NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moving in to the garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 789
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 2:03pm
Looks great! Time for some skiing!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 1:35pm
Its Alive!!!!!! Now just a few loose ends and Ill be ready for the water test.

Anyone else hear a clatter, like maybe rocker noise when I accelerate hard? It doesnt do it when I accelerate slow and steady at the end. Thoughts?
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 6:24pm
Lookin good.

Get your strut on yet?

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

Lookin good.

Get your strut on yet?

Yup the 5200 is drying as we speak! Deborah is bugging to take it out wednesday but I think we may wait until the weekend.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 9:34pm
Man that's a good lookin boat. Have you thought of coming down to
White Lake?
This warm weather is motivating everybody.I need to look at my Ford Racing valve covers again seems everyone can make them fit BUT me.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 9:39pm
Will your engine cover close? I used a small ball of clay on the flame arester to check the clearance, worked perfect.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 10:39pm
Have you checked your vibration damper plate? Strange noises have been known to come from loose bolts and worn springs!
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Lakeview Lakeview wrote:

Have you checked your vibration damper plate? Strange noises have been known to come from loose bolts and worn springs!

I was going to say, that rattle almost sounded like something secondary, like outside the engine. If it was a car I'd say it was an exhaust heat shield.

I was thinking about how you said the shaft spins in neutral now. That's pretty common. Did you align on re-install? If you did, maybe there was too much friction on the strut or shaft log to let it spin in neutral before and you fixed it.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Man that's a good lookin boat. Have you thought of coming down to
White Lake?
This warm weather is motivating everybody.I need to look at my Ford Racing valve covers again seems everyone can make them fit BUT me.

They fit but boy it is tight. There was more space but I took the manifolds to the machine shop to be refaced and the amount he took off causes them to touch is spots. So maybe its the exhaust on the valve cover. That would be good news. Thought about grinding a little bit off the inside of the manifolds to improve clearance. Not sure its worth it.

Not gonna make it to WL but I am taking it nashville for the mini. Maybe I should place my hand on the valve cover and see if that changes the tone at all.

Yes I did realign after install. I have cutlass bearings and a new dripless shaft log. There was no shaft hooked to the tranny on that run so I guess that could be why it was so free to spin. No friction at all.

Also that dampner is brand new so I dont think its that. The bolts are definitely tight.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 2:22pm
So are you an Deborah skiing tommorow?

If the inlaws weren't coming over Shannon would probably like to ski :)
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 3:57am
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

So are you an Deborah skiing tommorow?

If the inlaws weren't coming over Shannon would probably like to ski :)

I dknow, it's supposed to rain all day. Looking like Sunday maybe we are playing it by ear I guess.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 11:17pm
Justin,

Is the 1/2 wide pin strip on your boat pale gray like mine?
Mine just needs to be touched up under the gas over flow and a couple other places. Maybe 18in or so but the only way I could get it is 150ft roll.
Anyway if ya need some or enough to re stripe the boat I've got a bunch.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 11:24am
mine was actually black before. It was the double stripe. I just took it off and never put it back on. I intended to just havent. I need to do some gel crack repairs first. Or regel the boat, when I win the lottery.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 11:46am
Ok so the PO had polished the crank and put in oversized bearings, I didnt know and put in standard. This was causing a low end knock, low oil pressure, rocker chatter all kinds of fun stuff. Took the engine back out, put in the right bearings and we had it out on the water 6 hours yesterday.

The one last issue I have to diagnose is that the bolt that holds the distributor tight keeps working loose after a few hours and I have to readjust and tighten. Maybe I should add a lock washer or locktite? Other than that it runs great, better than ever. Also have been getting lots of compliments on the lake as well.

I will have to post some pics of watersports fun being had to prove the successful restoration.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 12:44pm
Glad to hear you got it worked out before you caused serious damage.

Be a little careful on that distributor hold down... make sure it isnt an issue with the distributor gear depth, or the oil pump shaft bottoming out. If you tighten down the hold down bolt and it is pushing the gear to the cam slightly or the oil rod it will quickly wear and loosen up. You would also be in risk of doing serious damage.

If you are tightening down on the distributor base flange correctly there isnt a whole lot of reason for it to loosen up.. a little application of torque should do it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 12:50pm
hmm, well the gear depth on the dizzy is pretty well set with that drift pin right? So it only goes in one spot. As far as the oil pump shaft bottoming out, the shaft is still original. I got the distributor hold down pretty tight with a wrench I was afraid to go any tighter and it still worked loose after a couple hours.

Any suggestions.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 6:34pm
how much torque do you think is correct, its a 1/2 head. 60ft/lbs?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

how much torque do you think is correct, its a 1/2 head. 60ft/lbs?

It'll be more like 10-15; 60 is way too much, you need a spec sheet. Why were thinking so high? Or was it a typo? Are you trying to draw it up tight? Having an aluminum intake matters too.

If it were me, I'd pull the distributer and put it back in without the gasket. Does it sit all the way down?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 7:11pm
Greg is right 60 is way too high

17-25 lbs is the correct number. He has chevy on the brain though.. the ford distributor doesnt mount to the intake manifold at all, and should sit firmly on the block. Yes the gear is pinned on, but that doesnt mean it is pinned on right. It may need a shim or two if it doesnt sit down flush to the block when you drop it in. Most fords distributors I see don't have a gasket just an oring along the OD of the housing where it drops into the block.

Speaking of intakes though... make sure your distributor body and cap are not hitting your intake (or anything on it) and preventing it from dropping down all the way flush and even, if one or both (intake or ignition) is aftermarket there is a chance it needs to make contact with a grinding device to create enough clearance.    

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 7:21pm
Joe is correct, its goes right into the block. No gasket just an o-ring. To my eye it appears to be sitting flush I could try and see if a feeler gauge would fit in there but its really looks quite flush to the naked eye. I know I had it at least that tight if not tighter that why I was asking if it should be higher.

That bolt has been in and out a few times, it is possible that it is just worked loose? I am also thinking there could be a slight build up of paint under it that is causing the ear to not really clamp down very well on the dizzy. It just barely works itself loose, nothing extreme, just enough to shift a little.

the dizzy easily clears the intake. edelbrock performer rpm intake, stock distributor.

Joe when you say it needs a shim, do you mean under the lip of the distributor between it and the block?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 11:10am
Ok so I found shim kits, I should get one for a half inch shaft right?

Also after looking at the shims, does the gear have to come off to get the shim on?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 11:31am
whoa there trigger... the top and bottom of the gear dont contact anything- shims above or below them wont do you any good. In this case you would shim on the surface that contacts the top of the block. But if you are getting good mesh and that surface makes solid easy contact before tightening down maybe it is time for a little loctite and run.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 11:32am
whoa there trigger... the top and bottom of the gear dont contact anything- shims above or below them wont do you any good. In this case you would shim on the surface that contacts the top of the block. But if you are getting good mesh and that surface makes solid easy contact before tightening down maybe it is time for a little loctite and run.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 11:40am
well ya, I see there are two types of shims now, housing and gear shims. I am looking for a housing shim. I thought maybe I would try it with a .010 shim and see if it helped. I guess I will try some loctite first then give the shims a try if that doesnt hold again. I know I had it at least 25ft/lbs before and it came loose after about 2 hours of running.

Then you had me all worried things where too tight in there. I supposed I should take the cap off and check the play in the shaft. That may shed some light on things.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2012 at 2:21pm
Sorry for the confusion.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2012 at 4:34pm
ok I double checked some things. The dizzy was firmly planted in the hole and had appropriate endplay when I took the cap off, so I took off the bolt, cleaned off some of the excess paint, applied a small dab of loctite on the bolt threads and then reinstalled with 25 ft lbs of torque. If that comes loose I will be surprised. I will be back on the water saturday so we will see if that solved the problem.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2012 at 2:06pm
As a quick recap it ran great all summer, after a little carb/coil issues. 45 hours on it since rebuild.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 7:10am
Any "on the water" photos?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 789
  Share Topic