ( base, hardener and a reducer).

The finished product has a hard shell, great gloss and gas/solvent resistant. All was sprayed through a $20 gravity spray gun from Harbor Freight.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 6:33pm
Fantastic job on that engine Alan! That is art.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 6:49pm

Not sure about the Dawn, I would hate to introduce anything that might screw up the finish (stain/varnish)later.

The moisture content of the stock is important in it's ability to transfer the heat. Back when these boats were built the builder had a choice of green lumber at their disposal. Green lumber has anywhere from 20-30% moisture content and bent easily in place then air dried on the boat. Today's lumber is all kiln dried down to 6-8% moisture content and the lignin is cured, soaking is done to help transfer the heat that green lumber would easily transfer.

When soaking the 3/8" planks for the Hurricane, after a 24 hour soak the water would still only have penetrated about 1/16" deep. It is fairly common for someone bending a thicker stock like a chine to let it soak for 2-3 weeks. As green stock disappeared the practice of 2 piece laminated chines came into play not just for Correct Craft but builders like Chris Craft went that direction as well.

When steaming, the lignin ( what the wood cells are full of when live or green), is put back into a compressible state. The wood is bent and let to cool, when the lignin cools it retains the curved shape it has been forced into. Basically compressing the cell on the inside of a curve and stretching the cell on the outside.

Green lumber for framework like white oak is still available from specialty mills and comes coated in wax to slow the drying process.

Alan, I am asking, not recommending, but could you set up a "humidor" plastic tent with a humidifier for wood storage, I know flooring starts to pick up moisture at anything above 55% ambient humidity, and working in unconditioned homes under construction in the summer it is not uncommon for me to get subfloor moisture readings of 18 to 20 percent. I typically follow the pouring of cement basements, drywall and priming of sheetrock in the process order. I would think you could nmaintain 70% humidity with out to many issues with mold. if the wood was staked with spacers you could get the moisture content to 18% plus in a few weeks. Would that make a big difference?, Does steamed dry wood give less cracking/opening/shrinkage later?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 7:41pm

I went to the local auto body supply store. All PPG products. I used rattle can on my 81 and one drop of gas and the paint would run. The hemi was painted with an epoxy etching primer ( base,catalist) and the top coat is a 3 part enamel ( base, hardener and a reducer).

The finished product has a hard shell, great gloss and gas/solvent resistant. All was sprayed through a $20 gravity spray gun from Harbor Freight.

I like the thought of that over the rattle can. Now I know what to ask for. I have a few good auto body supply stores around. Ill describe what you said and see if they cant hook me up. Thanks alan!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Alan, I am asking, not recommending, but could you set up a "humidor" plastic tent with a humidifier for wood storage, I know flooring starts to pick up moisture at anything above 55% ambient humidity, and working in unconditioned homes under construction in the summer it is not uncommon for me to get subfloor moisture readings of 18 to 20 percent. I typically follow the pouring of cement basements, drywall and priming of sheetrock in the process order. I would think you could nmaintain 70% humidity with out to many issues with mold. if the wood was staked with spacers you could get the moisture content to 18% plus in a few weeks. Would that make a big difference?, Does steamed dry wood give less cracking/opening/shrinkage later?

In theory yes you could do that, I don't know if it would ever get to the 20-30% moisture level of green lumber though. On the flip side of that, once you steamed and bent the lumber you would have to get it back down to a stable MC or it would continue to shrink back to it's original size when at the 6-8% MC which could take quite a long time, if you didn't it would shrink after install and you'd have open joints. That would be a long process waiting for the wood to dry. The dry time for my method is typically one week for each day of soaking. I soak and bend one weekend and install the next.

Soaking the lumber before steaming only gets the surface or 1/16" depth wet and the purpose is to conduct the steam heat better, the MC of the lumber really doesn't change that much on a short soak. a 3/8" piece of plank stock at 30 minutes in the steam box will come out almost dry but pliable enough to bend.

I will note that not everyone soaks their stock before bending but Dannenberg recommends the practice.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 8:09pm
Makes sense, Our guidelines for flooring is to have the sub floor MC within 4% of the hardwood MC (typically delivered at 7-8%) and never above 12%. Very difficult to achieve in an non-air conditioned structure in Minnesota in August. Does the CPES lock in the moisture content for more stability? I guess building in the winter will always leave it pretty tight in the summer.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 12:42pm
Got a full day in yesterday and made good progress on the Arrow motif.

I was able to get a plank of stock from the mill that once resawn would give me all my pieces for the deck from bow to stern. This was one plank of 5/4 x 16" wide. I spent some time carefully sectioning the stock so the grain would match side to side and also flow seamlessly the length of the boat.

I then cut the old deck off of the 1/4 plywood and shaped it to fit.

I then transfered the old stock pattern to a piece of particle board so I could have a routing template.

Next I cut the plank stock down into 2" strips and cut a half saw kerf for the caulking line. The pieces were attached to the template for a rough cut with the jig saw and then routed to the template.

The pieces were then removed from the template and installed on the boat.

I need to finish cutting the arrow tips and get them installed then I'll move back and rebuild the engine hatches.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 9:19pm
Bow is finished.

Started laying out the aft deck. Also first time I 've really taken a good look at the doors and they are pretty much falling apart so I'm going to have to completely rebuild them.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 9:24pm
It gets a little cooler with each piece you put on!
1987 Ski Nautique

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 3:31am
the engine looks awesome...

Gotta agree...gets better with every picture you post.

this is just unbelievable to follow..thanks Alan!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 11:03am
to think i took a pint size bachhoe on saturday and completely destroyed a trojan woody to get the engines out. i wanted the tranny's for the parts. its a shame because about 10 or so years ago the woman wouldnt sell the boat when it wae prisitne, her husband passed, it was left uncovered in the field since then. my friend is in charge of the storage area and said everything must go, got the pick of about 8 motor homes and camper trailers and about 6 boats, Monday will be a trip back up for a 88 bay bopper, omc 350 and outdrive
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 11:05am
there were 302's btw, if anyone needs the gingerbread off of them
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 11:09am
Eric - You should start a show 'Boat Pickers'.    Need a tattoo lady though.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 11:38am
hah, i think the show would be more of a hit if we called it "shady deals" lol, its a 2 hour drive up there so i gotta make it count, the motor homes are where you find the low mile BBCs, but the boats are a bonus, in one respect I hate this economy but in another it leaves alot of abandoned toys
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 12:15am
Rockin it Alan, keep up the good work.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 7:48am
Truly amazing work Alan!
And that motor sure does look sweet!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 11:48am

After a little research I came up with what I think is the correct color for the engine and had some 2 part enamel mixed up and started spraying.

That engine looks great. I love that color. I searched the thread looking for the name of the engine color (so I didn't get chastised), could you tell me the name? You have done an incredible job and I want to paint my engine that color.

Engine envious,
Wes
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by wwchevy wwchevy wrote:

I searched the thread looking for the name of the engine color (so I didn't get chastised), could you tell me the name?
Wes

Wes,
Alan is probably out in his shop screen printing so I can answer. I'm not aware of a color name. It's just the Chrysler paint they used.

Just in case you were wondering about the engine, it's a Chrysler Imperial. It is a 331 hemi developing 200 HP. It is a true marine engine and really not a automotive with a bunch of bolt ons. Every piece of equipment is engineered into the block. Chrysler's previous Imperial model before they marinized the 331 was a flat head straight 8.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 1:31pm
Wes, Sorry I can't be more help but I could not find any information on a stock paint for this engine. I just found as many pictures as I could of this engine on the internet. Then printed out the one I liked and brought it to a auto paint shop. They custom mixed it for me. You may have to do the same.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 12:12pm
Nothing too groundbreaking this weekend in fact I got a little frustrated working on the engine hatch doors. The garage work area is difficult at best and I must have climbed in and out of the boat at least 100 times. Not much fun but in the end I did make some progress.

First I installed the rear decking. Then I went about fabricating the door frames. This proved quite a challenge as working inside the boat for the first time I just didn't have a good work area set up and it seems I never had the right tool within reach. A little better planning for next weekend will go a long way.

Since the doors are going to be a focal point I really wanted to get them right. I first built the framework as if there would be one large door. Then I went about the painstaking task of getting the arc and the stepped down area on the cross members laid out correctly. The doors rise in height by about 2" from back to front. Once I had one cross member fitted I raised it to the proper height and copied it's arc to each of the remaining pieces. Happy with the fit I then dismantled the frame and went about cutting it in half to form the double doors. This was about my entire saturday with little to show but a good bit of hidden work done.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 1:29pm
alan funny you say that, the worst part about working on trailered boats is the hopping in and out, funny though i watch the greenhorns here and they fianlly figure out (without me telling them)that a tool tray is the way to go with the most needed tools....evolution I laugh because i was that way at one time
coming along very nicely i must say
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 1:42pm
Alan,

Its coming along great, you certainly shouldnt be discouraged. You might just be a little bummed with yourself if you found yourself comparing your work to that fine harley davidson golf cart chris craft craftsmanship.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1819202122 50>
  Share Topic