NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moving in to the garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 9>
Author
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 4:19pm
yes the ribbing is what I was asking. Sounds like I could go without but Im sure a few extras wouldnt hurt thats for sure. I guess I wasnt sure how precise I needed to be on the distance between them.

Still working on my shopping list, but I keep waffling on the foam no foam. I think if i go with a ply floor I will do 3 layers of fiberglass in addition, 2 layers of 1.5 oz matt and a final layer of cloth. I was thinking 10 oz but maybe that is too heavy. Then using a thickened epoxy for the mating and filet and the 1.50z mat to laminate the stringers and finish with a layer of cloth. I was going to start with 5 gallons of epoxy.

How does that sound for a start? Any big oversites or issues anyone wants to call out?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 4:27pm
I am not convinced that you can get away with not adding extra supports if going foamless. Get someone smarter than me to weigh in (like Joe) but I would guess that a larger/thinner 2001 hull would need the reinforcement.

You probably dont need 3 layers of glass over the ply floor. One layer per side should be enough- if youre doing both cloth and mat, then alternate them. Start and finish with mat when you can (more importantly finish). At the seams, I would definitely plan to tape at least 3 layers, again finishing with mat when possible.

5 gallons of epoxy probably wont let you finish the stringers, let alone the floor.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 5:00pm
OK Tim, I'm thinking floor and you are thinking floor but also hull. You win!

Regarding the cantilever, maybe you missed this:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim,
Cantilevered? Not really if the floor is glassed to the hull sides.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I am not convinced that you can get away with not adding extra supports if going foamless. Get someone smarter than me to weigh in (like Joe) but I would guess that a larger/thinner 2001 hull would need the reinforcement.

You probably dont need 3 layers of glass over the ply floor. One layer per side should be enough- if youre doing both cloth and mat, then alternate them. Start and finish with mat when you can (more importantly finish). At the seams, I would definitely plan to tape at least 3 layers, again finishing with mat when possible.

5 gallons of epoxy probably wont let you finish the stringers, let alone the floor.

Ok good input there on the resin. I was planning on adding some extra supports if I went foamless. Just wasnt sure how many how often. So it is important to finish with mat? should I even mess with cloth at all and just mat both sides of the wood?

Also I was planning on using the aerosil cabosil as a thickener for attaching the stringers to the hull as well as for filet. Sound ok? Any cons? I think thats what skibum used.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 5:35pm
Pete, if that connection between the hull sides and floor is structural (and not just a seal) then the layup should be sized appropriately... not sure if 3 layers will cut it. Supporting the floor from below is stronger though!

Mat will offer a better finish than cloth. It holds more resin and offers better impact resistance- so it would be my choice for the top of the floor. Cloth, on the other hand, has a very high strength to weight ratio and wont take as much resin... that would be my choice for the underside. Aero-cab is a decent choice for bedding... I think Buffalo used it too. You'll want a high strength filler for this, so Aero-cab and milled fiber were the 2 choices I considered (I used the latter, primarily).

You'll need all of 10 gallons (plan for 12) for the stringers and floor.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 5:55pm

Pete, if that connection between the hull sides and floor is structural (and not just a seal) then the layup should be sized appropriately... not sure if 3 layers will cut it. Supporting the floor from below is stronger though!

Mat will offer a better finish than cloth. It holds more resin and offers better impact resistance- so it would be my choice for the top of the floor. Cloth, on the other hand, has a very high strength to weight ratio and wont take as much resin... that would be my choice for the underside. Aero-cab is a decent choice for bedding... I think Buffalo used it too. You'll want a high strength filler for this, so Aero-cab and milled fiber were the 2 choices I considered (I used the latter, primarily).

You'll need all of 10 gallons (plan for 12) for the stringers and floor.

Gotcha,
what do you think of the 10 oz cloth, do you think that 6 oz is heavy enough?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 5:59pm
6oz is fine- it will make the curves a little easier. The 1.5oz mat will be significantly thicker than either.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 6:53pm
now I called us composites and they suggested for on top of the floor to use two layers of the thinner biax. the 3/4 mat 12 oz cloth combo. He thought that would be ideal for workability and strength. has anyone worked with that? Is it easy enough to form on the corners?

Also I think I have convinced myself to skip the foam. Too many people I respect on this site say you dont need it (eric, pete, joe for e.g.)and the more research I do the more I think I should go without. If I pull a titanic I expect you guys to rescue me.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 7:38pm
surely dont go by what i say, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, ah I think you will see if you build the bottem correctly it will take a half a day for the cavities to fill with water, under the floor you build watertight bulkheads which will also serve as your gussets, with drain holes at the bottems
"the things you own will start to own you"
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 7:43pm
what if you didnt put drain holes in them and just made them water/airtight wouldnt that serve as a flotation cell, unless you had a hull breach (e.g. Titanic)
67425ks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67425ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 10:36pm
This may have been posted elsewhere but I always wondered if you could just order a metric butt load of hollow poly balls from somewhere like mcmaster and jam them in the compartments in place of the foam? If youre really resourceful (cheap) you could take your family to dinner at mcdonalds and steal as many as you can from the ball pit.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by 67425ks 67425ks wrote:

This may have been posted elsewhere but I always wondered if you could just order a metric butt load of hollow poly balls from somewhere like mcmaster and jam them in the compartments in place of the foam? If youre really resourceful (cheap) you could take your family to dinner at mcdonalds and steal as many as you can from the ball pit.

I saw an episode of mythbusters once when they floated a sunken boat by jamming it full of pingpong balls. It worked.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 1:01am
I'm a no foam person after seeing how my American Skier with no foam held up.But I'm curious- is there no foam that will work? closed cell?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 1:20am
well the foam from us composites is closed cell but they even say on their site that after prolonged exposure to water it loses bouyancy (aka retains water). Pete suggests using a spray in foam so as not to shave the top off and expose the cells. I have decided I am going no foam and wood floor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 10:17am
usually if you hit rocks your in shallow water, i dont understand the fascination of the foam thing. if you flip the boat the air will hold it up, if you stuff the boat it pops back to the surface, correct me if im wrong but does the coast gaurd require life jackets? are there guys out there that risk their lives by taking one of these boats deep see fishing 12 miles out?
hah,
I know its an issue that gets thrown around alot, but, I have not really seen a good argument yet on its use, one just assumes because it is in there from the factory that it must go back in there. to me real it was a design flaw and corrected as the boats matured.
if it worked well you still would see the same set-up today, evolution is the word im looking for
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 10:56am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

to me real it was a design flaw and corrected as the boats matured.
if it worked well you still would see the same set-up today, evolution is the word im looking for

Eric, Im not following you... Correct Craft still foams their boats. They did eliminate the wood, though.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 11:07am

usually if you hit rocks your in shallow water, i dont understand the fascination of the foam thing. if you flip the boat the air will hold it up, if you stuff the boat it pops back to the surface, correct me if im wrong but does the coast gaurd require life jackets? are there guys out there that risk their lives by taking one of these boats deep see fishing 12 miles out?
hah,
I know its an issue that gets thrown around alot, but, I have not really seen a good argument yet on its use, one just assumes because it is in there from the factory that it must go back in there. to me real it was a design flaw and corrected as the boats matured.

Ya, it is hard to believe at first that it is a good idea. I spent about an hour on the phone last night with my assistant (my dad) convincing him we shouldnt put it back in. He at first was like, well if you dont need it then why did correct craft put it in. He kept saying what if someone runs into you and cracks the hull open or something, then I said if someone hits you that hard have got bigger issues. He came full circle and now is on my side to skip the foam. I think I am going to install some kind of drain plug in either side so that it can be air tight but I can take the plug out and check on it and drain if necessary. I think I have seen some guys get some fittings, Ill poke around the net but if anyone has a suggestion, let er fly.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 11:17am

to me real it was a design flaw and corrected as the boats matured.

Eric, Im not following you... Correct Craft still foams their boats. They did eliminate the wood, though.

I think the coast guard requires all boats have a certain amount of flotation right?
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 2:38pm
How about filling it with ping pong balls. Quick... someone do the calculation on how many you need.
A gross for $20.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 3:14pm
I just placed my order to us composites. Ouch, now I am poor

No money for pingpong balls thats for sure.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 9:27pm
you gotta eliminate one or the other, so yes the statement is as stated, we are at the leading edge of seeing problems with the composites and the foamed boats 93 and ups....i believe you will see more problems up north here and more in the future.
logan, there called life jackets lol
I believe the law is 22ft and under from the manufacturer, after that not required, i mean at home, they wont board your boat and site you if thats what you are asking,
maybe the same as airbags in a car, allotta cars out there driving around with inoperable or no airbags in them
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 1:00pm
wish I lived closer to florida for two reasons; 1. its freezing in ohio right now 2. shipping my stuff from us composites was 150 bucks. Ouch!

Picked up my lumber this week and I think I got pretty good deals on everything. My Menards had douglas fir in stock! Who knew, the pricing seemed good on it as well.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 12:14am
Got one secondary stringer out and started prepping and grinding the hull for the new one. It came out in one entire piece, it was barely attached to the hull at all. I lifted it out with my hands, but it wasnt that rotted.

These covers were in pretty bad shape when I got them but they are starting to clean up.
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 12:57am
justin,if you dont mind,how much was your wood order and how many 1x6's did you get?thanks
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 12:10pm
I got 2-12ft 1X6 and 6-8ft. We will see if that is enough. It came to around 150$ for those and the plywood. 2 sheets of exterior grade.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 2:58pm
Justin - would you mind sharing your cost for your US composites order? As you can see, I'm about 1 day behind you in my project.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 4:08pm
Nice work Justin!
And those valve covers look great, good job!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

Justin - would you mind sharing your cost for your US composites order? As you can see, I'm about 1 day behind you in my project.

posted on your thread.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Nice work Justin!
And those valve covers look great, good job!

they had some real deep scratches before but I wetsanded them while watching tv last night with 600 and then 1000 and they have a real cool brushed stainless look now. I am still debating on whether to buff them back to a chrome like finish or just leave them brushed. I am worried the brushed will not hold up as long or get dirty easier.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 5:05pm
Thanks for the info Justin.
Your 86 design seems to be pretty close to my 84. I notice in this pic of your project you have saved the fiberglass shelf that extended past the stringer and was filled with foam. Bottom left, just left of the bolt head.
Have you given thought to how you are going to re-create this without foam?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 9>
  Share Topic