NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moving in to the garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 9>
Author
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving in to the garage
    Posted: November-21-2011 at 2:38am
So my wife probably thinks I am moving into the garage because I have been busy and going to get busier with boat projects. I am planning on doing the good old floor/stringer replacement and some engine performance upgrades while I have the engine out.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 2:48am
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

I am moving into the garage because ....

Its where most of us end up sooner or later anyway.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 2:48am
The first step was to organize and heat the garage.

I built some shelving for our boards and ski stuff

I insulated the garage and installed some 220v heat.

Then my wife made me a giant canvas curtain to separate the heated workspace from the rest of the garage.

Its been a busy november but there is lots more to come.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 3:01am
The PO cracked the exhaust manifolds so I removed them ground them down and welded them.
Here they are before with the cracked V'ed out

and after they were welded and ground back smooth

I plan to take them to the machine shop to have all the mating surfaces milled.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 9:07am
Justin,
It was sure nice of your wife to make you the canvas curtain. She must want you to spend time out there in the new garage!

Watch out for the electric heat - I have it in my garage down here and it's always a shock when the electric bill comes it in the winter months. I installed it (5000 watt/17,000 BTU) just because I had the power handy and didn't want to run a gas line out to my garage. I took the easy route but now pay for it with the electric bill!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 9:44am
you close to Mohawk lake Logan?
"the things you own will start to own you"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 10:17am
When she starts sewing pillow cases for you you may have crossed the line!

Nice work area. Hope you plan to do your grinding outside.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 10:52am
Justin - How did you weld the manifold? Did you preheat it? Stick weld?   Nickle rod?

Cast iron can be tricky!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 11:14am
Yes preheat the oven to 425, add water, flour.......oh wait sorry, and yes used the nickel rod. I tried brazing first but I just couldnt get it to take for some reason, seemed like alot of impurities or something in the iron, the nickel rod was no sweat. I hope it holds, I brought it back down in the oven as well.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 11:18am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Justin,
It was sure nice of your wife to make you the canvas curtain. She must want you to spend time out there in the new garage!

Watch out for the electric heat - I have it in my garage down here and it's always a shock when the electric bill comes it in the winter months. I installed it (5000 watt/17,000 BTU) just because I had the power handy and didn't want to run a gas line out to my garage. I took the easy route but now pay for it with the electric bill!

Yes pete it was very nice, well she loves boating to so I just say hey this will get your baby on the water and it happens. She got a slammin deal on the fabric too, she loves deals.

Yes, I know the pitfalls of the electric heat but I made the same decision you did that I just didnt want to shell out all the money at once to run the gas out so I kinda knew it would be more of a monthly payment plan. My buddy had an 15,000 BTU 220V garage heater he sold me for 80 bucks and since I had the juice all I had to do was wire it up. I figured it would be a get by for this winter.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 11:19am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Ya, I actually have some leftover plastic and was kind of planning on making a quarantine tent over the boat. What do you think of that plan? Its gonna be cold outside!!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 11:33am

Ya, I actually have some leftover plastic and was kind of planning on making a quarantine tent over the boat. What do you think of that plan? Its gonna be cold outside!!

That would okay but you'd need to incorporate an exhaust fan or you won't be able to see anything let alone breath. If at all possible bundle up for the cold and do it outside.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 11:39am
I know this may seem like a dumb question but if you're worried about the high electric bill wouldn't it make since to use a portable kerosine to heat up the garage first then keep it there with the electric heat?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I know this may seem like a dumb question but if you're worried about the high electric bill wouldn't it make since to use a portable kerosine to heat up the garage first then keep it there with the electric heat?

Not a dumb question at all!! In fact that is what I have done on a few cold days, really with all the insulation and that super heavy curtain and it really maintains heat pretty well. I just use the electric to maintain and with the thermostat it really runs very little. I just didnt go into great depth on how specifically I was heating the garage. But pete is right because once I start doing fiberglass I will need to leave it on all night though and it will be working hard when the temperature drops.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 11:55am

That would okay but you'd need to incorporate an exhaust fan or you won't be able to see anything let alone breath. If at all possible bundle up for the cold and do it outside.

Ya good point. I guess I have to wait for a balmy winter day and roll it outside. Maybe I could just work by feel, I dont need to see.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 6:22pm
Got the engine pulled. It is living happily on the engine stand and the parts are piling up on the work bench. I need a new dampner and am considering a new starting gear. I am posting a picture of the worst teeth damage on it. What do you guys think? Replace it?

No more engine

Engine on stand

Dampner

These are the teeth with the most wear, there is two or three other wore spots but much less.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 7:59pm
Justin, I just replaced my flywheel and damper. For me, it was just a matter of doing it while I had it apart. The teeth on my flywheel were a little worse than what you show in the picture. I felt that if/when the damper and flywheel caused issues, those issues would come during skiing season and I didn't want to deal with it then. I think that the way to go with the flywheel is just to replace the geared ring instead of buying a new flywheel. My damper showed no obvious issues, but all highly recommended replacement and that seemed reasonable.

just my .02. Lots on here know more than me, but that's what I did.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 8:54pm
Justin,
You need a new dampner!

Regarding the ring gear, you could just flip it around but, they are really not that expensive. Just do me a favor if you do decide to get a new gear, DO NOT go to Autozone!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 9:56pm
Like Pete said, heat the edge of the fly wheel and flip the ring gear over.AND REPLACE the dampner plate.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 11:32pm
I thought that hole inthe dampner might increase HP . I just learned from another source as well that the gear could be heated and replaced so I will probably do that. Trust me I will not go to autozone. I learned never to deal with them through my automotive experience. One time I went into autozone and the guy who worked there told me to get parts elsewhere. Yikes!!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 2:58pm
Baby steps, I removed all the interior pieces last night. The drivers seat pretty much just lifted straight out with the screws still in.

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 11:54pm
carpet is out and my floor isnt in as bad of shape as some I have seen but there are definitely soft spots and cracks.

I think the piece laying to the left was an attempted repair. Can can anyone confirm this? I think the piece around the pylon is part of the rest of the floor on other stringer jobs I have seen

This is the worst crack

Is this worth saving, its real rusty? I have been trying to free it up with liquid wrench and hitting it with a hammer. But it has been tough sledding.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 9:50am
I too would flip the ring gear, clean the other edge, just sent a full drum of those incased dampers to the scrap yard. did you say you were near Mohawk?
an air hammer with a flat bit does wonders on the ring gear
"the things you own will start to own you"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 11:19am
Justin, it's gonna your call on the sliders for the drivers seat. If you can get em freed up and cleaned up reuse them. If not or too much trouble then give Karen at call at mycorrectparts.com a call or go to nautiqueparts.com, they have them I believe.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 11:20am
I wouldnt bother trying to save those seat tracks. You can get new ones with all the mounting hardware for $45 from Nautique Skins.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 11:33am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I wouldnt bother trying to save those seat tracks. You can get new ones with all the mounting hardware for $45 from Nautique Skins.

Ya probably good advice. I have already spent about an hour messing with them. Maybe I will hit them with the torch and see if they free up. If not, in the trash.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 11:34am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I too would flip the ring gear, clean the other edge, just sent a full drum of those incased dampers to the scrap yard. did you say you were near Mohawk?
an air hammer with a flat bit does wonders on the ring gear

Ya I am about a half hour from mohawk.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 12:17pm
I am working on ordering some parts and supplies. I plan to get all my fiberglass from US composites so Ill just call them and work out what I need. How much CPES do you think I should get? I was planning on getting the cold weather formula.

Also, I was planning on cleaning up and painting the engine while it is out. Any reccomendations on this? Are the rattle can engine paints ok? I want something that will hold up and not come off if some gas drips on it or something.
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 12:25pm
hey justin,iam about 2 weeks ahead of you.i used the pcm paint from skidim,very tough and perfect match.i heard you cant get anymore?how are you rebuilding?wood?foam?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 1:19pm

Maybe I will hit them with the torch and see if they free up. If not, in the trash.

When ours freed up so did the ball bearings all over the floor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 9>
  Share Topic