NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moving in to the garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 9>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 10:28am
clamp instead of lag? the rounds you see are drill and tapped for a 7/16ths bolt, there is no tighter way to mount a mount than this, lags are for mastercrafts
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 10:26am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 10:22am
did you rake them towards the bildge or are you level? I always cut them long and then get the chalk line out
very easy to point out the ridgity you are incorporating into the waliking area, you really could get some 3" foam and glue it to the underside of the floor board if you wanted to insulate for noise
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2011 at 1:49pm
Well, Pictures have been more scarce lately but I have been working on it. Alot of tedious and dirty jobs with not alot of change so I didnt think there was much to photo document, except a half inch of dust on everything. Got the tank out and the side of the hull prepped. Took a while to get all of my floor supports cut and leveled but I am finally there. I think I am going to cut and test fit my wood for the floor on that side and then move on to the other side.

I put a litte channel along the stringer so water can flow if it ever gets in there and a plug to drain it. If it ever comes to that.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 6:45pm
Before you do anything else I would put plastic over your dash and every other part you don't want stuff on.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 6:40pm
I follow your reasoning, but I'd have all of that stuff out of the way. The tank, at a minimum, should be out so you can see where you're heading. That combing pad and speaker will get a drip on 'em...so will anything you could've moved in the first place.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Your stringers should extend all the way to the transom... was that not your plan? Looks like the gas tank and some floor are still in the way.

Yes, that will all come out. I slipped out the old and then cut along the inside to test fit my new. I used the old one as a template so it fit perfect all the way back. I have been extra cautious to only remove what I have to until I am sure to install the new. Maybe I am creating more work for myself or worrying too much. This is my first so I am nervous and dont want to make a bonehead move so I like keeping anything original in for reference until its time to install the new stuff.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 3:46pm
Your stringers should extend all the way to the transom... was that not your plan? Looks like the gas tank and some floor are still in the way.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 3:43pm
The only issue with going foamless is making all of the floor supports. If I was doing foam I would have had that side of the hull prepped and the stringers bedded. I do have them all cut and CPESed now but I had to leave the garage yesterday because the fumes where getting to me so I didnt get any pictures. I am going to cut out the new floor and dry fit everything on that side before I bed.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 3:37pm
Hooray, so my first shipment of fiberglass supplies came in! Now I can get to work!

I am dry fitting my stringers and then I will finish grinding and prepping the hull. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track before I remove the rest of the old floor.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2011 at 5:46pm
touche, waterski did make a comment about checking my shaft. I let it go.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2011 at 5:26pm
He did say say they kept him warm while he was checking to see if his shaft was straight.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2011 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You got to see his wife's curtains!

random, mildly innapropriate, nothing unusual.

good thing mrs logan doesnt read the forum. you are gonna get me in trouble.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 8:30pm
You got to see his wife's curtains!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 7:19pm
k let me know. Im sure I will be working on it all winter mostly so if you are busy saturday dont worry that I will get it finished!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 7:10pm
I think I got a buddy having a surprise party Saturday, but I don't know any details so I may be able to swing by anyway. Put me down as a definite maybe.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

well, when are you planning on logging some more time on the project, cause I'd definitly like to learn? I shouldn't ever have to do this to mine, but I always like to learn something new.

I'll work on it a little every night but I'll probably hit it hard saturday.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 7:01pm
well, when are you planning on logging some more time on the project, cause I'd definitly like to learn? I shouldn't ever have to do this to mine, but I always like to learn something new.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

About an hour from Canton @ the end of 76.

Tim

cool, like out past wadsworth? Let me know when you have got that mill ready to rock and roll!
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 6:56pm
About an hour from Canton @ the end of 76.

Tim
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

Justin, Just saw this thread today for the first time, looks like fun. I had no idea you were this far along already.

If you're looking for an extra set of hands, I'd love to come help, and as you know you're not that far away from me. I will warn you that I have little to no applicable skills or experience, but I have a real talent for things like drinking your beer, eating your food, and saying things like, "well that can't be good..." or "oops".

HA thanks adam,
I actually would welcome the company as I have been spending most of the time alone in the garage mumbling to myself. Demo was the most fun. you are welcome anytime just let me know when you are bored and want to stare and drink beer. Who knows maybe you'll learn something. Thats scary as this is my first experience and shouldnt be the one teaching anything. Maybe our next beers will be show and tell at my house.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 6:38pm
Justin, Just saw this thread today for the first time, looks like fun. I had no idea you were this far along already.

If you're looking for an extra set of hands, I'd love to come help, and as you know you're not that far away from me. I will warn you that I have little to no applicable skills or experience, but I have a real talent for things like drinking your beer, eating your food, and saying things like, "well that can't be good..." or "oops".
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

Jlogan-

Probably will have my mill set up for manifolds in the next month or so. Your welcome to come over and run yours.

Tim

Awesome!! Where you at? I am not in a rush on the manifolds but definitely let me know when its set up Ill be all over that!! You think its a good idea just to replace the strut bearing? Probably never been done if I am guess on what the PO did. That would open the opportunity to check the shaft.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 6:18pm
If youre properly aligned, one finger is plenty- even on a fresh strut bushing.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 6:17pm
Can check your shaft too. Also have the tool to remove the strut bearing...
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 6:16pm
Jlogan-

Probably will have my mill set up for manifolds in the next month or so. Your welcome to come over and run yours.

Tim
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 6:10pm
on a slightly unrelated note. I have a question on how freely I should be able to spin my prop and shaft. I can barely turn it with one hand and there is a steady vibration as I rotate it by hand, accompanied by a fairly unpleasant noice. This seems like it could be an alignment issue with the strut. I have also read the rubber in the strut could be dried out. Any thoughts? I have spun it and tried to make sure the shaft is straight and to my eye it appears ok as I spin it. Maybe eric can chime in on this.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

Thanks for the info Justin.
Your 86 design seems to be pretty close to my 84. I notice in this pic of your project you have saved the fiberglass shelf that extended past the stringer and was filled with foam. Bottom left, just left of the bolt head.
Have you given thought to how you are going to re-create this without foam?

Yes, I will be replacing with a plywood floor with supports underneath. I have only temporarily saved the shelf to give myself a reference point as to where the old floor was. Once I have my floor, stringer and support fabricated I will cut out that shelf. I modeled my design mostly after what joeinNY did, except mine is wood instead of coosa.

I tried to save everything I could and do this job one piece at a time. I was worried that if I just gutted it and rebuilt everything at once I would lose reference of where things were. So I intend to cut and fit in the new stringer where the old one was. Check reference to the rest of the boat then install and start working on the next stringer. That way I can reference the other 3 stringers at any given time.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 5:05pm
Thanks for the info Justin.
Your 86 design seems to be pretty close to my 84. I notice in this pic of your project you have saved the fiberglass shelf that extended past the stringer and was filled with foam. Bottom left, just left of the bolt head.
Have you given thought to how you are going to re-create this without foam?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Nice work Justin!
And those valve covers look great, good job!

they had some real deep scratches before but I wetsanded them while watching tv last night with 600 and then 1000 and they have a real cool brushed stainless look now. I am still debating on whether to buff them back to a chrome like finish or just leave them brushed. I am worried the brushed will not hold up as long or get dirty easier.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic