NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

off topic winter projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 9>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 2:32pm
Interesting.

I'm replacing the saddle on this 1965 Gibson LG-0. Gibson used hollow plastic bridges for these at the time, and, as you can imagine- they were bad then and are even worse now.

Gotta get me some deep-C clamps and a pin reamer- Harbor Freight! Then I'll have to fab up some cauls. Should be interesting.

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Interesting.

I'm replacing the saddle on this 1965 Gibson LG-0. Gibson used hollow plastic bridges for these at the time, and, as you can imagine- they were bad then and are even worse now.

Gotta get me some deep-C clamps and a pin reamer- Harbor Freight! Then I'll have to fab up some cauls. Should be interesting.

Very cool.

Just not enough time for all the hobbies. My guitars sit idle; I never played very well anyway.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 2:50pm
Something else to sink serious money into. They can be a money pit. Nothing compared to a boat though.

Is that a plastic bridge btw?

edit: NM I reread you post, that was a dumb design? So much tension on a piece of plastic. Are you replacing with wood?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

[QUOTE=M3Fan] Interesting.

Very cool.

Just not enough time for all the hobbies. My guitars sit idle; I never played very well anyway.

Send them to me, Ill play them!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 2:55pm
Well if I get the time my winter project besides the Hurricane is going to be to build a new set of speakers for the home 2 channel system. I've been slowly adding to my system over the last 5 years or so and with the addition of a pair of Manley 100w tube monoblocks my components have now surpassed my speakers.

here are my manley snappers

With a limited budget the speakers I WANT will never be affordable so I did a bunch of homework and settled on a DIY design from a speaker designer in Denmark. I just received all the components so now it's down to finding the time.

Each speaker has 2 -10" woofers, 8" mid and a 1" waveguide tweeter. They are both front and rear firing and presurize a central open bottom transmission line horn.   All the feedback says these are reference level speakers so I'm excited to get started.

Here's some pictures of a set a guy in Italy made. Mine will be similar except I prefer a piano black finish and will add Cherry wood inserts to match our current room furnishings. Think I'll start a thread once I get going.

Ps. This hobby is as addicting as collecting correct crafts.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 3:07pm
[QUOTE=81nautique]   

QUOTE]

Are those EL84s?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

Something else to sink serious money into. They can be a money pit. Nothing compared to a boat though.

edit: NM I reread you post, that was a dumb design? So much tension on a piece of plastic. Are you replacing with wood?

It's a terrible design. I found a guy online who makes replacement, identical bridges in rosewood with bone saddles for these LG models. 45.00 shipped to my door! Amazing! These "Little Guitar" models are really gaining a cult following these days and are worth a decent buck. Very simple construction- all mahogany, ladder bracing. My mom bought this new back in the day but it's been a wreck for the past 20 years or so. Time to bring back the sound.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

It's a terrible design. I found a guy online who makes replacement, identical bridges in rosewood with bone saddles for these LG models. 45.00 shipped to my door! Amazing! These "Little Guitar" models are really gaining a cult following these days and are worth a decent buck. Very simple construction- all mahogany, ladder bracing. My mom bought this new back in the day but it's been a wreck for the past 20 years or so. Time to bring back the sound.

Very cool another one saved. Yes the "parlor guitar" is making a comeback no doubt about it. Plus its a gibson so it will always be relatively desirable. Vintage guitars are also the thing right now, thats why I am making a new guitar to look like an old beat up one. Not sure everyone outside of music really understands that, just like tube amps . I never play through anything but.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 3:59pm

[QUOTE=81nautique]   

QUOTE]

Are those EL84s?

yes sir, I have a NOS set of Svetlana winged 34's coming!!!    
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 4:51pm
nice!!! Hard to find good tubes these days. 4-EL84s is what is in my vox ac-30 and 3-12ax7s in the preamp
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 5:13pm
This is my winter project.

Just acquired for next summer, a 1997 Fiat Barchetta, a 1.8ltr classic Italian design sports car.
Barchetta means 'little boat' in Italian. It was collected from the previous owner on the Martinique trailer. Took the beds off, laid some ladders on the frame and some planks on these so it could be driven on and off.

It has been abused by previous owners, but nothing terminal that TLC can't sort out.

1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 7:04pm
That is a beautiful car. It doesn't look abused in the photo.
I can imagine cruising the Grande Strada delle Dolomiti in late spring with the top down. I am envious!
Much happiness and enjoyment to you!
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 7:06pm

nice!!! Hard to find good tubes these days. 4-EL84s is what is in my vox ac-30 and 3-12ax7s in the preamp

I read your post too quickly, they are EL34 tubes. I eventually may try a set of KT77's as they are supposed to be awesome tubes but an 8 tube swap gets pricey.
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Well if I get the time my winter project besides the Hurricane is going to be to build a new set of speakers for the home 2 channel system. I've been slowly adding to my system over the last 5 years or so and with the addition of a pair of Manley 100w tube monoblocks my components have now surpassed my speakers.

With a limited budget the speakers I WANT will never be affordable so I did a bunch of homework and settled on a DIY design from a speaker designer in Denmark. I just received all the components so now it's down to finding the time.

Ps. This hobby is as addicting as collecting correct crafts.

The other thing I REALLY love. More on the home theater side than the 2 channel side. I plan to build wave guide speakers for the new room (which be on the second floor of the new boat garage )
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by must_dash must_dash wrote:

This is my winter project.

Just acquired for next summer, a 1997 Fiat Barchetta, a 1.8ltr classic Italian design sports car.
Barchetta means 'little boat' in Italian. It was collected from the previous owner on the Martinique trailer. Took the beds off, laid some ladders on the frame and some planks on these so it could be driven on and off.

It has been abused by previous owners, but nothing terminal that TLC can't sort out.

Wow, more jealousy...
89 SN
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 12:13am
I have tried for the last few winters to complete my 70 Chevelle ragtop...

with any luck, maybe this winter?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 12:25am
I am always amazed Steve when you do something with a Chevy,you end up buying another Ford
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 2:52am
In

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 2:55am
In addition to finishing the Mustang, I am taking my 89 Turbo GTC in to have my Quaife limited slip differential installed. I hope to borrow a set of slicks and improve my ET to under 12:70 ( I have only taken it to the strip once and made 5-6 passes on street radials). Unfortunately, it won't be back in time to do it before the strip closes at the end of October.
Steve is not alone. I buy Fords, drive a GM, and race a Chrysler. I will change to Ford for my next car if my present one ever wears out.

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 2:09pm
cool stuff! I would like to have a project car one day but I dont have the expendable income for a project that big currently. Still recovering from the great boat hemorrhage of 2011-2012.
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 2:34pm
The Barchetta is a true older CC, lots of wet foam!!
The previous owner in a wonderful moment of cleverness locked his keys in the car (OK we've all done it) and then proceeded to cut the stitches holding the rear plastic window in the hood. He didn't repair it and then left it in a field for 6 months without covering it.....

Result 2" of water in the 'little boat'. The 'carpet' is a heavy 11/2" thick moulded open cell foam thing that now weighs over 50lbs as waterlogged.
Currently that is out to dry along with the seats and complete center console and forward console as they are fitted in the factory after the floor has gone in. It doesn't look as if this has caused much damage.

The hood and frame can be unbolted and taken to the local boat cover maker to have a new zip sewn in the hole and a zippered window made.

Also needs a new timing belt, reccommended every 40k miles and last 2 owners (since 2007) have no idea if it has ever been done and it now has 124k miles. While you're in there a new water pump (driven by the timing belt)and Variator (Variable valve controller) are recommended while in there.
1986 Martinique - sold

must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 3:08pm
A few more photos

And the inside with everything stripped out, just not sure where the bilge pump goes.....
1986 Martinique - sold

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 4:02pm
haha, thats a cool little rod. Why is the union jack hanging in your garage? Its not an MG.
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 4:41pm
Union Jack is for the 'displaced Pomme' that owns the car. Guess I should get a Italian flag for the car and a US flag for the CC when that goes in in 2 weeks time.

I think the Barchetta has nicer lines than its contemparies of the MG-F and the Mazda MX5. They were more popular as the concept of a front wheel drive sports car hadn't taken off.
1986 Martinique - sold

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 4:41pm
That is a pretty old car to have VVT, I assume it is mechanical. I haven't found any performance figures for your toy, but it sounds like it would be a peppy practical cruiser for the twisties. Am I mistaken, or did they trash one of these in an episode of Top Gear?

must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 4:56pm
Quote from web:
“This 1.8-litre is the first Fiat engine to use variable valve timing, a system that twiddles with the intake timing through the rev range to ensure you get a steady flow of power and torque as you put your foot down. Then engine peaks at 6300rpm (700rpm short of the red line), where it dishes out a healthy 130bhp, by which time you've been through the torque peak (121lb ft at 4300rpm) to get it to 60mph in just 7.9 secs - that's quicker than a turbocharged Punto GT. And Fiat hasn't only succeeded in getting raw numbers out of it, either, because it's also a gutsy little engine to listen to.”
Suspension: front: Macpherson strut, lower wishbones, coil springs, anti roll bar
rear: Independent beam with trailing arms, offset coils, anti roll bar
Brakes: front: Ventilated disc, rear: Solid disc
Weight: 1060kg
Top speed: 125mph, 0-60 8.6 secs

How the variator works

Top gear probably did trash one, they do with most things. :) Google says that they have compared it to other cars in at least 4 episodes
1986 Martinique - sold

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 5:03pm
Now I remember. I believe that after trashing all of the cars on the cross country comparision / demolition derby, they liked it the best of all of them.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 5:22pm
If it sat in a field uncovered and now the foam is wet I have to ask,did you check the stringers?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by must_dash must_dash wrote:

I think the Barchetta has nicer lines than its contemparies of the MG-F and the Mazda MX5. They were more popular as the concept of a front wheel drive sports car hadn't taken off.

Another reason the MG's were/are more popular was their history and the club scene,at least in the US. But now that they have been gone over 30 years here they are becoming a memory. And now that the Chinese are involved it's not even an MG anymore.
Is it easy to get parts for? Looks great in the pictures.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 5:32pm
This is from the 'Middle East Challenge' The 3 cars are now in Top Gear exhibit at the UK National Motor Museum.

More info on the challenge here

Tom
1986 Martinique - sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic