NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moving in to the garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789>
Author
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2012 at 11:30pm
engine is stripped and flipped. Gonna get some plastigauge and check the bearings.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2012 at 11:41pm
been looking at angled carburetor spacers and I dont see why they are so much? You can get a 1 inch flat spacer for nothing and the best price i can find on an angled four barrel spacer is the offy for 60. What do you think about this morosois it ok that its open?
espinaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote espinaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 2:19pm
Wow.....I didnt see this post before...Great restoration project you got there.....And great engine.....
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 11:33am
Here is the por-15 aluminum, I am not extremely impressed with the way it brushed on, I will probably top coat it with the paint gun. I was using a really cheap brush though. I think its a little hard to work with because its so runny.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 12:28pm
This weekend, I put in new main and rod bearings, a new rear seal, new oil pump and got the heads installed as well as it mostly primed and prepped for paint.

Deborah helped with tapping out the head bolt holes and installing the heads. She got a lesson on the torque wrench and how to properly torque down the head bolts. I was impressed she did all the bolts. She is small but shes tough, must be her german side.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 2:00pm
looking good!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 3:29pm
looks great! mine is sitting in the same spot i left it in October, my mechanic, got lazy
espinaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote espinaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 3:39pm
Looks very fine....great work!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 12:51am
here she is with some paint
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 3:09am
Looks good!
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 9:56am
Very nice!
espinaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote espinaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 11:23am
I think red is the best option.....and how do you think to paint the manifold, exhaust and covers?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2012 at 1:26pm
the covers are polished aluminum, the intake is aluminum as well and painted with por-15 aluminum paint. I may try a high heat powder coat on the exhaust or just some high heat rattle can black.

I tried to match the red that was on the 90's valve covers. I think my paint might be a little darker but its close. Its the bill hirsch engine enamel, it applied with the spray gun very well.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 4:57pm
some more progress updates. Got the engine mostly back together getting close to being able to drop it back in.

we started putting the carpet in last night and got the sides done, looking like a boat again.
Also my friend Anthony who is an artist came over last night and did some hand painted restoration work on the dashboard lettering. I think its looking real good!!!!!

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 5:30pm
Looking good brother! You are definitely in home stretch!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2012 at 8:59am
Dash board painting looks great, Perfect color for a O-H-I-O engine
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2012 at 10:14am
hah
"the things you own will start to own you"
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2012 at 5:04pm
Go bucs!!!!

we took some time off from working this weekend to go to the indianapolis boat show. Very cool stuff, the fit and finish on the nautiques are head and sholders above the rest.

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2012 at 5:09pm
We did finish the carpet this weekend though so its really coming together now!!!!

I used one of those headlight repair kits on the rubber steering wheel hub (per petes advice) and it came out awesome!!! Now I just need some new decals and the dash resto will be complete.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2012 at 5:22pm
Black carpet? HW's a fan!

For a more finished look, take a lighter to the edge of the carpet (motorbox/bilge). It will smooth it out and prevent runs.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2012 at 5:29pm
good idea.

Ya we like the black carpet, keep it murdered out! It was black before, not sure if that was original or not but its classy.
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 12:28pm
so thats what the hub cover on the steering wheel looks like .mine is so burnt i never knew.how did your buddy do outlining the 2001 on the dash?must have a steady hand.any plans on the speedos?mine are the same condition.the tinted ring around the edge of the glass looks to be the hard part
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 8:25pm
yup he did it free hand. There was just enough left over for him to see how it went.

I actually just did the speedos as well, repained the orange and cleaned up the glass. I just omited the tinted ring. Looks good as new. Ill post some pictures here soon.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 9:41pm
Here are a few more dash photos. The engine is pretty much ready to go back in just a few loose ends. Probably the next warm day it will be back in.

fresh coat of gel on the drivers base
Maximal691 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 9:49pm
How do you like the black carpet so far? I just put mine in and it shows everything. Might need to think about running power to the dock for a shopvac.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 9:57pm
ya, it was black before. The good thing about it is it doesnt show stains! but it shows dirt etc. But that can be vacuumed out. I like it with the look of my boat for sure.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 10:34pm
Is your artist buddy ready for hire?
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 11:58pm
You have come a long way in a short time Justin. Nice work.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2012 at 6:25pm
Thanks dave!

Steve he could probably be farmed out. Those 80s screen printed dashes are all in rough shape and a little custom paint really livened them up. Bring your boats to canton ohio and well get them taken care of.

Still havent come up with a solution for the writing on the buttons, they are too small to free hand.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2012 at 6:32pm
West Marine has Self-Adhesive Switch Labels
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789>
  Share Topic