Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Skiier Stringer Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 11>
Author
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 9:38pm
You would be correct my friend. Any comments?
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 9:44pm
Pete,

Sorry, these pictures were in response to your comment on page 3. I found the manual to my camera. Ya'll are going to get a bunch of pictures now that I know how to send them.

Off to work in the rain tonight!

BTW, I am about at $900 right now which includes two primaries, 6 gallon's of epoxy, tools and supplies and some fiberglass cloth. Will probably buy my next batch of cloth on Ebay.......great deals on it there.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 10:21pm
US Composites is about as good as it is going to get. Plus they offer free tech advice.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 10:50pm
problem in the bow is that they put that wire hose ain't that hard and then it was foam over..if any hole was there..water entering trough the vent system due to a nose dive will end up in the foam instead of going to the bilge..thats why guy here put PVC pipes instead of putting that wire vynil hose back again!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

problem in the bow is that they put that wire hose ain't that hard and then it was foam over..if any hole was there..water entering trough the vent system due to a nose dive will end up in the foam instead of going to the bilge..thats why guy here put PVC pipes instead of putting that wire vynil hose back again!!!
Kapala,
that makes perfect sense to me. What kind of pvc do I use? Something flexable I suppose. Will see you in the morning, got to start driving now.

scott
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 11:56pm
The foam is closed cell foam. It is somewhat water resistant, but will soak it up if soaked for long enough. You can buy it at US composites, or lots of other places online. Usually, you use 2 lb foam.

Replace the dryer ven hoses with PVC plumbing pipe Just by it at lowe's or wherever. a few elbows and 45s and you are there. You may want to run soft hose from the bow vent to the point on the floor where your PVC will pope through the floor, but definitely use PVC under the floor.

Don't sweat the wood, you'll get over it. Just measure three or 4 times before you cut. You will be really PO'd if you cut one wrong and have to do it over again.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 12:01am
scott you really need to read some of the other threads but here it the set up i mean with the pipes

weeding the pumpkin patch

this one of the best documented threads in this site!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 11:07am
I used a thin walled gray PVC on the Mustang. I have a piece in my shop I can get the schedule # off for you. It is way lighter than the thick walled white stuff.
It has been mentioned repeatedly to go dig up stringer threads. I know you are busy and feel under the gun, but the time you take to read these project journals will be returned to you as you work through this task. I guarantee it will save you some headaches.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 12:57pm
I agree with Kap and Mike. Read, read, read. I admire the tenacity with which youre tackling this project, but I would highly recommend you slow down a bit and come up to speed on the methods and materials involved. There is a TON of information on this site, and it covers everything from hull prep, material selection, tricks and tips, etc. I have restored several of these boats from the hull up, and even with my latest project (Another BFN Rebuild) but I have spent countless hours planning. I expect the rebuild to go much more smoothly because of it. You dont need to take it as far as I did, but having a good plan in place before you proceed will pay dividends in the end.

A few quick comments though:

1. Remove every last bit of foam from the boat. Even the stuff way up in the bow up high was soaking wet on my Ski Tique.

2. I highly doubt I will refoam a boat like it came from the factory. Even with improved methods and materials, water will find its way in. This is a hotly contested topic, so inform yourself before deciding which way to proceed.

3. Getting rid of all the gel in the bilge is a good way to go, but grinding does suck. At least get rid of it everywhere where you'll be laying new fiberglass (along the stringers, etc). Gel is brittle, so bonding directly to glass instead will produce a stronger structure.

4. You'll want to address the weak points of the factory design in your rebuild. This starts with better materials (epoxy, for example) but you can also beef up certain problem areas. This includes weak bulkheads, poorly sealed drains- like the battery box, leaky vent hoses- replace with pvc or similar like was mentioned, sealing up all screw holes with epoxy or 5200, etc.

5. Save some budget for other "while Im in there" costs. Things like replacing the bilge pump hose, new control and/or steering cables, fuel lines, etc, are easy to replace with the boat disassembled. You'll need new flooring too- carpet, vinyl or otherwise.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 7:19pm
Hello everyone,

I will probably not be able to use our computer for at least a couple of days due to maintenance.

I read some of the threads today like everyone has told me to do but can I just ask one more teeny, wheeny question before I unplug it at 5:00?

Apparently there are two grades of doug fir. One has vertical grain structure and is twice the price of the other which has a horizontal grain structure. I have called lumber companies until my thumb is sore looking for this and will probably buy from Sweetwater in Austell Georgia monday as suggested on this forum. I have to go there anyway as it is the only source in the area so does anyone know why I should definitely buy the more expensive grade($115ea.) or could I go with the other which is half the price? If nobody will see it in my lifetime and it is epoxied and soaked in resin, does it really make that much difference? They told me I would need to have it plained as well which is another $50.

Any responses before I turn this off at 5:00? You guys have not been wrong yet so I will go with what you say. Hopefully I will be back in touch soon.

scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 7:35pm
I think the answers are going to be 50/50 Scott. Just do what's in you budget and what you are comfortable with.

About 1/2, including me used the more expensive straight grain.

Pete is a pretty experienced woodworker, and he felt it didn't make much difference. Greg is a fine woodworker by trade. I don't know what he used, but I believe someone said he used the lower grade fir.

Whatever you do, make sure it is dry. A lot of the lower grade fir is not dry. When it dries, it warps and twists badly, and then you will have a problem.

I just went with the straight grain, kiln dried doug fir because for me it wasn't worth the headaches to think about it.

I don't really understand why it has to be planed.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 7:40pm
P.S. No one minds you asking questions, it is not a bother. However, a lot of the questions are difficult to answer in words, but very easy to answer in pictures. The threads you've been directed to have a lot of photos of foam removal, stringer shaping, stringer bedding, glassing, fiberglass and wood floors, PVC vent lines, etc. etc. A picture is worth a 1000 words as they say.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 7:51pm
My boards were 8/4. Actual 2" boards like from days of old. I had it planed to 1.5 so it would fit my channels I left on the hull. Our horse barn is built with "real" boards. A true 2x4 that measures 2" x 4". I want to say Greg's boards were 8/4 also.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 9:02pm
   Look at this. The factory duct taped the black tube together which explains why the wood right next to it is rotten. That's pretty shabby. The other beam probably rotted due to the air duct from the scoop leaking and rotting it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 9:22pm
Yep, and they were still doing that in 82. Was the same on my boat. Don't know if/when that practice stopped. BKH
Livin' the Dream

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

Hello everyone,
I read some of the threads today like everyone has told me to do but can I just ask one more teeny, wheeny question before I unplug it at 5:00?

Apparently there are two grades of doug fir. One has vertical grain structure and is twice the price of the other which has a horizontal grain structure. I have called lumber companies until my thumb is sore looking for this and will probably buy from Sweetwater in Austell Georgia monday as suggested on this forum. I have to go there anyway as it is the only source in the area so does anyone know why I should definitely buy the more expensive grade($115ea.) or could I go with the other which is half the price? If nobody will see it in my lifetime and it is epoxied and soaked in resin, does it really make that much difference? They told me I would need to have it plained as well which is another $50.

Any responses before I turn this off at 5:00? You guys have not been wrong yet so I will go with what you say. Hopefully I will be back in touch soon.

scott

Scott,
You're not paying attention!! Read page 3 again or this answer:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I just wanted to stop and take a minute to personally thank EVERYONE who is taking their personal and valuable time to help me with this project. You guys are very unselfish and generous to offer your expertise to someone you have never met but I just want you to know I sincerely appreciate it and am taking all advice as the Gospel!
scott

Scott,
Thanks much I'm sure from all of us. I really feel the CCfan group is unlike any other you will find. It's more family than anything. When you get that boat done or even if you don't, you really should try to make it to one of the reunions and meet some of the group in person plus have a great time. (bring the whole family)

Regarding the straight vertical grain Doug fir, I hate to contradict others but considering you're getting it from Sweetwater even the lesser always looked fantastic. Greg (BuffalowBFN) was the first to discover them and I don't believe he went with the straight vertical grain. Greg, tell me if I'm wrong. The vertical grain means it slightly stronger because all the grain runs pretty much in the same direction. It's hand selected from the outside of the log sort of like quarter sawn is from the center. If you look at Keegans pictures of his stringers, his Doug fir isn't the vertical grain and it still looks great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 11:30pm
I guess not . will try and do better. I have no excuses. My first opportunity to read is saturday and sunday night this week.

On my computer at work. Headed out and will check back in the morning.

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 6:02pm
Good news! I removed the drivers side primary stringer today. I now can dread the other side. Removed the black plastic housing with the duct tape on it and tossed it. Took the primary outside and stripped the gelcoat/fiberglass off of it and can now can trace an exact copy of it on the new wood I am picking up at Sweetwater in Georgia monday morning. I see now how they figured the back end of the stringer under the gas tank by splicing two boards together. I was worried I would tear up the hull of the boat getting that thing out of there but I looked underneath and did not see anything.

All my epoxy resin and cloth came in yesterday. I also made a template today for the engine mounts and took a ton of measurements to make sure I put everything back in its place. I may add a second bilge pump above the battery box because water always seems to stand there for some reason while the boat is docked.

I can't put any pictures until I get our computer back. Using my laptop now. I still can't figure out how the end of the stringer under the stearing wheel remains so wet since last august when I used it last? I guess it has to be leaking from that wiring tube, who knows. I don't see how it could leak anywhere else unless it came through the side of the boat.

Replacing the fuel line while I am at it. Has a 1973 date on it. Can't wait to start putting everything together instead of prying and grinding.

ya'll keep in touch...........I am going to get this website and the reading portion figured out one way or another.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 6:48pm
My fuel line had 1973 printed on it too. They must have bought a lot of that to still be using it 2 years later. Man you are flying along! I have not made any progress this week with the weather since I am working all outside.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

My fuel line had 1973 printed on it too. They must have bought a lot of that to still be using it 2 years later.    

I need to replace all of my lines also.   Does anybody have a good source? The places I have looked are 2.25-3.00 a foot for type a uscg approved line. Ouch!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by 79TiqueRebuild 79TiqueRebuild wrote:

Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

My fuel line had 1973 printed on it too. They must have bought a lot of that to still be using it 2 years later.    

I need to replace all of my lines also.   Does anybody have a good source? The places I have looked are 2.25-3.00 a foot for type a uscg approved line. Ouch!

Where are you looking?? Overtons or West Marine???

USCG fuel line

EDIT: Wow! Go2Marines is per Inch so I didn't help out!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 11:31am
Don' ask me why but I am hesitant to start working on the boat today because I feel like I am fixing to screw something up. I read a bunch of threads last night and too many facts and figures entered my head and I am worried I am fixing to ruin the boat.   

I have one primary out, I guess I should start grinding and prep. I am leaning on more support and no foam. It sounds like if you could get away from foam, go for it but I don't want to compromise the safety of the boat. On the other hand, if I sealed the wood with epoxy resin and all the joints, it should be 100% better than it was and virtually no water could get access. I need to read threads and figure out how you guys make the floor of the boat the carpet will lay on with no plywood and only fiberglass mat(seems like it would never work)or am I totally confused?

Should I support the boat underneath and how or is leaving it on the trailer sufficient? A lot of you guys do but I was told by the head correct craft maintenance guy in florida to not worry about it if it's on the original trialer.

Can I give a big plug to my supplier of boat building materials? Go to www.raka.com and speak with Larry. They encourage personal phone calls and I have bought from them 5 or 6 times and I would put Larry's knowledge of resin and boat building materials up against anyones.

Well, let me go outside and see what I can get in to.

Scott

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 11:43am

I still can't figure out how the end of the stringer under the stearing wheel remains so wet since last august when I used it last? I guess it has to be leaking from that wiring tube, who knows. I don't see how it could leak anywhere else unless it came through the side of the boat.

SR - Your boat may be leaking at the rub rail. This is a common problem - my boat is leaking there too.

I am going to remove the rub rail & seal the hull/cap joint with 3m 5200 sealant.

FYI & good luck on your project!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I used a thin walled gray PVC on the Mustang. I have a piece in my shop I can get the schedule # off for you. It is way lighter than the thick walled white stuff.

4"   PVC S&D 3500# Super Crush ASTM D2729

I painted the part that sticks into the bilge with BilgeKote.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 1:18pm
Sounds like a part that went on the Space shuttle. Where do I get such an item as this?
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 1:23pm
I would have never thought of that. I will definitely look into that. People are amazed when they see my rubrail because it looks basically brand new after 35 years so I need to be careful with it. Is it hard to do? Thanks a ton.

scott
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 1:50pm
If you go with a no foam rebuild like me you will need to use a thick plywood floor glassed to the hull.   The foam actually supported the old fiberglass floor. I am going to use 3/4 or 5/8ths ply, bonded to the tops of the stringers in thickened epoxy and to the hull and bilge with a layer each of 2" and 4" 9oz cloth. Then a couple of layers of 1.5oz mat over all the plywood.

These boats are not rocket science and there are a million different ways to skin this cat. I am finding that I am going to need to support my hull even though it is on the OEM trailer. There is enough sagging that I think it is going to make a difference on the final fit.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 3:02pm

I would have never thought of that. I will definitely look into that. People are amazed when they see my rubrail because it looks basically brand new after 35 years so I need to be careful with it. Is it hard to do? Thanks a ton.

scott

Unscrew the rail from the boat. Underneath is the joint where the hull and the top cap are riveted together. Tape the bottom edge (so you don't get goo on the gel you can see when the rail is on) and run a bead of 3m 5200 Marine Sealant along that seam. Re-install the rubrail as it was.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 5:20pm
keegan,

What do you think about the idea of using luan instead of plywood? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I built a hunting layout boat covered in lunan and fiberglassed over with the same materials I am using now and it is solid as granite and a fraction of the weight of plywood. I would just have to add more stringer and support to use wood instead of foam and a ton less money. My supplier at RAKA.com also said he saw no problems with luan. Your thoughts?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 6:18pm
Scott,
Why Luan? It's underlayment and one of the cheapest pieces of junk wood sheet goods you can find at the home center/lumberyard. It's not even put together with exterior grade glue!! Stick with exterior grade 5/8 ply (if no foam), do what's proven itself and leave the "home handyman boat building books alone"!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic